Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MLS kicks off Friday

dirtynine

May 1, 2009
Portland has a good atmosphere by our standards (Yank here). They kind of go for the Dortmund vibe with the tifo. This one for instance riffs on the Wizard of Oz and burning down the Emerald City (which happens to be the nickname of Seattle).

As with most things American soccer we're good at the organized stuff but not so amazing at the improvisational genius. I've been to a bunch of MLS matches (Revolution are my home team) and the chants/songs aren't really spur of the moment or comic or poignant in the way an English crowd will do. Still the atmosphere can be quite electric.

By the way, there might be a players strike that delays the start of the MLS season. To be decided in the next 24 hours or so.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Another Timbers fan here. Liked them every since playing with them on Football Manager 2012, even cooler with the chainsaws.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Seattle Sounders, the 'Emerald City'. Supported them (in a previous incarnation) in the old NASL as Peter Ward played for them, then when Seattle got an MLS franchise I was delighted that they kept the traditional name for the Seattle team.

I've been to Seattle, but not in the football (soccer) season. Is it true that Sky are showing the games? That'll be brilliant.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Follow Seattle Sounders myself (naturally as I am also a Seahawks fan). Very close to getting to the MLS Cup final last year, only losing to LA on the away goals rule.

The 1st game match-up between Orlando and NYCFC looks interesting, complete unknown quantity. Orlando have sold over 60,000 tickets as well for that - pretty good for a country where "soccer" isnt even in the top 3 sports !!

Think the issues with players will be sorted as well, MLS will probably cave-in.

Portland has a good atmosphere by our standards (Yank here). They kind of go for the Dortmund vibe with the tifo. This one for instance riffs on the Wizard of Oz and burning down the Emerald City (which happens to be the nickname of Seattle).

And it had a perfect reaction too.......Seattle beat the Timbers 4-2.....oops !!

Last edited:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Seattle Sounders, the 'Emerald City'. Supported them (in a previous incarnation) in the old NASL as Peter Ward played for them, then when Seattle got an MLS franchise I was delighted that they kept the traditional name for the Seattle team.

I've been to Seattle, but not in the football (soccer) season. Is it true that Sky are showing the games? That'll be brilliant.

Yep, two games a week, one at c9pm the other c11pm, depending on time zones etc. i think weekends.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Had a season ticket for Red Bulls a few years ago. Good stadium and reasonable prices but lacks the atmosphere of English footie. NYCFC ~ soccer in a baseball stadium really doesn't work

Why ever not, the pitch fits in quite nicely I'd say, I imagine the view from the stands will be pretty good

image.jpg

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Since the Yankees will be playing during the summer also I don't see how this arrangement will work well. Unless they are laying a new surface over the baseball field. Both first and second base and the dirt infield will be located in the half of the football pitch which is closest to the Yankees dugout (marked by the name "YANKEES" in the illustration). That will be dirt from the penalty area where it meets the goal line to almost where the center line meets the lower touch line. If you have ever played football on dirt you know it can really impinge on the way football is played by pros.

attachment.php

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Have you been? I saw videos of the fans and have half adopted them for the season ahead

It's been about 20years since I was last in Portland, but my aunt lives there and have visited there a few times. Ironically enough I just missed a Harry Redknapp led Bournemouth there in 1989 who were playing a friendly. It's a good sports town and they love the Timbers as much as the Trailblazers and the rivalry with Seattle is excellent. This why I also like Oregon Football.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Absolutely it is. It's probably the closest thing there is in the MLS to Palace v Brighton (but very different) Look out for the chainsaws!

I have been to a couple of Seattle Sounders games at Centurylink Field. The fans do their best but its all a bit cringey. Especially when the brass band pipes up at random points in the match.

edit: maybe the bloke chopping up the tree on the side of the pitch with a chainsaw was Portland?? I can't remember.

the fans at Portland games put the majority of English club's fans to shame though

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Since the Yankees will be playing during the summer also I don't see how this arrangement will work well. Unless they are laying a new surface over the baseball field. Both first and second base and the dirt infield will be located in the half of the football pitch which is closest to the Yankees dugout (marked by the name "YANKEES" in the illustration). That will be dirt from the penalty area where it meets the goal line to almost where the center line meets the lower touch line. If you have ever played football on dirt you know it can really impinge on the way football is played by pros.

I'd imagine, seeing as both sports are professional, and attract big money and interest, they will have thought about the issues of the playing surface, and they have done it before

article-2339994-1A44ED1E000005DC-383_634x365.jpg

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I've seen the Houston Dynamo play a couple of seasons back at the BBVA - one of the years when they lost to LA Galaxy in the MLS Cup Final.

One-time Derby player Giles Barnes is plying his trade there. Owen Coyle's the manager.

I saw that last season, not bad for a player who was considered to be the next big thing.

Been to a new England game, was very odd - 10k in a 90k seater ground.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm delighted it's on Sky.

And as I have close family in Portland (I love the place) I'm most certainly a Timbers fan.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I saw that last season, not bad for a player who was considered to be the next big thing.

Been to a new England game, was very odd - 10k in a 90k seater ground.

Yes, it's not ideal and the atmosphere hasn't been great. But now the Revolution are doing much better under an American manager than under Steve Nichol - truly someone appointed for having a British/Scottish accent and nothing else - I think the case for the owners (who also own the Patriots) to stump up for a new stadium for them must be growing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Metrostars/Redbulls fan here. Have been ever since I bumped into their supporters club in a pub opposite Madison Square Gardens. Not been to a game yet though, but I frequently stream them.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Season kicked off last night. Sky showing a match tomorrow at i think 9pm. Orlando vs ny city, both new teams to the mls. Apparently 60k sell out for this. I will find time to catch this one

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here