Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Facts that will blow your mind

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If you blocked off the western Mediterranean Sea from the Atlantic (e.g. via a 15 mile wide dam), it would take around 200 years for the sea to dry up completely. Three times more water is evaporated from the Med than the water replacing it from all the rivers that flow into it.

Interesting. There is no tide in the Med either because the water would need to flow through the gap to cause a tide. This leads me on to if the Atlantic is low tide and the Med is normal, is there a slope through the Gibraltar Straights?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
It's not simple, if it was it would already have been done in the over 20 year history of the PL.

It's simplistic in terms of 'blowing your mind'. If a centre half becoming the first player in PL history to score 2 goals before half-term after coming on a substitute blows your mind, I'd suggest you've got a fairly limited one.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Interesting. There is no tide in the Med either because the water would need to flow through the gap to cause a tide. This leads me on to if the Atlantic is low tide and the Med is normal, is there a slope through the Gibraltar Straights?

Ocean currents flowing through the Strait of Gibraltar cause the level of the Mediterranean Sea to rise and fall.

These currents are both tidal and non-tidal in origin. The ocean tide is caused by the gravitational forces of the Moon and Sun, and result in large tidal amplitudes in the Atlantic and relatively small ones in the Mediterranean. If the Mediterranean was a closed 'lake', then its tides would be very small indeed. However, tidal flows in and out of the Strait result in quite measurable tides over much of the western Mediterranean Sea thanks to the input of tidal energy from the Atlantic. Non-tidal flows through the Strait are caused by the weather (both air pressure and the action of the wind across the sea surface) and by differences between the densities of the adjacent Atlantic and Mediterranean.

Why are there no tides in the Mediterranean Sea?

All the tides we experience on Earth are generated in the Great Oceans as a result of their response to the tide raising forces generated by the gravitational attraction between the Earth, the Moon and the Sun.

If the natural resonance period of the body of water matches the frequency of the tide raising forces then it will respond accordingly and a tide is generated. For example, the Atlantic has a natural period of resonance in the order of 12.5 hours and so responds vigorously to the twice daily (semi-diurnal) tide raising forces. The Pacific on the other hand has a natural period of resonance closer to 25 hours and so responds vigorously to the daily (diurnal) tide raising forces. There are, of course, exceptions to both in unique locations in either ocean but to understand why you would need to consult any authoritative textbook on tidal theory.

Other large bodies of water such as the Baltic, Black Sea, Caspian Sea and indeed the Mediterranean do not have natural periods of resonance which align closely with either the diurnal or semi-diurnal tide raising forces. Hence they do not respond vigorously and, consequently, no significant tide is generated. They do respond marginally, however, but the tide is only what I would call “centimetric” and so we deem these areas to have “no appreciable tide” – which for safe navigational purposes can be taken to be less than one foot or 0.3 metre.

Nevertheless, there is a one metre tide at Gibraltar due to the direct influence of the Atlantic tide “spilling” into the Mediterranean at that point. There is also a one metre tide at Venice as the top end of the Adriatic responds more vigorously with a harmonic of the semi-diurnal frequency. Finally, the largest tide in the Mediterranean is at Sfax in the Gulf of Gabes with a 1.5m tidal range for reasons similar to those at Venice.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Nevertheless, there is a one metre tide at Gibraltar due to the direct influence of the Atlantic tide “spilling” into the Mediterranean at that point. There is also a one metre tide at Venice as the top end of the Adriatic responds more vigorously with a harmonic of the semi-diurnal frequency. Finally, the largest tide in the Mediterranean is at Sfax in the Gulf of Gabes with a 1.5m tidal range for reasons similar to those at Venice.

Get a life. I prefer the slope option.
But interesting. I lived in Mallorca for 13 years where there is little or no tide. I visited Brighton with a Spanish friend who wanted to see 'a tide' expecting the water to suddenly flood in.
PS Thanks for not spotting my spelling of Straits.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Defender Lewis Dunk has scored more League goals this season than all FIVE of our officially designated strikers added together. :nono:

Sky sports news think he's a striker. Jeff stelling mentioned something about Dunk's poor goal scoring record over the last few seasons and how he's finally finding his feet. :facepalm:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
There is only one country/border between Finland and North Korea

Mammoths were still roaming the planet when the pyramids were built.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Can't go further down because of the intense heat. You score One point.
Going up.SR-71 Aircraft (25.9km), Satellites, Space Shuttles etc. Nil Points.

Going down has nothing to do with n intence heat. The drills just cant penetrante the rock. So can n i in havr 2 points for that please ?

Going up does turn out to be the same distance of 12,000 klm nefore we need help with oxegen etc.m think thats worth at least a point.

do you not find it interesting even when you ad the diamerter of the earth is 12, 000 klm

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Going down has nothing to do with n intence heat. The drills just cant penetrante the rock. So can n i in havr 2 points for that please ?

Do a bit of research and come back to correct yourself. You've lost your original point.

Going up does turn out to be the same distance of 12,000 klm nefore we need help with oxegen etc.m think thats worth at least a point.

Can you tell me where in the world humans can climb 8-12km without needing help with oxygen?

---

I like your enthusiasm and interest in these facts but you really do need to do some research before you claim them as 'facts'!

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Do a bit of research and come back to correct yourself. You've lost your original point.

Can you tell me where in the world humans can climb 8-12km without needing help with oxygen?

---

I like your enthusiasm and interest in these facts but you really do need to do some research before you claim them as 'facts'!

i probably have forgoten my point.
but dont come on here and ruin facts with facts.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
i probably have forgoten my point.
but dont come on here and ruin facts with facts.

Your point was that man can climb/descend up to 12km without oxygen assistance.

You've also said that the drill at the Kola Superdeep can't penetrate further than 12km due to the rock.

You're wrong on both points unless you can provide a link to say otherwise.

At this moment in time, you're still on 0 points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here