Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kraftwerk - More influential than the Beatles?

More influential than The Beatles?

• Ja

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • Nein

Votes: 118 76.1%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Danger Mouse thinks so

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    138.7 KB · Views: 130

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Funny re-reading this.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Only an attention seeking idiot could say this, and someone who knew nothing about the history of music. No doubt Kraftwerk are important only another attention seeking idiot would deny that.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
and there was me thinking Can were the most influential German Krautrock band?

I do think that comparing Kraftwerk and the Beatles this way is a bit like saying Cabernet Sauvignon is a more influential grape than Chardonnay. They are both grapes but completely different and comparisons are only ever going to be subjective.

Oh and I prefer Kraftwerk to the Beatles and Can to both.......

TNBA

TTF

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I would suggest the Kraftwerk influenced a different group of people to those influenced by the Beatles.

Not really sure how you measure the size of a bands influence. Given that the Beatles have been around longer and are more famous that Kraftwerk i would suggest they are more influential.

Kraftwerk are probably more influential in electronic, hip-hop, house etc etc circles but the Beatles in Rock, Pop etc circles. Again Rock and Pop music has been around for longer and has probably been more popular (over the entirety of musical history). So a win for The Beatles there also.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Love the music of both. The Beatles had a huge influence on the direction of popular music, and wrote so many beautiful, original songs.

Kraftwerk are great, but are only one of the influences on the pop and dance music I love listening to. Roxy Music, Eno, Bowie, Jarre, Moroder etc played a massive part too.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Here's the thing, if you look at the landscape of contemporary music this statement holds plenty of water despite the protestations of the rockists here. Modern pop music production is way more Kraftwerk than it is The Beatles and unless you're the type of person that only listens to white guys whingeing about not getting laid over guitars you'd have noticed that.

I suppose it hinges on what you are taking influential to mean ultimately.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It reminds me of a while back, all these middle aged white men getting their knickers in a twist because when Paul McCartney did that track with Kanye West, there were loads of young 'uns saying 'Who's this Paul McCartney?'

I don't see why someone under the age of 25 really needs to know who Paul McCartney is. When was the last time he released anything decent?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
It reminds me of a while back, all these middle aged white men getting their knickers in a twist because when Paul McCartney did that track with Kanye West, there were loads of young 'uns saying 'Who's this Paul McCartney?'

I don't see why someone under the age of 25 really needs to know who Paul McCartney is. When was the last time he released anything decent?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PcDVH8DiBnM

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Like Buzzer, I'm on the fence I think. Kraftwerk have undoubtedly influenced a huge body of work creating new genres along the way, but I can help but go back to 1966's recording of Tomorrow Never Knows, a track which The Chemical Brothers call 'their manifesto' and think that The Beatles wouldn't have had some impact on 'electronica' and what came after, as well as everything else you can hear their music in.

I'm an undecided.

The Beatles all day long. Amazing that my 3 years ago self was so clueless. :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

This hit home to me in a bar in Ibiza last year where the barman/owner, who was quite into current music had never even heard of Chuck Berry. (This was not long after he died) I was shocked but thinking about it I shouldn’t have been, it’s not exactly Ibiza music and I doubt it’s influenced it either, so why should he have any interest or knowledge.

**** me Kanye West and Paul McCartney? I won’t be listening to that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here