Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Going to New York

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Can I just add that the legendary rudeness of New Yorkers is just that, when Mrs Jakarta & I went a few years back she felt a bit unwell on our second night (a Sunday) so I trucked off to a nearby Sports Bar to watch some NFL action.

As soon as my neighbours found out that I had an appreciation of the game going back to the 1980's plus a soft spot for the NY Jets (the Birmingham City of the NFL) I had Beer Buddies until chucking out time. I can't actually remember when that was although I seem to recall they saw me back to our Hotel (The Washington Square in Greenwich Village which I can also thoroughly recommend). :lolol:

A Great City.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bloody love New York.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Can I just add that the legendary rudeness of New Yorkers is just that, when Mrs Jakarta & I went a few years back she felt a bit unwell on our second night (a Sunday) so I trucked off to a nearby Sports Bar to watch some NFL action.

As soon as my neighbours found out that I had an appreciation of the game going back to the 1980's plus a soft spot for the NY Jets (the Birmingham City of the NFL) I had Beer Buddies until chucking out time. I can't actually remember when that was although I seem to recall they saw me back to our Hotel (The Washington Square in Greenwich Village which I can also thoroughly recommend). :lolol:

A Great City.

Yep. New Yorkers were some of the most friendly big-city-people I've met.

Just the best city I've ever had the pleasure to visit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ooooooh get you! Nice one :thumbsup:

I'll point out that I've paid less in cash than any of the economy passengers on the flight will have done (plus a load of Virgin miles that I diligently collect).

It will be worth it to be able to sit at a bar on a plane.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I'll point out that I've paid less in cash than any of the economy passengers on the flight will have done (plus a load of Virgin miles that I diligently collect).

It will be worth it to be able to sit at a bar on a plane.

Yep. I've been lucky enough (also courtesy of air miles) to travel that way & spent most of it at the bar with my fellow travellers. It got a bit messy so the co-pilot came down to have a word but was given short shrift because he wasn't the captain...not our finest moment but a lot of fun at the time.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Not flying Norwegian from Gatwick then?

Anyone on here flown budget transatlantic yet?

I have.

Tbh its not that much different from BA. You can prepay your food and they know which seat you are sitting at so its its just the same really. The eats are also very similar to World Traveller in BA whilst the Premium seats are easily comparable to World Traveller Plus.

The real problem is that they only fly 3 times a week. This means you are stuffed if there a problem with the flight. BA fly 8 times a day which means its a lot easier to get on another flight.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I have.

Tbh its not that much different from BA. You can prepay your food and they know which seat you are sitting at so its its just the same really. The eats are also very similar to World Traveller in BA whilst the Premium seats are easily comparable to World Traveller Plus.

The real problem is that they only fly 3 times a week. This means you are stuffed if there a problem with the flight. BA fly 8 times a day which means its a lot easier to get on another flight.

Cheers: that's useful. Looking ahead they seem to be flying 6 times a week from Gatwick but still a lot riskier as you say.

solly

Aug 31, 2005
If you get a chance to book a walking tour these guys are brilliant, about $250/300 for the full day, take suitable footwear etc as you will be "on the hoof" a lot the day, but this gave a brilliant insight into NY and gave us loads to go back an see more of .. we also took the train out to Coney Island (about an hour) and dipped our toes in the sea at Brighton Beach.
NY is a really cool place Im sure you will enjoy it whatever you do.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I'll be there on Thursday week. Will be going to MSG to see the Rangers. Been to NYC many times as my siblings live there and never get bored of the place.

I have a shed load of restaurant recommendations if anyone wants this?

Bozza, will you still be there on the 12th?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I usually stay at the four seasons but standard hotel at highline is iconic brilliance and fairly cheap. Also has the best roof top bar in NYC at the moment le bain and a beer hall.

Few on this thread pushing NYC food to a mythical level. As a foodie I prefer London can't really see anything you can get in NY that you can't get in London. Case in point is the ridiculous fan fare the opening of Zuma has got there, a restaurant that's been open in London for years.

Saying that if you want brilliance and value try the 2 course lunch offer at jeans Georges off the top of my head its 40 bucks not bad for a 3 Michelin restaurant

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'll be there on Thursday week. Will be going to MSG to see the Rangers. Been to NYC many times as my siblings live there and never get bored of the place.

