Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The British Open

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I thought that was on the protected list?

Ah well, another great summer sporting event whored off and therefore immediately relegated from being the great national event it once was (see test cricket).

Who has time to watch test cricket ? Most people are at work when it's on in this country. Put your radio on.

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
Got to say I'd much rather have the Golf than Wimbledon. I would not mind paying more of a Licence Fee if they binned things like Strictly, Eastenders and new ways to cook a Bolognese, more money going towards important things such as Sport.

All down to opinion I guess.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Every household pays over a £140 per year , which is a huge budget bigger than sky and bt , it' needs to live in the real world and have its license fee removed and see how it copes

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Every household pays over a £140 per year , which is a huge budget bigger than sky and bt , it' needs to live in the real world and have its license fee removed and see how it copes

Sky, BT have more revenue per year now than the BBC licence fee revenue + commercial income. So bigger budgets than bbc.

£145.50 per year is about £3 a week. Less than an albion programme. Lower than any sky subscription and pays for 8 TV channels, 12 national radio stations, iplayer, the world service and Johnny Cantor's commentaries on radio sussex 46 times a year.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

That's odd, as I do research into broadcasting, and I'm sure the last figures revealed

BT had total revenue of £18.1 billion
Sky had total revenue of £7.6 billion
BBC had total revenue of £5.1 billion

Where did you get your figures from?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The BBC will carry on making costume dramas and selling them to just about every country in the world and making a packet and then give you Strictly Come Dancing and maybe another programme about dinosaurs. Sky will take all the major sporting events so nothing new here but if you think the BBC had there chances years ago with a proper sports channel then they have only themselves to blame.

Not sure why a dedicated sports channel would have made a difference, their overall budget would be the same.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
What have the BBC got to do with sport?
They are more than happy to pay Hanson £3 million a year to talk nothing on MOTD but not spend anything on auctions to keep sport.

The Open is on the protected list but in Group B which means only the highlights are free to air..

Group A (Full live coverage protected)

Olympic Games
Fifa World Cup finals
European Football Championship finals
FA Cup final
Scottish FA Cup final (protected in Scotland)
Grand National
Epsom Derby
Wimbledon tennis finals
Rugby League Challenge Cup Final
Rugby World Cup final

Group B (Highlights only on free-to-air TV)

This secondary list would be scrapped.

England's home cricket Test matches
Other matches, excluding finals, at Wimbledon Championships
Other matches, excluding final, at Rugby World Cup
Six Nations matches involving home countries
Commonwealth Games
World Athletics Championships
Cricket World Cup - final, semi-finals and matches involving home nations
Ryder Cup
Open golf championship

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Not sure why a dedicated sports channel would have made a difference, their overall budget would be the same.

Not if they had brought in subscriptions and bought sport forward like Sky's injection of cash has. It's not just football is it ?
So many sports get covered now because of Sky. They are not the devil.
Anyway just won a bundle on the greyhounds with the live Newcastle meeting and now back to Roma v Fiorentina.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What IS the British Open?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Not if they had brought in subscriptions and bought sport forward like Sky's injection of cash has. It's not just football is it ?
So many sports get covered now because of Sky. They are not the devil.
Anyway just won a bundle on the greyhounds with the live Newcastle meeting and now back to Roma v Fiorentina.

Aftertiming :rolleyes:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
The BBC has been geared for women for years, hence the decline in all sports and a rise in soaps ad homely stuff. Even staff employed there are about 80% female.

If I had to describe the organisation, politicly, culturally and representavly I would call it leftwing, odd and not-british.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What have the BBC got to do with sport?
They are more than happy to pay Hanson £3 million a year to talk nothing on MOTD but not spend anything on auctions to keep sport.

The Open is on the protected list but in Group B which means only the highlights are free to air..

Group A (Full live coverage protected)

Olympic Games
Fifa World Cup finals
European Football Championship finals
FA Cup final
Scottish FA Cup final (protected in Scotland)
Grand National
Epsom Derby
Wimbledon tennis finals
Rugby League Challenge Cup Final
Rugby World Cup final

Group B (Highlights only on free-to-air TV)

This secondary list would be scrapped.

England's home cricket Test matches
Other matches, excluding finals, at Wimbledon Championships
Other matches, excluding final, at Rugby World Cup
Six Nations matches involving home countries
Commonwealth Games
World Athletics Championships
Cricket World Cup - final, semi-finals and matches involving home nations
Ryder Cup
Open golf championship

Where did you get the £3m a year contract figure from?

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Good old sky, adverts every 5 mins then during the golf, at least it was uninterrupted on the bbc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here