Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Racism And The Cumberbatch Conundrum

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Fair enough. It's being mentioned in the media quite a lot, and you notice how black people refer to themselves as black, rather than coloured.
Since you now know, why are you still saying 'colour'? Do you mean 'nearly all my black friends' or 'nearly all my non white friends'?

By the way, I'm not having a go at you. Like that Guardian article you linked to - there's no need to make a big deal out of someone saying the wrong term, just correct them and move on.

i thought people of colour was the correct phrase to use now and not coloured people

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
i thought people of colour was the correct phrase to use now and not coloured people
lol, my mistake - which kind of proves your point :D Personally I don't like the phrase, what the **** is it supposed to mean - that all people in the world except white people have colour pigments in their skin? What a load of shit. White people are yellowy pink, so to suggest people of colour is everyone except for white people is daft. But if that's the accepted phrase, then I guess you're right to use it (is it used here, or just in the states?).

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Almost any example you can conjure up is probably an embellished story from the press with little, if any, basis in truth. Any incident worthy of genuine anger or concern (I.e the pen incident if it were remotely true) would be dealt with internally and with safeguarding in place to ensure it was not released to the public.

So all the examples in the press are embellished with little or any basis in truth, and you know this because.....when it happens it is dealt with internally and with safeguarding to make sure it never gets out!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I would say that the longer I live here the more cultural differences I see. As a further point i would say that most people do not identify as being of British Isles decent. Which to me is important because I believe that what and where you identify with is more important than where you were born. A great man once said "It's not where you are from, its where your at"

However it is all a straw man argument, your allegiances to countries and by extension their sporting teams are about how you feel and what you identify with. National boundaries are contrived and in many ways meaningless. A good example of this is Andy Murray he represents us as a Brit, yet many dislike him because he is a Scot. As Brits we single out the Welsh, Northerners, Southerners, Home Counties Posh Knobs, Lowland Scots, Highland Scots, Suffolk Farmers, Norfolk Farmers (I could go on and on) The lines of cultural importance are a human construct and are drawn to suit our own ends.

The point I was trying to make to Bushy was that we shouldn't and needn't live by his hardline stuck in stone cultural rules about how we identify with ourselves. to my mind his kind of thinking is incredible damaging to his beloved social cohesion. Imagine trying to assimilate with someone with such inflexible views.

Andy Murray is disliked by some in England because he told the press he would be supporting whoever England were playing against at the World Cup, that was not going to endear him much to sports fans south of the border.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Andy Murray is disliked by some in England because he told the press he would be supporting whoever England were playing against at the World Cup, that was not going to endear him much to sports fans south of the border.
The fact that he was with Tim Henman at the time, and taking the mick, will be forever forgotten.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The fact that he was with Tim Henman at the time, and taking the mick, will be forever forgotten.
If he had ever displayed a sense of humour I might believe that. Backing the Yes vote for independence doesn't help much either.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Meaning what? That sooner or later I'll bump into the kind of political narcassists that inhabit forums? Well I have and it is the aonymous public speaking, or puffing of chests that attracts them to forums like this. IRL they back peddle or melt away.

...My flippant point was though nearly ALL of us follow societal speech codes, it's pretty much hardwired into our brains. Perhaps some types of autism and other syndromes don't, but these are exceptional.

Not at all Looney, crossed wires i think...as i answered Bushy above, thought i'd link it here.

I'd like to add an example though.
When your partner asks whether their bum looks big in this. You reply, 'no my dear, you are simply ravishing' or else you risk getting 'a slap'.
We 'all' commonly moderate our speech a lot so as not to offend others in all sorts of ways.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
yes i did read it,i posted it in haste as a general reference to the story for those who dont know whats going on,and not really as any commentary for or against the issue.

i would like you to see where i am coming from here,there is mixed language all over the place about racism and it seems to me all it is doing is making an important issue pathetic playground politics concerning who dishes out or plays out the most racist or i am offended cards.

If the term coloured is now offensive(and i genuinlly didnt know that, i never got the memo) why is the foremost black civil rights group in the USA The NAACP,( the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) still permitted to exist in that name

ok, but you did post the link so I went and read it, and it seemed a bit at odds with the point you were making. The writer was talking more about people criticising Cumberbatch. Wasn't quite sure why you posted it that's all.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I doubt coloured people found the term offensive, it was probably a guilty middle class prick like you who decided for them.

Oh it's you. Not taken your angry pills today? Last time I logged on to NSC I opened some thread and the first post I saw was you starting with something along the lines of 'are you thick or something'. How do you get through the day without your head exploding?

And nope, not feeling guilty about anything thanks. Apart from anything I've actually done myself anyway.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
John Barnes got a lot of shit. It was disgraceful some of the stuff he was on the end of. Even after his goal against Brazil there is footage of the travelling support refusing to acknowledge it. Ironically if he had been London born I am fairly sure he wouldn't have got most of the crap he got, irrespective of his ethnicity.

That. Was a goal.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Meaning what? That sooner or later I'll bump into the kind of political narcassists that inhabit forums?

doesn't that happen every day you wake up and look in the bathroom mirror? :cool:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I used Andy Murray as an example to make the point. As has been mentioned it was a tongue in cheek comment made in the name of banter. The fact that so many misplaced their sense of humour about it merelys show that as a Untied Kingdom we are not very united. As i say lines we draw are arbitrary and it is more about what we identify with and how we feel.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

How many times is that rubbish going to be brought up in relation to Andy Murray. Even the Mail admitted they'd wound him up to get him to say something.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Seems that the people who 'didnt know' about the usage of the word 'coloured', being seen as a bit dodgy, nowadays, or the ones hurrumphing about having to change their words, are in every race related thread on NSC. Amazing there has been a such a mass blindness among them. Especiallly, as this subject has been on NSC before.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Seems that the people who 'didnt know' about the usage of the word 'coloured', being seen as a bit dodgy, nowadays, or the ones hurrumphing about having to change their words, are in every race related thread on NSC. Amazing there has been a such a mass blindness among them. Especiallly, as this subject has been on NSC before.

Its an interesting point you make,there does indeed seem to be quite a few people who were unaware coloured is now deemed unacceptable.

Is it mass blindness though as you allude?

I cant speak for others but on a personal level when reading the headline phrases on news websites,i nowadays generally ignore any headline concerning a racism story unless it particularly catches my eye like for example the Cumberbatch story.This is only because there are far too many people screaming racism where it doesnt exist. The whole issue has been belittled by idiots who seem desperate to find racism everywhere..I cant be arsed to read all the news stories on it.

I hardly know any people of colour(i believe this is the accepted term) in this country i can call true friends apart from the two that are,its not surprising due to my geographical location.I do however have many people of colour friends in Africa who would mostly be absolutely confused at this conversation about the word coloured and would quite rightly spend alot of time taking the piss on how mental we are on the subject.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Not in the UK, but more specifically England. The UK has massively varying attitudes, this is important to remember.
I spend a lot of time in the U.S. and as a rule they are far more sensitive than most of the UK outside of London or Birmingham or Manchester.
Do you remember some of the attitudes of the bar staff at our apartments in Miami ?:lolol:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Not at all Looney, crossed wires i think...as i answered Bushy above, thought i'd link it here.

I'd like to add an example though.
When your partner asks whether their bum looks big in this. You reply, 'no my dear, you are simply ravishing' or else you risk getting 'a slap'.
We 'all' commonly moderate our speech a lot so as not to offend others in all sorts of ways.

Thats social ettiquette and not whats called a speech code.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here