I have a shed load of restaurant recommendations if anyone wants this?

Bozza, will you still be there on the 12th?

Post the list - I've been a fair few times, but not for about 5 years now, so I'm compiling a list of possibles to visit. The Spotted Pig is probably our only must thus far.

Unfortunately we fly home late on the evening of the 11th.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Unfortunately we fly home late on the evening of the 11th.

What rubbish timing. Gutted me old mate.

Here's the list..............

Cara Mia (Italian) on 9th Avenue between 45th and 46th Streets nycrg.com/cara-mia/ Love this restaurant, food is excellent.

Mole (Mexican) on the corner of Jane St. and Hudson St. There are 4 Mole restaurants but this is the only one I’ve been to. Great Mexican food. www.molenyc.com/

Pastis (French Bistro) on the corner of 9th Avenue and Little 12th Street. This in in the meatpacking district in Greenwich Village www.pastisny.com/

Macelleria which is almost opposite Pastis (one small street down on Gansevoort Street); good choice when Pastis is full and I probably prefer this place. www.macelleria.com

Rare (Steakhouse). Owned by the Affinia Shelburne on Lexington Ave at 37th Street.

Hills Country Barbecue – bit of a novelty the way you order your food and depending what floor you’re on, you’ll either be listening to Blues or Country and Western. Situated on 26th Street between Broadway and 6th Avenue. www.hillcountryny.com/

VYNL is great for lunch. My cousin owns this place. Musically themed and menus on LP's. Situated on 9th Avenue at 51st Street.

PLEASE visit the roof terrace bar that I always recommend. It’s actually called 230 Fifth. Situated on 5th Avenue between 26th and 27th Streets. www.230-fifth.com Absolutely stunning views across Manhattan and you’ll have the Empire State Building in your face.

And obviously I have to plug my mate Shaun's place Foleys on 33rd Street between 5th and 6th Ave. Right in the shadow of the ESB. Loads of Albion stuff in there but the memorabilia he has collected is very impressive. Many NSCers have been here.

Cheers.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Never been to NYC, but everytime one of these threads crops up it really makes me want to go.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Good selection already mentioned. Top of the Rock, Ellen's Stardust Diner, Staten Island Ferry, Brooklyn Bridge, High Line.

One tip. If you fly Aer Lingus via Dublin, you can immigrate in Dublin, which can save you up to two hours waiting in line at JFK. Alternatively, fly to Newark, where there are direct trains to Penn Station. Getting to Manhattan from JFK is a pain at the best of times.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Good selection already mentioned. Top of the Rock, Ellen's Stardust Diner, Staten Island Ferry, Brooklyn Bridge, High Line.

One tip. If you fly Aer Lingus via Dublin, you can immigrate in Dublin, which can save you up to two hours waiting in line at JFK. Alternatively, fly to Newark, where there are direct trains to Penn Station. Getting to Manhattan from JFK is a pain at the best of times.

Can clear US immigration at Shannon on BA from London City too, for slightly more money..

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Has anyone done NYC on a tight budget ? I am FINALLY getting round to booking to go, as every other time I have previously been about to book, something has came up. Have considered using Airbnb as opposed to a hotel, as it might work out cheaper and possibly less "touristy" - anyone got any experience of using Airbnb ?

I would probably use Norwegian out of Gatwick as the prices seem pretty good, also the reduced hassle of having to go all the way to Heathrow.

On the "tight budget" side - what are the best things to do at low cost/free ?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What hotel have you booked?

I'll be there next Friday for the first time (Mayfair, Times Sq). Hopefully going to watch Book or Mormon at Broadway if I get the chance.

Might want to try and book before you go. It's one of only two Broadway shows that they never discount tickets for (can't remember what the other one is- maybe Wicked?) so you won't pick up anything cheap at the TKTS booth last minute, for example.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Might want to try and book before you go. It's one of only two Broadway shows that they never discount tickets for (can't remember what the other one is- maybe Wicked?) so you won't pick up anything cheap at the TKTS booth last minute, for example.

I can't imagine the new Aladdin is discounted yet either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here