Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Winston Churchill

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
50 years ago today since the death of one of the greatest Englishmen of all time.
Hopefully tomorrow "We shall fight them near the beaches":thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've got the commemorative edition National Geographic of Churchill's funeral, including the flexi vinyl recording of the service.
I occasionally wonder of its value, whether its a rarity or just one of those things sat on plenty of bookcases.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Always worth reflecting that Winston Churchill was pretty much a joke in the Tory party when the Nazis came to power, but so many Conservative MPs were supportive of the Nazis originally that once the electorate had a clearer view of what Adolf was about there was a distinct lack of candidates for the top job.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Always worth reflecting that Winston Churchill was pretty much a joke in the Tory party when the Nazis came to power, but so many Conservative MPs were supportive of the Nazis originally that once the electorate had a clearer view of what Adolf was about there was a distinct lack of candidates for the top job.

Whatever his failings, and there were many, he was the right man in the right place at the right time.Plus, if people had listened to him about Stalin maybe the whole cold war may have been avoided.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath

At least he fought them otherwise we would all be speaking German and we would have not signed any players from Israrel !

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

and who could forget:-
A young man after seeing Churchill leave the bathroom without washing his hands: "At Eton they taught us to wash our hands after using the toilet." Churchill: "At Harrow they taught us not to piss on our hands."

Last edited:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Whatever his failings, and there were many, he was the right man in the right place at the right time.Plus, if people had listened to him about Stalin maybe the whole cold war may have been avoided.
If Roosevelt had listened to him, rather than march into a room and pretty much hand over eastern europe without negotiation, possibly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If Roosevelt had listened to him, rather than march into a room and pretty much hand over eastern europe without negotiation, possibly.
Pedantry point of order.

Roosevelt didn't march anywhere.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My favourite Churchill quote is when Bessie Braddock said " Mr Churchill you are drunk" and he replied" but in the morning I will be sober" great put down, didnt need to say anything else.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I was in Le Havre, I think, on HMS Ark Royal when the funeral took place. It was certainly memorable and he was the most revered leader we have ever had. Of course he had faults but those that followed were midgets. My favorite Churchill story is him being woken up at 2 am with the news that the papers were going to publish the story of a Lord and a guardsman were caught naked on Hampstead Heath. "Naked, you say, on the coldest night of the year? Makes you proud to be British!"

My favourite Churchill quote is when Bessie Braddock said " Mr Churchill you are drunk" and he replied" but in the morning I will be sober" great put down, didnt need to say anything else.

You missed the punchline!

" Mr Churchill you are drunk" and he replied "and you are ugly. But in the morning I will be sober but you will still be ugly"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

He knew enough about Stalin to know what was going to happen at the end of the war. Very little America or our little battered island could do about it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You missed the punchline!

" Mr Churchill you are drunk" and he replied "and you are ugly. But in the morning I will be sober but you will still be ugly"

He said and you are ugly but then left it at 'but I shall be sober in the morning, ' thereby inferring but not saying that she would still be ugly in the morning.

Was it the same lady who said "If you were my husband I would poison your food" to which he replied "If you were my wife I would eat it"!

My bumper book of quotations also has "..We must build a kind of United States of Europe" - wonder if Mr Farage knows that one?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here