Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's all the fault of social workers, healthcare professionals and teachers

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I suppose Cameron is wondering why the thousands of highly paid professionals working for the local councils or the Police in Oxford, or Rotherham or Rochdale (or insert next town), didn`t spot some fairly obvious signs of endemic abuse affecting hundreds of girls in care. Or if they did spot the problem, why they didn`t feel able to escalate. We`re not talking about an isolated incident here. It does seem a reasonable question to me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It was obvious how devoid of ideas and out of touch Cameron was before the last general election. Remember that meaningless "big society" toss? When pushed, he was telling anyone who would listen that it meant we should all muck in and go the extra mile. Naturally, he was sufficiently out of touch to not realise that the UK has more charity workers (the very epitome of giving up free time) than any other nation in the world.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
hang just one cotton picking moment most of this stuff going on has been reported to the police and I am sure it must be against the law, my question would be why the hell are they not smashing doors down and cuffing the criminals doing these crimes, or is it only celebrities they go after.
my other question would be why are there so many social workers and heath proffessionals getting sick to the teeth of not getting any back-up.
come on Dave "we are all in this together" replace dave with any other person who is head of any other political party, pretending to care about us mortals.
how many more young children will go to a police station and ask for help and be turned away because there are more important things to do.
there are to many people paid to do a job but spend time sitting on the backsides shrugging their shoulders when they should be out there banging on doors shoulder to shoulder with social workers and heathcare people who can be there to pick up the pieces without being hamstrung with to many rules and regulations.
one of my friends left social care because he could not "put his shoe/boot in the door" because of regulations ....how many more have been lost due to this ......................give them the ammunition and they can do the job.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Perhaps if all those in positions of responsibility in Rotherham/Rochdale/Oxfordshire etc. had reported abuse ...

In the case of Rotherham at least one social worker did - she was quietly moved from the case.

In the Rotherham example, there seems to have been a deliberate attempt by councillors and the police to prevent social workers following up but it's not all that clearcut. Most of the time it's decided by economics. I remember a Brighton social worker telling me that she was certain that girl she was responsible before was being sexually abused but had no proof and with a shortage of foster homes, social workers had to be 100% sure, suspicions weren't enough.

If CMD wants social workers and teachers to act on their suspicions, there needs to be more support available - which means more foster homes. Prosecuting social workers isn't going to the answer, as Hamilton says, none of them will sit by and ignore suspected abuse, it's what comes after that's important

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Legislate is the answer to everything isn't it? Legislate, legislate, legislate.....it's all the UK can sodding think of.

Perhaps you'd like to respond to the rest of my post too?

Or do you think what has happened all over the country is acceptable, and that those responsible for failing to protect these victims shouldn't be bought to task?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Sorry, you may not like it, but we've learnt from Haringey and Rotherham that is what has happened. well, not deliberately, that's too far, but it has been done knowingly. We can point to workloads, but the problem core is attitudes and approaches to how information, responsibility and decision are passed up and down the chain of management. you could double the number of people in social services to lower individuals workloads, it wont change how they and the organisations carry out their assessments. this isn't a money problem.

You are right. It is about approaches to how information is handled, how responsibilities are laid out and decisions made, and how they are passed up a chain of command. Every step of the way I believe this is done to the best of ability given the support and infrastructure in place. Unfortunately, is bursting at the seams now and we're going to see more rather than less cases until we address the seat of the problem. What is that? I don't know, but it's not about just telling social workers, teachers and doctors to do their job better or they'll go to prison.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sorry, you may not like it, but we've learnt from Haringey and Rotherham that is what has happened. well, not deliberately, that's too far, but it has been done knowingly. We can point to workloads, but the problem core is attitudes and approaches to how information, responsibility and decision are passed up and down the chain of management. you could double the number of people in social services to lower individuals workloads, it wont change how they and the organisations carry out their assessments. this isn't a money problem.
Er, it very much is in part. I won't dispute that mismanagement is rife in some parts of the public sector, but lets not pretend for one minute that their job isn't made much harder by the absurd squeeze on resources.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Perhaps you'd like to respond to the rest of my post too?

