Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bolton Wanderers v Brighton & Hove Albion- Championship 28.02.15 **Official Match Thread**

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just watched the extended highlight on player and on that it seemed that we were unlucky to not get at least a draw so not too down. 2 points I think we lost because we wore that awful kit red and black shirts and white shorts lets get back to orange shirts and black shorts. Also their keeper, was he in or out of the box when he punted the ball forward that they scored from?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He was comfortably inside the box when he released the ball, might have kicked it outside the box, but nothing illegal about it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Could be worse, we could support Cowdenbeath.

It's been a rotten weekend, with us losing and crystal palace winning SO I'm putting a bet on Ireland to beat England at rugby and Sri Lanka to beat England at cricket.....it always happens on weekends like this.

:wink:
Better than my racing tips!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not sure of the exact ruling on this as many keepers seem to be right on the line when they kick it. Is the rule it has to be out of his hands inside the box and does the line count as being inside.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's a moot point, he released the ball before the line.

The argument of whether a keeper can be inside the box and handle a ball outside it/be outside the box and handle the ball inside it seems to be one that crops up every now and then mainly because this is the passage of the laws that covers it:

Outside his own penalty area, the goalkeeper has the same restrictions
on handling the ball as any other player. Inside his own penalty area, the
goalkeeper cannot be guilty of a handling offence incurring a direct free kick
or any misconduct related to handling the ball. He can, however, be guilty of
several handling offences that incur an indirect free kick.​

Which reads a lot like it is suggesting if the keeper is in his area he can't be guilty of deliberately handling. However, I believe it is referring to the location of the ball, rather than the keeper.

Which means the same rules that apply to the ball going out of play, crossing the goal line, being placed for a corner, in the keeper's favour. It has only left the box when the whole of the ball has crossed the whole of the line.

It only needs to touch/overhang any point of the line when coming back in to be deemed inside the box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here