Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should it have been a penalty for handball?

Should it have been a penalty for handball?

• Yes it was

Votes: 122 53.0%
  • No it wasn't

Votes: 108 47.0%

• Total voters

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
He could have not had his arm out stretched like a goalkeeper.

The photo only tells half the story though, it looks bad but by his movement I really don't think it was intentional. Had that been Calde or Bennett getting caught on the arm in the same circumstances would you still say it would be a justified penalty?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Just seen it on MOTD. Brunos was more of a pen than the other one, but think the ref got both right.

MotD were saying the same. Completely disagreed with them (although I know I'm biased). Bruno hit shoulder pretty much. Hands by his side so definitely no penalty in my view. My initial thought on Chambers was that it was too close for a penalty but his arms were stuck quite well away from his body so to me it probably should be a penalty, however near Colunga was when he kicked it. Can understand why the referee didn't give it though.

albionite

May 20, 2009
He had his arms out wide on purpose to lessen the angle of crossing/shooting.
This ball to arm is nonsense if refs gave a penalty everytime for things like this that defender would of had arms behind back while trying to block, he knew what he was doing and the gamble paid off.
MotD were saying the same. Completely disagreed with them (although I know I'm biased). Bruno hit shoulder pretty much. Hands by his side so definitely no penalty in my view. My initial thought on Chambers was that it was too close for a penalty but his arms were stuck quite well away from his body so to me it probably should be a penalty, however near Colunga was when he kicked it. Can understand why the referee didn't give it though.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Clear pen. That's why our defenders stand with their arms behind their backs in similar situations.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
No, if you look at the view from behind, his left arm was well out.

I saw it from behind. You can't stand with your arms taped to your sides or behind your back. They were not in an 'unnatural position'. Would I have liked the penalty? Yes. Do I think it should have been given? Absolutely not. It was no more a handball than Bruno's earlier.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I saw it from behind. You can't stand with your arms taped to your sides or behind your back. They were not in an 'unnatural position'. Would I have liked the penalty? Yes. Do I think it should have been given? Absolutely not. It was no more a handball than Bruno's earlier.

I haven't seen or heard anything of the Bruno incident, so I doubt it came close to this appeal. But looking at that picture, do you really think his left arm is in a natural position? Its clearly stretched out to block the cross. Penalty.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
The photo only tells half the story though, it looks bad but by his movement I really don't think it was intentional. Had that been Calde or Bennett getting caught on the arm in the same circumstances would you still say it would be a justified penalty?
I had not seen the photo. I was judging it from MOTD and I would have thought it was a penalty whichever side had done it. Stand blocking the pass with your hands away from the body can mean only one thing, you are expecting your arm to make the cross harder, therefore penalty.

Bruno was different. He was turning side on to block the ball, it was bound to be close to hitting his arm but the block was using the body.

I will admit that I have given up getting agitated about penalty decisions at the game (other than to join in with the pantomime of football fandom) as there is never a good enough view, and you do not see it from the ref's perspective. That makes NSC a good place for relatively calm discussion of "what makes it a foul".

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Clear penalty, his arm was extended away from his body and he prevented the ball getting into a dangerous position. He could have pulled out of the way but did not. I didn't agree with the MotD interpretation at all. As for the Bruno one it looked more shoulder to me and he was flying into the challenge so had less control over his movement, plus he plays for us so that was NEVER a penalty.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
No - clearly ball to hand, in my view.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No :lolol:

It's so easy to freeze frame something and, as an image, say "look, his hands are slightly up".

If people had their way all players would be running around like penguins with their arms tucked right in.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Calders foul - yes
Handball - yes

Two pens, we would have won 4-3.

Totally unbiased opinion.

Also Walcotts goal shouldn't of stood as greer and dunk were in the middle of asking for his autograph.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No :lolol:

It's so easy to freeze frame something and, as an image, say "look, his hands are slightly up".

If people had their way all players would be running around like penguins with their arms tucked right in.

And people would defend crosses with their arms tucked behind them.. oh, just like Calderon does when defending a cross.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Definitely a penalty, was right inline with it, once your arms or hands are out stretched from your side, you cannot argue if was given. Oliver bottled it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No - clearly ball to hand, in my view.

I don't buy this ball to hand. I saw Marcos Painter get sent off, at Leicester, for a second yellow with his hand out at even less of an angle than Chambers. It was also on the halfway line so not preventing a goal threat.
I wish referees were more consistent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here