Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3 UK Schoolgirls gone to Syria

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
We do need to do more to help immigrants integrate, not just muslims. At the moment though i would focus on integrating muslims. That said the leaders in that community need to do more, to be more visible, more vocal. It cannot be right to blame others all the time, its a problem to solve together.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I find it impossible not to have sympathy. It is hard enough being a teenager, I would imagine being a Muslim teenager is particularly difficult at the moment.

I can't imagine the mindset required to believe that they have no future here in Britain, but it must be terrible. While typical Western teenagers will take drugs or have risky sex to deal with life's difficulties, Muslim girls don't have that option.

These girls will have been misled with false promises of Islamic utopia - one can understand why impressionable and unhappy young people would choose to leave their current life for this kind of fantasy.

I just think it's really sad. As always, I think we should be doing more to help Muslim people, particularly the youngsters, feel like they are valued members of our society with a great future ahead of them here in Britain.

Wow!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We do need to do more to help immigrants integrate, not just muslims. At the moment though i would focus on integrating muslims. That said the leaders in that community need to do more, to be more visible, more vocal. It cannot be right to blame others all the time, its a problem to solve together.
No we don't, Britain's muslim population are free to do everything that we can do. I'd say that we are pretty good at that sort of thing in this country.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
No we don't, Britain's muslim population are free to do everything that we can do. I'd say that we are pretty good at that sort of thing in this country.

Well we could just get angry and carry on as is. Doesn't seem very clever to me as it clearly isn't working but hey ho each to their own

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
good for them. So many people I meet these days can hardly be bothered to get out of bed let alone travel to a war zone to be knobbed by a heavily bearded bloke waving his index finger at her while he screams about Allah. Those mess tins won't wash themselves girls! Sign up now for Jihad.

Jesus wept.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just to clarify about this one, I don't mean all Western kids practice drug taking and promiscuity - my point was that when kids are troubled, it's often what they resort to.

I would bet good money that these girls are deeply unhappy with their lives, just like many other of the Muslim youth who become radicalised. I think you would have to be to give up the safety of Britain for a war zone.

Once we consider that these kids are more than likely troubled, it is a lot easier to understand how they could be radicalised. A lot of kids feel as if there isn't much to live for - so consider a Muslim youth who is increasingly finding themselves and their identity isolated or even disliked, they are unlikely to find comfort in drugs or sex - so if one day they discover a fantasy of fighting a holy war, I can understand why they could find it alluring.

I think it's really important to try to understand the mindset of those who radicalised, but also remember that out of the 2.6 million Muslim in Britain, it is still extremely rare.
I think it is more important to remove the folk doing the radicalisation from our society.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just to clarify about this one, I don't mean all Western kids practice drug taking and promiscuity - my point was that when kids are troubled, it's often what they resort to.

I would bet good money that these girls are deeply unhappy with their lives, just like many other of the Muslim youth who become radicalised. I think you would have to be to give up the safety of Britain for a war zone.

Once we consider that these kids are more than likely troubled, it is a lot easier to understand how they could be radicalised. A lot of kids feel as if there isn't much to live for - so consider a Muslim youth who is increasingly finding themselves and their identity isolated or even disliked, they are unlikely to find comfort in drugs or sex - so if one day they discover a fantasy of fighting a holy war, I can understand why they could find it alluring.

I think it's really important to try to understand the mindset of those who radicalised, but also remember that out of the 2.6 million Muslim in Britain, it is still very rare.

