Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice needed - PC Anti-virus software

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Available in Currys PC World etc at £29.99 for up to 10 devices. My concern and I am still not sure whichway to turn is a simple question is it any better after spending the moneythan the free ones. Is there a definitive answer of what covers what or is it just opinion as somebody likes vauxhall as opposed to ford.

Norton is a Lada Riva amongst those options.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
My main machine is getting a bit dated now, so I use Panda on that one as it's quite light on resources.
My other machines are linux so not the problems associated with microshaft windoze.
You get viruses and malware for free, so I prefer to get rid of them for free as well

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
kl_logo.gif:thumbsup:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I concur re Avast and Malwarebytes. Both free and do the job just fine. I did use AVG for ages, but that seemed very resource hungry as well, so I swapped to Avast.
Exactly the same reason I swapped over (after originally being Avast way back when, when it was a bit rubbish), AVG's newer versions also seemed to get more temperamental for me, which was more than a little annoying.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Have gone down the download Avast route with Malawarebytes so hopefully should be ok not that I visit many different sites.
To be completely honest, the best thing you can use to stop a pc being infected by a piece malware/a virus is common sense (not saying that you don't already).

If you're not sure whether an e-mail is legit, dont open any attechments and just delete it, if you're asked to click on a url/link and you don't know why or it seems a little off, then don't.

Take a similar approach to downloading stuff as well and you'll most likely be fine.

For the times that are unavoidable, the Avast + Malwarebytes combination should see you through.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
WARNING

For anyone with a relatively new laptop, running Windows 8.1, DO NOT INSTALL AVAST! Installed it yesterday along with 'Malwarebytes' and all seemed OK at first. On booting up today I thought I had a glitch on a nigh on brand new laptop, bit pixxed off to say the least. On the 'start/tile' screen all tiles were dead, task manager failed, had to quit and try again multiple times, each time seeing the tiles become less detailed in their appearance.

Did a little research via a tablet and started uninstalling the two programmes. Even when this was done things kept getting worse but then more research uncovered that Avast is not compatible with Windows 8 onwards. Had to do a 'system restore' which took about 30 mins and all is now OK. Thanks Mrs Woody!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Having given up on AVG (very slow and intrusive) and Avast (caused blue screens on my PC), I've started using Avira which seems decent and gets good write-ups.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
WARNING

For anyone with a relatively new laptop, running Windows 8.1, DO NOT INSTALL AVAST! Installed it yesterday along with 'Malwarebytes' and all seemed OK at first. On booting up today I thought I had a glitch on a nigh on brand new laptop, bit pixxed off to say the least. On the 'start/tile' screen all tiles were dead, task manager failed, had to quit and try again multiple times, each time seeing the tiles become less detailed in their appearance.

Did a little research via a tablet and started uninstalling the two programmes. Even when this was done things kept getting worse but then more research uncovered that Avast is not compatible with Windows 8 onwards. Had to do a 'system restore' which took about 30 mins and all is now OK. Thanks Mrs Woody!

I read your warning too late. After many on here saying how good it was I installed it and paid for the premium installation only £9.99 and since then it showed a recomendation to click on safe zone which I did. Now I cannot access anything other than on the internet. Google chrome keeps showing the message Aw Snap reload. They also said if that shows a lot, to turn off the anti virus then adjust the settings to allow Google Chrome then switch back on anti virus but I cannot access anything to switch off theant virus since clicking on safe zone. Its a real pain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here