Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green Party Leader on LBC

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No I wouldn't pay. I used to pay for Magpie, but that was in the 'old days' when there was no other way to recycle plastic. I expect all waste collections to be covered by my Council Tax.

And I really don't buy this 'no budget' line. The council have got 8 million quid to alter the road layout round Valley Gardens (whether that will be an improvement or not is a subject for another thread!) That apparently has come from some central pot from some government agency. Leaving aside the allocation of the Council's own resources are you really telling me that there is no central government or EU fund that couldn't have been approached to set up a garden waste recycling scheme? Brighton Council (and I accept it isn't 100% the fault of the Greens) simply had other priorities.

As far as I'm aware, grants tend to be for one off setup costs for projects. Even with the ridiculous Valley Gardens project the grant doesn't cover on going costs after implementation - something the council has flippantly suggested would come from local businesses stepping in and paying the costs.

So even if there is a fund for collecting garden waste it would only cover the setup costs which apparently are fairly low. Then there would be the ongoing £1m cost of running the service - where do you suggest that comes from ? How do CityClean find an EXTRA £1m when they are being told to cut £800k ? Why should people without gardens pay for the collection of garden waste ?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
As far as I'm aware, grants tend to be for one off setup costs for projects. Even with the ridiculous Valley Gardens project the grant doesn't cover on going costs after implementation - something the council has flippantly suggested would come from local businesses stepping in and paying the costs.

So even if there is a fund for collecting garden waste it would only cover the setup costs which apparently are fairly low. Then there would be the ongoing £1m cost of running the service - where do you suggest that comes from ? How do CityClean find an EXTRA £1m when they are being told to cut £800k ? Why should people without gardens pay for the collection of garden waste ?
I'm well aware of the difference between capital set-up and ongoing expenditure, I just can't believe there isn't a scheme somewhere to cover it. But assuming there isn't, why couldn't our council have gone down the 'Northampton' route of having just one bin that you chuck everything in, and then they separate it? There would be the one-off capital cost involved in setting up the collection/separation centres (at least part grant funded as per Valley Gardens) and then it would be cheaper to run as you wouldn't need two separate collection rounds or two separate sets of vehicles.

The problem of course is that it needed someone to say: "Right, there's been a lot of mistakes made with recycling in this city and we're going to really get to grips with it even if it means other projects taking a back seat." And if anyone was going to say it you'd think it would be a Green administration, minority or not. As I say, it wasn't a priority; having good recycling rates isn't seen as sexy - not even for Greens.

And the 'why should people without gardens pay' is an old red herring and I'm surprised you bought it up. Why should my wife and I pay the same for refuse collection as the family of five next door who generate far more waste than us? Why should I pay for education when both my children are working? etc etc etc.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm well aware of the difference between capital set-up and ongoing expenditure, I just can't believe there isn't a scheme somewhere to cover it. But assuming there isn't, why couldn't our council have gone down the 'Northampton' route of having just one bin that you chuck everything in, and then they separate it? There would be the one-off capital cost involved in setting up the collection/separation centres (at least part grant funded as per Valley Gardens) and then it would be cheaper to run as you wouldn't need two separate collection rounds or two separate sets of vehicles.

The problem of course is that it needed someone to say: "Right, there's been a lot of mistakes made with recycling in this city and we're going to really get to grips with it even if it means other projects taking a back seat." And if anyone was going to say it you'd think it would be a Green administration, minority or not. As I say, it wasn't a priority; having good recycling rates isn't seen as sexy - not even for Greens.

And the 'why should people without gardens pay' is an old red herring and I'm surprised you bought it up. Why should my wife and I pay the same for refuse collection as the family of five next door who generate far more waste than us? Why should I pay for education when both my children are working? etc etc etc.

??? - they've got more bins and separation than us!

http://www.northampton.gov.uk/info/200084/recycling_rubbish_and_waste/1218/your_waste_and_recycling_collections

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003

No council in the country mixes standard recycling with garden rubbish. Lumping all the rubbish and normal recycling together would indeed save money on the actual collection but then push up sorting costs.

You, and I as it happens, have chosen to have a garden - I don't expect people to pay for the council to take away my garden rubbish any more than I expect others to pay to have my building rubbish taken away. Yes your neighbour might create more rubbish but it doesn't cost any extra to collect as they still get the same number of collections as you. In fact they might actually earn the council more money by putting out more recycling than you. As for education, well I assume that your children went through school and that you quite like having doctors and nurses to help you ? Your comparison is hardly valid.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I would if it were something like a fiver a month

North East Lincs Council has decided to stop free garden waste recycling from April. They plan to charge £30 - £35 a year to empty the brown wheelie bins fortnighlty between April and the end of November. They estimate recycling rates on garden waste will go down from 78% to 30% with the new charge. Although everyone I've spoken to has said they'll put all their grass cuttings and vegetation in with the normal rubbish.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
No council in the country mixes standard recycling with garden rubbish. Lumping all the rubbish and normal recycling together would indeed save money on the actual collection but then push up sorting costs.

