Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] HEAD-TO-HEAD: NOTTINGHAM FOREST

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
williams-060215-l229-2252515_478x359.jpg

Gary Williams is mobbed by his teammates.
Image by: The Argus

PUBLISHED
15:58 6th February 2015
by Harry Hepburn

Brighton and Hove Albion and Nottingham Forest play each other for the fourth time at the Amex on Saturday and both sides have had their fair share of success in this fixture during recent years.In the three meetings between the two teams so far at Albion’s new ground, both clubs have shared one win each and a draw.
Forest have the edge in the overall head-to-head record though, with 14 wins compared to eight for Albion, while 10 matches have ended all square.
The two sides first locked horns on 20th August 1949 in an Old Division Three south fixture, which ended in a 2-2 draw.

LATEST NEWS FROM SEAGULLS.CO.UK

Here are three memorable matches between the sides.3rd December 2011
Championship
Albion 1-0 Nottingham Forest

Will Buckley secured the points for Albion with an injury-time winner over the visitors. Buckley’s goal in the second minute of added-on time which concluded a cagey game with few clear-cut chances. The winger received Craig Mackail-Smith’s pass from 12 yards out to slot home past Lee Camp to send the Seagulls up into the Championship play-off places.
17th February 2007
League One
Albion 2-1 Nottingham Forest

Albion came back from a goal down to claim all three points against a high-flying Nottingham Forest side at Withdean. The visitors went down to ten men in the 53rd minute when Nathan Tyson was sent off for a violent conduct after an incident involving Adam El-Abd. Despite the setback, Forest took the lead just two minutes later, as Jack Lester fired home a close-range strike. The Seagulls eventually made their one-man advantage count with two goals in as many minutes. Dean Hammond netted an equaliser with a low free kick after 72 minutes, before Nick Ward pounced on a rebound to make it 2-1. Brighton went on to finish 18th that season, whereas Forest finished fourth and subsequently secured a play-off place, only to be beaten over two legs by Yeovil.
29th March 1980
(Old) First Division
Albion 1-0 Nottingham Forest

Albion were struggling near the foot of the First Division and had the incentive of doing a league double over the reigning European Champions having produced a shock 1-0 win at the City Ground, thanks to Gerry Ryan’s goal earlier in the season. Before the game boxer Alan Minter, who had recently become Middleweight World Champion, was introduced to the Goldstone Ground crowd – and the goal, a 25-yarder scored by Gary Williams, was a knockout blow of which Minter would have been proud. Williams smashed a left-footed effort which flew into the top corner, giving England keeper Peter Shilton little chance. Albion hung on for a vital win and historic double. When recounting his goal many years later he said, "People always remember that goal against Forest. Fans still come up to me now and say 'I was there' – the amount of people who have said that to me means there must have been at least 48,000 fans at the Goldstone that night! But they still come up to me and say, 'I was stood right behind it and I saw it go in!' It’s become sort of a legend. Every time I talk about that goal it gets even better, so now I always start by saying I picked up the ball in Hove Park!"
[h=3]ALBION V NOTTINGHAM FOREST
[/h]SATURDAY 7Th FEBRUARY, KICK-OFF 3PM

[h=3]ALBION V BIRMINGHAM
[/h]SATURDAY 21ST FEBRUARY, KICK-OFF 3PM

[h=3]ALBION V LEEDS
[/h]TUESDAY 24TH FEBRUARY, KICK-OFF 7:45PM

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here