Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever done any voluntary work?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Have you, do you, what, where, why, etc?

Thinking of having a bit of a go myself, I have the time for it. Wondered how many good citizens inhabit NSC?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I have people volunteering with me at the Rock Garden. Wednesdays, 10-1, light gardening, brilliant team. You'd be more than welcome.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I help out at my local boxing club. Hard work but very rewarding.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Have done junior cricket coaching for 12 years. Would like to do some conservation volunteering for someone like Sussex Wildlife Trust, need to get my act together and find out more about it.

What sort of thing you thinking of Edna?

PG

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I used to volunteer for St. Catherine's Hospice a couple of years ago. Good experience.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I did one Christmas at the Crisis shelter which was hard work but stimulating

I've also worked as a volunteer in a school teaching kids the basics of journalism and getting them to do their writing for a website - that was really satisfying

I've just started coaching at my son's cricket team - does that count?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I used to volunteer for Fareshare (using food that would not be used) and Brighton Fishing Museum.

You're mid Sussex, no? Fancy volunteering for Kangaroo? They take SEN kids out on trips or at a base in HH.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I did one Christmas at the Crisis shelter which was hard work but stimulating

I've also worked as a volunteer in a school teaching kids the basics of journalism and getting them to do their writing for a website - that was really satisfying

I've just started coaching at my son's cricket team - does that count?

Yes, of course it does :) These things can't run without people offering their time, so it absolutely counts.

Itman-dan

Jul 19, 2011
I have been a volunteer youth worker for nearly 10 years now. Really enjoy it knowing I might have helped one young person.

Last edited:

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I used to do a lot of work for the YMCA, and went to work for them in India for a month in their "boys town" orphanages back in 2000 and 2007, very rewarding but unbelievably hard work. A holiday it most certainly wasn't.

Also used to run play schemes and football coaching through them. In return I picked up first aid and PFA coaching certificates which were brilliant and thought they would be useful at the time, as was studying to be a social worker, which I would have done for them afterwards. However they had massive budget cuts and a change of management which meant that a lot of the services I worked with became a "luxury", and in the end they moved their focus to housing and charity shops which was disappointing for the local community.

Since then have done the odd night out for shelter (sleeping rough, not out on the sauce), currently thinking about doing some hours in a charity shop in worthing owned by the cat rescue people I got my mog from.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Have done junior cricket coaching for 12 years. Would like to do some conservation volunteering for someone like Sussex Wildlife Trust, need to get my act together and find out more about it.

What sort of thing you thinking of Edna?

PG

I did have a glance at the Wildlife Trust stuff actually, as Woods Mill isn't far from me. Haven't ruled it out yet :thumbsup:

Have had a chat with someone from a local cub & scout troop and they seem very keen for volunteer assistance. A fair few of the groups seem to have waiting lists, as the number of kids interested is rising, and they can't keep up with demand for adults to run it all. A friend suggested it as her son goes every week and loves it. All seems a bit more adventurous than I recall from my childhood- well, I mean, I was a Brownie back in the day, as they didn't let GIRLS in the Cubs then. They have Bear Grylls involved and EVERYTHING now.

Anyway, as I said, it all sounds kind of fun, so I'm thinking I might go along and say hello, see how it all goes. It seems like a very worthy organisation. Please don't laugh :D

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Have Mentored a few Students going through their Occupational Medicine qualifications over the past few years if that counts.

It didn't hurt that most of them were rather attractive young ladies, I would estimate that 75% of our Doctors are going to be female in the next few years! :cool:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Have you, do you, what, where, why, etc?

Thinking of having a bit of a go myself, I have the time for it. Wondered how many good citizens inhabit NSC?

Ever thought about the National Trust, as they are always looking for volunteers.
My wife and myself are thinking of volunteering when retirement looms :thumbsup:

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Yes, and it's part of my life that I wouldn't swap. I volunteer with the Milton Keynes Reader Service - which means that I read and write for a visually impaired guy.

I would urge you to do something - I'm sure you won't regret it

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here