Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did Hughton get away with it tonight?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Shocked to learn that Ince had been binned from the squad last night. Like many others I had assumed he had picked up a knock.

In a poor season, Ince has been one of our most consistent players, displaying maturity beyond his years.

And resting him? What tosh. If he can't play one / two games a week at 22, he is always going to struggle! His body isn't ever going to be in greater shape.

I just hope that being binned off when he has been doing so well doesn't damage his confidence, or worse, provoke him into considering his "options".

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
There will always be games we win when we should have lost and tonight was one of them. However we lost to Forrest when we should have won and we should have beaten Blackpool and drawn with Bolton. As far as I'm concerned, he has a team now that digs in and no one convincingly beats us now.

We are much improved and the arrival of CH is the main reason for that improvement. So if he picked up points tonight against the run of play I for one care not one jot. Onwards and upwards CH and all the lads.

Spot on. I thought we were thoroughly professional last night. Defended in depth and everyone battling for the cause. We scored at the right time and I was impressed with how difficult we were to break down. 2 months ago we would have been well beaten in that game.
If we had set up to play expansive football we would have been battered and we still need points. We have become difficult to beat at home and I for one am very happy with Mr Hughton.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I thought it was a good decision. Rohan's going to be a good player & has had some good games but still consistently gives the ball away needlessly 3/4 times a game.
Holla doesn't catch the eye so much but is tidier.
We rode our luck but grew as the game went on - a very professional win, imo

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
No he got one straight in the face. made me chuckle when the ref made she he was alright.

Very suprised Ince wasnt on the bench if he wasnt injured or ill, he was needed in that spell in the second half. However maybe it was looked at as give him a rest as we have bigger games to come in the next few weeks.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I thought it was a good decision. Rohan's going to be a good player & has had some good games but still consistently gives the ball away needlessly 3/4 times a game.
Holla doesn't catch the eye so much but is tidier.
We rode our luck but grew as the game went on - a very professional win, imo

Ince needed a rest, he has looked a bit jaded of late

However Holla was poor and for me kept giving the ball away, cant run and cant tackle.... so I dont think Mr Ince has anything to worry about...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ince needed a rest, he has looked a bit jaded of late

However Holla was poor and for me kept giving the ball away, cant run and cant tackle.... so I dont think Mr Ince has anything to worry about...

Whilst surprised at the decision, I didn't think Ince was quite 100% at Bolton, so perhaps Hughton has pulled off a masterstroke in giving him a break- which will work out at more or less ten days off in the end. Ince is still relatively young and inexperienced, however well he's been playing. I'm sure he'll be straight back, and I'm also confident that Hughton isn't the sort of manager to just bin a player off without explanation, leaving him to worry about it. I'm sure he'll have told Ince exactly what's going on, in which case he should be fine with it, and ready & raring to go for the next game.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Holla was given the opportunity. CH knew Derby are a much better side, and they showed it. He probably also thought we'd get more than likely get more success from dead ball situations, hence thinking it was a good time to rest Ince, especially as Stephens was on the bench. Holla set up the goal.

He wasn't lucky, it was good management, especially the subs. Were we lucky to win, as it looked like one way traffic at 65 mins? Yes, but show a hell of a lot of professionalism. Best win of the season, with strength from keeper to striker.

We won, Ince will be back on Tuesday chomping at the bit.

A good night all round (hoping Baldock is OK).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What Hughton said about dropping Ince. (from 5.15 in the clip)

“He’s a young lad, he’s played a lot of games. I felt the game was going to be a little bit different today and I thought we were going to have keep that ball a bit better. With Danny, they are different types of player.
Rohan’s done great for us and will continue to do so. I just thought it was the right time to give him a little rest today. “

via

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6rcU92gPpA

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
What's interesting is that CH seems adept at picking the right player for the right match, and similarly making impactful substitutions. He won't always get it right but by golly most of what he has done to date has turn to gold. Long may it continue.

Incidentally, Holla had something like 5 matches without even being in the squad, so if Ince was showing signs of fatigue, you can understand CH's eagerness to include Holla.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Far from thinking a 2-0 win against Derby represented Hughton "getting away with it", I came away thinking how professionally we were set up against a side that could quite easily have tonked us.

Compare and contrast to the Hyypia years. (All right, months, but it felt a lot longer.) I never really understood what the game plan was and it usually looked like the players didn't either.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Agree. But Derby well and truly dominated the game, and could have had a hatful. However it was great to see a great Brighton mugging on a Tuesday night.
How many games in the last few seasons have we dominated and end up losing in similar fashion. good to see a bit of a break going our way ..

Onwards and upwards.

Yes, Derby well and truly dominated the game. I thought at half-time we had done well to keep it at 0-0.
Then there was the first 20 minutes of the second half, and I knew we were going to lose, but would be happy about it because we had done well.
Then we scored!
Then we scored again! Let joy be unconfined.

Yes, we were battered, but we were good enough to survive the battering, and to take our chances when they presented themselves. Lewis Dunk seemed to be doing a good impression of the best bits of John Terry as a defender, and Stockdale seemed solid as a rock. I loved it, particularly the result!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here