Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driver refuses to move van for ambulance trying to reach fitting baby

Thanks Rivet, I think 99 times out of a 100 it wouldn't be an issue but we have a tight 1 way system here. This is part of what ask the police says;

'It is important to remember that in committing the offence (crossing the stop line) the onus will be on you to provide evidence that you did so to allow an emergency vehicle through, and this may be considered as mitigation.'

Oh and that van driver...definitely a Muppet!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
on a slightly different note , a mate of mine is a floor layer and recently left a job after finding a woman in labour outside the job.....he asked the owners of the house (young couple) to take her to hospital ( nearest 30km's away) they declined so he quickly drove her to hospital and returned to the job to be refused entry back into the house..........they then proceeded to make a claim against the company for late completion of the job.......there really are some duck whitts around.....!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Let's not be too harsh on the guy. He was probably only stopping at the shop for a couple of minutes. He should be allowed to do that. All this nonsense about causing obstructions and such, it never happens. It's just scare tactics from money-making, jobsworth, ticket wardens. We should be allowed to be park where we want.

Let's not be too harsh on the guy. He was probably only stopping at the shop for a couple of minutes. He should be allowed to do that. All this nonsense about causing obstructions and such, it never happens. It's just scare tactics from money-making, jobsworth, ticket wardens. We should be allowed to be park where we want.
Nah. He was probably engaged in an armed robbery. If a chap can't park the getaway vehicle outside the shop, what is the world coming to?

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
I'm 99% certain that Com Res's aren't recorded on PNC (police national computer), which Cautions are.
They're recorded locally on the computer systems of the issuing force. They won't appear on a standard or enhanced criminal records check (unlike cautions)... Their purpose is to prevent the criminalition of people for low level stuff like this, free up time for officers (theyre mainly issued out of the station / custody and have an element of restorative justice attached to the conditions. In this case a fine / donation etc

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
what an utter utter c***

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Utter drivel unless you are fishing..It really is just plain common sense to get out of the way as quickly as possible for any emergency services. The bloke was selfish and a ****. Nothing to do with jobsworths or ticket wardens.

Last edited:

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
It always amazes me why people do not get out of the way of emergency vehicles as they are only doing their job and often face life and death situations. There is no logic in not doing so and you never know when you, or a member of your family, might need emergency assistance yourselves.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Nah. He was probably engaged in an armed robbery. If a chap can't park the getaway vehicle outside the shop, what is the world coming to?

No doubt he could claim under the Human Rights Act (right to family life or smash and grab).

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Lets just hope that in a few years time, when this particular individual is lying in agony in an ambulance, there is another muppet out there who refuses to move.
Never mind about two wrongs not making a right. In this instance, they do.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Obviously:fishing: or you're:drink::drink::drink:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
An apology and a donation to charity?

They should throw the book at people like this. A perfect example of prioritising yourself over everything else in this world. He's only sorry he got caught. Arse.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Just another example of society being Fed-Ex'd to hell. Sadly nothing like this surprises me nowadays.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I got a parking ticket in a very quiet Brighton backstreet, I was parked on a meter bay for a minute while I went for change.
No one else was parked in this street and the warden appeared from nowhere , appealing was a waste of time.

Double park in a busier part of Brighton in a big van and block an ambulance and its ok then?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Double park in a busier part of Brighton in a big van and block an ambulance and its ok then?

Well no, clearly it's not OK, which is why the police have ended up getting involved...?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
It always amazes me why people do not get out of the way of emergency vehicles as they are only doing their job and often face life and death situations. There is no logic in not doing so and you never know when you, or a member of your family, might need emergency assistance yourselves.

It seems to me a lot of drivers are nowhere near alert enough to their surroundings when driving, as opposed to intentionally blocking the way of the emergency services.

Have seen it many times when I pull over but car in front is oblivious to an ambulance/fire engine blazing the blues and twos and then gets all flustered when they've left it too late to pull over.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Surely the question is whether his apology came before it was pointed out that the Ambulance crew wanted a community resolution or after. If after, is he genuinely sorry or is it just a cynical way of avoiding a prosecution? Also, in the same circumstances, would he do the same again.

My view is that he should have been prosecuted and it shouldn't be up to the ambulance crew to decide that. What message does that send out to every other 'white van man'?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Surely the question is whether his apology came before it was pointed out that the Ambulance crew wanted a community resolution or after. If after, is he genuinely sorry or is it just a cynical way of avoiding a prosecution? Also, in the same circumstances, would he do the same again.

My view is that he should have been prosecuted and it shouldn't be up to the ambulance crew to decide that. What message does that send out to every other 'white van man'?

Perhaps the crew decided they couldn't be bothered with the hassle of having to write statements & eventually take a day out of work to go to court etc (only to see him get a £50 fine & a ticking off for obstructing the highway or whatever). I guess a good cause has benefited to the tune of £100 in the end so it's not like it's cost him nothing.

Most cases of people failing to give way to emergency service vehicles are simply down to a lack of attention on the road. It's very rare to find someone doing it just to be bloody-minded, which appears to be the case here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here