You, and I as it happens, have chosen to have a garden - I don't expect people to pay for the council to take away my garden rubbish any more than I expect others to pay to have my building rubbish taken away. Yes your neighbour might create more rubbish but it doesn't cost any extra to collect as they still get the same number of collections as you. In fact they might actually earn the council more money by putting out more recycling than you. As for education, well I assume that your children went through school and that you quite like having doctors and nurses to help you ? Your comparison is hardly valid.

I think we're getting off the point a bit and we're going round in circles. No, I think you're wrong and I fundamentally disagree with your views on who pays and what's fair (what about people who haven't got children!) - and building rubbish/rubble is hardly a regular component. So my comparison is valid, sorry. And those of us with (small) gardens already pay more in council tax as we're in a higher band.

Point taken though with regard to Northampton (I'd misread what a previous poster had said, they DO have more than one bin), although my general point still stands - if they'd really wanted to sort out the recycling in Brighton they would have done so. Wouldn't they?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Greens what 5.9 hike in the Council Tax . :drama:

And they didn't get it ...... thankfully. If anyone wanted to see how pathetic the Greens locally are then they should have watched last nights council meeting and Jason Kitcats performance. Oh, silly me, our council can't even keep a webcast working !!!!!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
And they didn't get it ...... thankfully. If anyone wanted to see how pathetic the Greens locally are then they should have watched last nights council meeting and Jason Kitcats performance. Oh, silly me, our council can't even keep a webcast working !!!!!

That political programme after question time(the name alludes me) summed up the greens perfectly.

an environmentalist movement that is trying hard to reinvent itself in the modern political arena as an anti capitalist left wing alternative to the Labour Party but is struggling to get its message across except to students

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've just watched the Sunday Politics Andrew Neill interview with Natalie Bennett. She manages to hold it together for 18-odd minutes but at best she is a mediocre speaker.

In that interview she confirmed that if the Greens ARE involved in the election TV debates then she'll do two of them. I get the feeling Andrew Neill went a little easy on her in Sunday Politics interview, if he felt like it he could end her career in 10 minutes.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
A very convenient dodge of point 9.

If they had a refuse workforce that actually wanted to work rather than going on strike at the drop of a hat because of a dirty windscreen they may have got somewhere. I'm all for a unionised workforce but GMB have them acting like spoilt children. At least the Greens had the balls to harmonise their wages reduce some of those that were earning more than Social workers (and it was cross party agreed, the conservatives didnt have the balls to push it when in power).

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
If they had a refuse workforce that actually wanted to work rather than going on strike at the drop of a hat because of a dirty windscreen they may have got somewhere. I'm all for a unionised workforce but GMB have them acting like spoilt children. At least the Greens had the balls to harmonise their wages reduce some of those that were earning more than Social workers (and it was cross party agreed, the conservatives didnt have the balls to push it when in power).

Yes the Greens had the balls to implement a very misinterpreted piece of legislation. The main problem Cityclean face is political wrangling between the parties - they have plenty of good ideas on how to improve the service but can't implement many of them without political approval. I for one support the binmen - I doubt you would take a pay cut without a whimper so why should they ?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

I'm really torn on the legalised drugs issue, but I don't see cannabis specifically as that different to alcohol (although I've never smoked it so I'm not that qualified to say). Society in general has no issue with the legal sale of alcohol, and while we might not like the tax rate I don't expect many complain about the general concept of tax being placed on alcohol sales. While the proposal would see the council selling it directly rather than just taxing it, is it that different to booze? I'd certainly like to see it opened up to private providers and market forces though if this did move forwards.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Now that some of the States are legalizing, I fully expect everywhere to follow suit eventually. Its not good for your lungs, but I much prefer it to booze. Feel a whole lot better the next day for a start.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Yes the Greens had the balls to implement a very misinterpreted piece of legislation. The main problem Cityclean face is political wrangling between the parties - they have plenty of good ideas on how to improve the service but can't implement many of them without political approval. I for one support the binmen - I doubt you would take a pay cut without a whimper so why should they ?

I support the binmen too, but there are an awful lot of bad apples in there twisting that still well paid workforce.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here