You seem to think that they are troubled and giving up something good. I don't think you understand the brainwashing that's going on to tempt them away from solid family relationships.
They aren't running away from anything, but running to an promise of an ideal, a utopia. They are being sold an impossible dream.
There have been cases of girls wanting desperately to come home once they realise the squalor and imprisonment in their own homes that awaits them. There were 3 Austrian girls last October for instance.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Well we could just get angry and carry on as is. Doesn't seem very clever to me as it clearly isn't working but hey ho each to their own
It is working though, as Mustafa keeps telling us it's a tiny minority of muslims that are radicalised, for the vast majority everything is awesome.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Definitely, that's extremely important, but those who are radicalised are not always radicalised by someone. Take Brusthom Ziamani, the black youth who recently got arrested for plotting a copycat murder of a British soldier. He had a very troubled childhood, suffice to say he was unhappy with his life, however he took it of his own accord to "convert" to Jihadism and plan that terrible crime. He found inspiration in the horror stories of war and terror - I strongly suspect that many are radicalised in the same way, without a preacher.
I don't know this fella's back story (or movements/associations within East London) so it's difficult to comment. Thankfully the police found him before he was able to act.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
must admit i am struggling to give a sh*t what happens to them. at that age they may be stupid but they can't be that f8cking stupid.....that they don't know what they are doing. beggars belief.

Indeed.

Ridiculous to suggest that these girls are oblivious to what lies ahead.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I think many are getting fed up with this extreme lot, the trouble, the pandering to them, the appeasing, the excuses, the blame, the thrust on guilt.
This country has it's faults but it sure beats countries that some seem to support or align themselves with.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
They can't use ignorance as an excuse in this day and age with information at our fingertips, no matter how young they are.

The daftest thing is that they are going out there to fight with Islamic State, against Islamic States, with the intention of doing harm to their fellow Muslims.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I actually feel sorry for them. Ask yourself - would you trust a 15 year old version of yourself to make the right decisions? Unfortunately impressionable young people can be easily led, and IS know this.

OK, I may not have got involved in any foreign conflicts as a 15 year old, but I know I made some pretty bad choices as a teenager. Fortunately none of these decisions had the power to wreck the rest of my life.

I hope they are found before they get there.

True enough, if adults were making these decisions then that is their look out but children, that is another matter.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Definitely, that's extremely important, but those who are radicalised are not always radicalised by someone. Take Brusthom Ziamani, the black youth who recently got arrested for plotting a copycat murder of a British soldier. He had a very troubled childhood, suffice to say he was unhappy with his life, however he took it of his own accord to "convert" to Jihadism and plan that terrible crime. He found inspiration in the horror stories of war and terror - I strongly suspect that many are radicalised in the same way, without a preacher.

What do you mean he wasn't 'radicalised' by 'someone'..?

He was brought up as a Jehovas Witness........decided to abandon them and join the Muslim faith. Didn't take them long of course to suggest that their outright savagery was the way forward. He had several meetings with the 'al muhajiroun' (extremist and banned organisation) in the basement of a sweetshop. He was also caught on camera immediately behind Anjem Choudary during one of his speeches.

How can you possibly suggest that he was radicalised without a preacher ?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think many are getting fed up with this extreme lot, the trouble, the pandering to them, the appeasing, the excuses, the blame, the thrust on guilt.
This country has it's faults but it sure beats countries that some seem to support or align themselves with.

I can't say I have ever heard anyone making excuses for, appeasing or pandering to IS. The vast majority agree that they are a vile and hideous organisation who need to be stopped.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You seem to think that they are troubled and giving up something good. I don't think you understand the brainwashing that's going on to tempt them away from solid family relationships.
They aren't running away from anything, but running to an promise of an ideal, a utopia. They are being sold an impossible dream.

Brainwashing such as you describe is far easier when your target is troubled and unhappy. Those selling the ideal and utopia are undoubtedly targeting the troubled, unhappy and marginalised.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The problem with much of Islam is that there seems to be a shorter pathway to extremism, if you have a been labelled by naive British politicians that you are moderate going to pray 5 times a day, structurally modifying your lifestyle and prioritising Islam above anything else then there must only be one or two steps beyond this before becoming quite extreme.

I dont see other religions seemingly start with such a set of conditions, or at least very few choose to follow them so vigorously, so being Christian is generally quite lax in its choices and in its penalties, the journey for those to something extreme seems a far longer and therefore unlikely journey.

Its the acceptance of 'moderate' Islam without challenge which has created an environment where radicalisation is just a few sermons away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here