NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
and for me

:ohmy:

giphy.gif

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Being in the south-west corner last night we had a fairly good view of the worst of the battering in the second half. Stockdale was just tremendous. I saw someone somewhere complain about a couple of iffy punches..... But if he judges that was the best way to deal with it, he is the professional goalkeeper.

Despite our lowly position (but improving), we have a far better goal difference than anyone around and below us, and many above us. This is not an accident!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Being in the south-west corner last night we had a fairly good view of the worst of the battering in the second half. Stockdale was just tremendous. I saw someone somewhere complain about a couple of iffy punches..... But if he judges that was the best way to deal with it, he is the professional goalkeeper.

Despite our lowly position (but improving), we have a far better goal difference than anyone around and below us, and many above us. This is not an accident!

One thing I miss being in the WSU cant hear the players on the pitch, does he talk to his defence alot? It looks as if him and Dunky have clicked, but everyone seems to have issues with Greer at the moment.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I reckon Stockers will become an Albion legend after a shaky start.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Just saw a close up view of Derby hitting the crossbar in the first few moments. Stockdale actually tipped it onto the bar! What a night he had yesterday.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Just saw a close up view of Derby hitting the crossbar in the first few moments. Stockdale actually tipped it onto the bar! What a night he had yesterday.

Really? I thought he was nowhere near it. Totally stranded. & that is not a slight on him. Manual neuer, Oliver Khan, Peter schmeichal, or de gea or courtois wouldn't have touched it either

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Slightest touch, but enough

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

We thought this when it happened but weren't sure......might have just been enough to make the difference between staying in and going out. He was already MOM for me anyway...!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One thing I miss being in the WSU cant hear the players on the pitch, does he talk to his defence alot? It looks as if him and Dunky have clicked, but everyone seems to have issues with Greer at the moment.

He does - particularly if they cock up LOL. When he does shout it's quite amusing as he has got a bit of a weedy squeaky high pitched voice, which gets higher as he shouts louder (we're in WSL level with the edge of the 6 yard box so hear a fair bit)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
WHAT a performance that was from Stockdale. Absolutely bloody outstanding.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Without wishing to devalue Stockdale I wonder if Hans Kray Fan Club and all the other goalkeeping experts on here were listening to Peter Schmeichel last night when questioned about the penalty save against Arsenal that he made. I quote" If a keeper saves a penalty it is all down to luck you decide which way the player will put it and hope that he doesnt hit too well and it goes the way you have gone". The view of one of the best keepers ever.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Without wishing to devalue Stockdale I wonder if Hans Kray Fan Club and all the other goalkeeping experts on here were listening to Peter Schmeichel last night when questioned about the penalty save against Arsenal that he made. I quote" If a keeper saves a penalty it is all down to luck you decide which way the player will put it and hope that he doesnt hit too well and it goes the way you have gone". The view of one of the best keepers ever.

That's not quite true these days though. Goalkeepers, coaches and team analysts spend a lot of time watching previous penalties and set pieces to identify patterns and likely outcomes etc. Whilst there is still a certain amount of luck involved, goalkeepers are armed with a bit more insight than just a total guess.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

I think Schmeichel was playing down a little to be fair to him. Of course thats true, but the technique, skills and strengh to dive and save the ball in the first place is still not an easy thing to do. Not to mention any mind games or research before the game on the teams penalty takers etc.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Still refreshing to hear an honest appraisal from one of the best. As he said based on knowledge or past history you decide which way you are going to go, which is where the GK coaches and analysts come into force. One of the best ever keepers for saving penalties was Paul Cooper of Ipswich.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here