Or do you think what has happened all over the country is acceptable, and that those responsible for failing to protect these victims shouldn't be bought to task?

I don't think it's acceptable...and other people have conveyed my thoughts about Cameron's simplistic legislation tosh quite well in this thread.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

We always hear of how funding and resources are needed, but I do agree that of paramount importance is staff attitudes to their work. Even with double the amount of officialdom in Rotherham, does anyone seriously believe that the outcome would have been any different with regard to the vulnerable girl's welfare. I take the other post's point about the seemingly increasing blame culture in the UK, but no matter how many baby deaths, how many girls are abused, how many old folk die on the wards, no one is ever responsible in the public sector or so it seems. Recently I had cause to complain about the chaotic nature of the tablets given to my mum, who has Alzheimers. Initially no one was there to help, all being out of the office, and when I left a message about irresponsible prescribing of drugs, it took literally 5 minutes for someone to phone back and the perpetual obfuscations were a real revelation. Only after I was able to show that errors had been made and said that I was not after blood, did the person concede that a mistake had been made.
Of course health professionals largely do a good job, often under trying circumstances, particularly in A&E, but they like anyone else, should not be immune from justified criticism.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
A lot of people who work in the public sector will know that reporting malpractice, cheating, bullying, or anything of such a nature is frowned upon by senior management, who are just interested int achieving KPI's, bonus targets, and head count reductions. You will be asked to reconsider, asked to look at the big picture, asked are you absolutely certain that you want to put in writing what you have communicated verbally.

It will be made very clear by management, HR, and the person carrying out your next assessment that it is not in your best interests to go public, and that a payoffs are available if you go quietly and sign a confidentiality agreement. Big Brother is already here sadly, and Room 101 has taken on a less violent, but just as effective form, as Orwell's prophetic masterpiece.

In the meantime the demonisation of minorities, the impoverished and the less intelligent will ensure the focus is taken away from the huge derelictions of duty by those in positions of power, as the pound in their pockets, turns into a hundred thousand lobbyist dollars.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We always hear of how funding and resources are needed, but I do agree that of paramount importance is staff attitudes to their work. Even with double the amount of officialdom in Rotherham, does anyone seriously believe that the outcome would have been any different with regard to the vulnerable girl's welfare. I take the other post's point about the seemingly increasing blame culture in the UK, but no matter how many baby deaths, how many girls are abused, how many old folk die on the wards, no one is ever responsible in the public sector or so it seems. Recently I had cause to complain about the chaotic nature of the tablets given to my mum, who has Alzheimers. Initially no one was there to help, all being out of the office, and when I left a message about irresponsible prescribing of drugs, it took literally 5 minutes for someone to phone back and the perpetual obfuscations were a real revelation. Only after I was able to show that errors had been made and said that I was not after blood, did the person concede that a mistake had been made.
Of course health professionals largely do a good job, often under trying circumstances, particularly in A&E, but they like anyone else, should not be immune from justified criticism.

There's another case emerging in the news of Furness hospital where babies and mothers have been dying over 9 years from 2004 to 2013.
The CQC, regional health authority and ombudsman had not acted properly on what they knew either. There was knowledge of five major incidents in 2009 as the trust had revealed them as part of its application for foundation trust status, which is reserved for elite trusts.

But the regulators did not take the necessary action to fully investigate what had happened, and the trust gained foundation status in September 2010.

Dr Kirkup said: "This was a disturbing catalogue of missed opportunities."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31699607

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

I think you're being harsh on social workers.

In the Rotherham example, multiple reports have indicated that case workers did pass this information on, but it was suppressed and/or rejected by senior officials and the police.

Caseys investigation in 2014 also highlighted excessive case loads.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Of course the "social workers, healthcare professionals and teachers" should not take any responsibility for doing their jobs properly. If someone makes a mistake or acts in a negligent manner its not their fault. EVERYTHING is the fault of Cameron/Milliband/Clegg (delete according to your political bias).

This - if another political party got in none of this would have happened and everything would be fine.....

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Will the police be prosecuted if they do not follow up a claim. Wasn't the abuse in Rotherham reported without action?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here