Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Priminister for the day

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'd make myself Dictator and do away with political parties. Then you would see some good long term policies :wink:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I'd introduce a maximum wage of 1000% of the lowest wage in an organisation.

Yes, definitely a ratio between the pay of bosses and their workers; at the moment it's about 120 to 1 (some bosses 'earn' in an hour what their workers get paid in a year), needs to be lowered - ironically, Margaret Thatcher's former Adviser, Ferdinand Mound, has said it should be reduced to 40 to 1, so this proposal can hardly be denounced as Communist!.

If bosses then want to award themselves a pay rise, then fine, but give a pay rise to their workers as well - after all, they've done the actual work to make the profits.

This would also reduce the social security bill - many people who are receiving benefits do so because their wages are too low to live on, so higher wages would cut the welfare bill.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Scrap the House of Lords and replace it with an elected second chamber.

I kind of agree in principle, but wouldn't an elected House of Lords end up mirroring the House of Commons, or rivalling it, and thus create constant clashes between the two Houses, as each claimed to be more representative of public opinion based on the most recent election?

Ironically, one of the reasons that the unelected House of Lords has survived into the 21st Century is precisely because all the suggested alternatives would create new problems!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd introduce compulsory spelling checks for thread starters on message boards.
This one is an act of genius.

It's so wrong but nearly right, I had a complete mental blank on how you spell Prime Minister.
It felt like the Countdown Conundrum and I needed the full 30 seconds.

Genius.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I kind of agree in principle, but wouldn't an elected House of Lords end up mirroring the House of Commons, or rivalling it, and thus create constant clashes between the two Houses, as each claimed to be more representative of public opinion based on the most recent election?

Ironically, one of the reasons that the unelected House of Lords has survived into the 21st Century is precisely because all the suggested alternatives would create new problems!

But at least they would have to be elected. My whole beef about the House of Lords is that they're unelected and I've always resented some lord, who probably hasn't got a bloody clue about the real world, representing the people of this country when voting on new legislation.

Terrible idea Ed. It'll lead to classes of 40-50 kids, unless you're going to raise taxes significantly (and hence not get elected)
Not so. The toffs wouldn't tolerate massive class sizes for their precious darlings. And they would demand tax changes (which they could afford to pay) to ensure that the school system delivered a quality education to their kids. Everyone would benefit from this.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not so. The toffs wouldn't tolerate massive class sizes for their precious darlings. And they would demand tax changes (which they could afford to pay) to ensure that the school system delivered a quality education to their kids. Everyone would benefit from this.

i rather think the very wealthy would send their darlings abroad and the affluent middle classes would just move to areas with good schools. as happens now. in other words, removing private education wouldnt change the education system much if at all.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But at least they would have to be elected. My whole beef about the House of Lords is that they're unelected and I've always resented some lord, who probably hasn't got a bloody clue about the real world, representing the people of this country when voting on new legislation.

so because they are unelected, you would remove their independance on party politics. think it through. the Lords have slapped down an awful lot of dodgy legislation from the government of the day over the years, only this week they sent packing laws to bring in draconian surveillance of our interwebs.

Stumpy Tim

What a horrifically offensive thing to say - I'm actually embarrassed for you. I've known you for 10-20 years, and I never realised that you thought I was a "toff" or that I would call my kids "precious darlings". Either that, or you seem to think that all private schools are like Eton - which of course isn't true.

Either way, playing the class card in politics is full-scale twattery.

Camicus

I would immediately reapply for EU membership and then have the two total idiots who pulled us out publicly flogged and then exiled to the isle of dogs where they could do no further harm.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Divest the rich of all their money and possessions and then have them shot.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What a horrifically offensive thing to say - I'm actually embarrassed for you. I've known you for 10-20 years, and I never realised that you thought I was a "toff" or that I would call my kids "precious darlings". Either that, or you seem to think that all private schools are like Eton - which of course isn't true.

Either way, playing the class card in politics is full-scale twattery.

I agree. Two of my grandchildren go to a private school. My daughter pays for it by having worked damned hard to become a qualified chartered tax accountant.

I don't use the word "toff" in any offensive way. Out our way, we respect our toffs. They have a lot more money than most people and some of them have hereditary peerages. Some of them are hard-working tenant farmers, who are basically hard-working manual labourers. And others are city bankers. They all seem to imagine, though, that paying school fees for their off-spring will achieve a better start in working life than will be achieved by kids who work their way through the comprehensive school system. That's just WRONG.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Hanging for murder,rape and kiddie fiddlers..

Yeah and televise live it just after the 6 O'clock news. Of course it would result in juries not convicting people like Ched Evans and a large percentage of murderers because they knew that if they got it wrong an innocent defendant would be dangling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here