Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qatar 2022: Fifa taskforce says November/December is only option

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the funny thing i just cant my head round is December is the absolute worst month to stage it for the European countries. if we think beyond our shores, it clashes with champions league and run up to christmas. i was wondering why they didnt advise Jan/Feb when Germany and many of the other northern europeans take a break, and many games end up disrupted elsewhere due to the weather. then i recalled, its the winter Olympics, they dont want to clash with that. so FIFA is putting non-football sport ahead of the interests of European football. madness.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Don't know if this has already come up, and its only of small relevance but someone here has just pointed out that no one in the US will be interested either as the World Cup will now take place slap bang in the middle of the NFL season.

It was quite a big deal over here this summer and another potentially large audience will be lost.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Don't know if this has already come up, and its only of small relevance but someone here has just pointed out that no one in the US will be interested either as the World Cup will now take place slap bang in the middle of the NFL season.

It was quite a big deal over here this summer and another potentially large audience will be lost.

i dont think it has. sponsors are going to love it.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Does our football season really have to close down so that England can go and play 3 games? Seriously why close down the season? A few clubs may be affected but so what? There is plenty of time to plan for it, no excuses. Rugby play their games during the Autumn internationals and the 6 nations. Just get on with it but I guess FIFA don't want our football on the telly while they play their showcase tournament. Fuggem, they should have thought of that before taking the money.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Does our football season really have to close down so that England can go and play 3 games? Seriously why close down the season? A few clubs may be affected but so what?

you may have noticed we have quite a number of international players in our leagues. i doubt more than a handful of the Premier League could field a XI at the same time as the World Cup, and good proportion of the Championship would struggle to put out their best first XI. so planning would involve all clubs agreeing not signing non-English international players, then in the event we dont qualify, we carry on with our programme. if FIFA/UEFA say we can, someone pointed out they dont allow other football during tournaments, dont know if true or they have that authority.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
At the last world cup, 76% of the players came from the European leagues,........that's why this is a crap decision.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
you may have noticed we have quite a number of international players in our leagues. i doubt more than a handful of the Premier League could field a XI at the same time as the World Cup, and good proportion of the Championship would struggle to put out their best first XI. so planning would involve all clubs agreeing not signing non-English international players, then in the event we dont qualify, we carry on with our programme. if FIFA/UEFA say we can, someone pointed out they dont allow other football during tournaments, dont know if true or they have that authority.

Points taken and yes you are right that FIFA will not allow us to televise our football.
My point is that this is 7 years away and allows us to plan. African players are signed in the knowledge that they will not be available if their countries qualify for the ACN. It's not a case of clubs agreeing not to sign players who may not be available at certain times.
I still say that it will only affect a few clubs that should be aware of this well in advance. They are not being taken by surprise.
I maintain that the season should continue, maybe at Football League level but really do not see why everything should come to a halt because a corrupt cabel at the head of football have decided to showcase their event in the desert. This country do not have a league, they have never qualified for the WC, their human rights record is appalling, do I need to go on?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Who knows, 2022 could prove to be the inaugural season for an NFL London franchise, probably playing their home matches at Wembley! September- December, so totally scuppered.

Dec 15, 2014
Here

It would be the Thanksgiving holliday and Christmas shopping season that would cause the most disruption in Americans viewing a Nov/Dec World Cup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here