Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth hope to secure loan deal for Crystal Palace striker Glenn Murray

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The only answer to the problem is to throw more money at it (not open cheque book, but more money). Let's face it, you pay players what they want, and they will come. .

PS Agreed on your pre-amble. The summer recruitment hasn't worked out and Hyypia was proven to be a costly mistake. He's gone and Burke has been sacked. Not much more we can do about that now.

So, given that it is the case, still interested in this idea that throwing, yet more, money at it solves our problems. Give us your top 3 targets that the club should have gone for, in the window, who would have gladly come here (assumption here is that they can't currently get into their own clubs first team squad, the club would want them to leave mid way during the season, the player himself would want to come here to a club who is 20th in the league over and above likely offers from other clubs fighting for promotion or even from Prem League clubs fighting relegation, and if its a permanent signing then to a club with prospects that it could be in L1 next season. Even paying high wages thats a tough offer.
As it happens we landed a Prem League forward recovering from injury who's out of form. Thats who you're playing with.

The other factor is that we already have 4 strikers on the books who if i'm thinking of coming here will look and think , am i going to get a game ?
So who is going to come here, even with more money. Darren Bent ? (don't think so), Anyone else ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In the past this club has always stood by a player with long term injuries

I sometimes think the club is too noble for its own good in the modern game and does the decent thing to the detriment of its overall well-being. It stands by players with long term injuries, and doesn't stand in the way of players who 'want to better themselves'. Maybe time the club fought a damn sight more to retain the talent it has on its books. OK it would mean improved wages for a solid gold player thinking of leaving, but a player's wages are supposed to be confidential, and invariably it would end up being a far cheaper option than trying to secure a like-for-like replacement. This constant penny-pinching on players wages only works to the detriment of the club. IMHO, like.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Do potential players coming here see the big shiny stadium and large crowds and just assume we have loads of dosh? Then price themselves out of a move.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The other factor is that we already have 4 strikers on the books who if i'm thinking of coming here will look and think , am i going to get a game ?
So who is going to come here, even with more money. Darren Bent ? (don't think so), Anyone else ?

Or would they look at our four strikers and think "I'm a guaranteed starter here. Leon Best FFS" ??

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I sometimes think the club is too noble for its own good in the modern game and does the decent thing to the detriment of its overall well-being. It stands by players with long term injuries, and doesn't stand in the way of players who 'want to better themselves'. Maybe time the club fought a damn sight more to retain the talent it has on its books. OK it would mean improved wages for a solid gold player thinking of leaving, but a player's wages are supposed to be confidential, and invariably it would end up being a far cheaper option than trying to secure a like-for-like replacement. This constant penny-pinching on players wages only works to the detriment of the club. IMHO, like.

This, footballers are no different to any other employee, keep them happy and they will stay. Having looked after Elphick whilst injured it made no sense whatsoever to let him go, otherwise why not just terminate his contract whilst he's being carried off the pitch on a stretcher. But I don't think, in it's haste to cut losses (which were £ 8.6 M that year and £ 14.7 M the year after he left ) , that the club were thinking of that when they sold him. They just saw him as a depreciating asset that they could amortise to bring in new players that Poyet wanted, namely Bridge and Upson.

Gus Poyet is the only reason I can think of that would stop Glenn Murray coming here on loan. At the end of the day, even winning promotion with Bournemouth, he is still a Crystal Palace player (do loan players get Championship medals?), and with Bournemouth in the Premier League, Palace won't want him joining a rival club as it weakens them and makes Bournemouth survival hopes much better. I know Zaha was loaned back by Man Utd. to Palace but realistically Man Utd. and Crystal Palace are not likely to be fighting at the same end of the table!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Didn't he get named in the Palace 25 man squad and sign a contract extension? Seems odd that he would then be put on loan.

I suspect it is either a newspaper filling column inches or the agent for Murray stirring it to get him more games.

All a contract extension means is if Palace manage to stay up they can flog him for a bit more money in August :thumbsup:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
All a contract extension means is if Palace manage to stay up they can flog him for a bit more money in August :thumbsup:

Yep. This way Palace get a fee as he will be in demand and the potential new club will also have to meet Muzza wage demands.

Its what they call a Win/Win

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we are winning, the ground will be full to the rafters.

Of course it will, but it won't be happening with the players we have at the moment. Potentially good enough to win a few in League One. Relegation challengers in the Championship though. The squad needs a big overhaul to be competitive at the top end of the Championship.

We will fill the stadium if we top League One though, I agree.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
PS Agreed on your pre-amble. The summer recruitment hasn't worked out and Hyypia was proven to be a costly mistake. He's gone and Burke has been sacked. Not much more we can do about that now.

So, given that it is the case, still interested in this idea that throwing, yet more, money at it solves our problems. Give us your top 3 targets that the club should have gone for, in the window, who would have gladly come here (assumption here is that they can't currently get into their own clubs first team squad, the club would want them to leave mid way during the season, the player himself would want to come here to a club who is 20th in the league over and above likely offers from other clubs fighting for promotion or even from Prem League clubs fighting relegation, and if its a permanent signing then to a club with prospects that it could be in L1 next season. Even paying high wages thats a tough offer.
As it happens we landed a Prem League forward recovering from injury who's out of form. Thats who you're playing with.

As I said at the time (Jan), and I'm repeating now, my targets would have been wingers, proper wingers, not converted strikers, a la Baldock. The most obvious at the time was EB but, as usual, we prevaricated, probably bid too low, and the chance was gone with a change of Norwich manager. I don't see why I should second-guess our whole scouting network and come up with other options; that is THEIR job, not mine, after all, although I admit it is hard to know WTF they are doing most of the time.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If he signs for Bournemouth he could be the first player to score three times at the Amex for three different clubs.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Obviously I have no idea if we would be interested in GM or whether he would want to come back on loan (though it would clearly be more convenient for him than another club location wise.) What I would say though is that he is at least adaptable in terms of playing alone up top or in a two (even a three when we had GM, Ashley Barnes and Chris Wood - quite a L1 strikeforce in hindsight...) I don't know if we can afford it FFP wise but I do know we can't afford relegation.

That said, I am not sure how he is supposed to "mentor" Sanogo while he is out on loan albeit I thought it an odd comment from Pardew anyway given that Sanogo is not their player.

If not Glenn I wonder if Arsenal would like to loan us Chuba Akpom? He looks the part.

el punal

Didn't say that did I? Seems a fair few people agree though.

Bournemouth are meeting FFP on less than half our crowds, and have a squad that makes ours look pony. What I said was there's been a rather large cock-up if, despite probably double their merchandise and ticket sales etc, they can afford a better squad than us, whilst seemingly meeting FFP as 'easily' as we can.

Oh, and anyone that thinks they aren't paying big wages is a fool.
No, but the inference is there. You either trust Tony Bloom and his board to manage the club's affairs in a professional and appropriate manner or you don't. I get the impression you are of the latter.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Prior to the cup game v Arsenal there was some posts comparing The Amex and The Emirates and The Amex came out top in every catergory bar the one that matters, the players on the field. I believe TB has done wonders with The Amex but this season especially has neglected the most important aspect of the club ie the team. Is it a case of he threw everything into Gus getting us up and we failed so are now paying the price.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here