Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All inclusive holidays

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
This with bells on. I wouldn't dream of it myself unless i have kids. I enjoy eating out and getting out.

I agree which is why I would be very selective if I ever went again.
I refused to think that I should not go out and did a bit of both but still nice to have the AI when you want it.
Sometimes it works a treat, if you choose a great place with good food in places like Sri Lanka or Jamaica it is not recommended that you go out at night so you can enjoy your AI hotel.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I have never been on an all inclusive as I think one of the major joys of a holiday is to get out to eat and drink with the locals. Am I wrong with this view?

Each to their own i think, some people I know won't do any other kind of holiday. I was looking at it recently for the peak August school hols with the missus and 2 kids somewhere in the Med and for somewhere half decent and relatively chav free I was looking at £3-4000 all in for 10 nights. It wasn't really my thing though so managed to convince the missus to let me find something else. I've managed to book separate flights, a beautiful large secluded villa with its own pool in the mountains of Andalucia and a good hire car for just over £2000 for 12 nights and am delighted with that, the price came down a little bit when she invited the in laws (ready made babysitters!) but we get on really well so I'm ok with that. Obviously now I've got to factor in food and bevvies but it all depends what you want, I like to have the freedom to get out and about and I get bored very quickly just sitting by the pool and beach every day and having to share it with other people

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Paradise Island in The Bahamas is good. Free cocktails by the pool all day long. After 3 days I made a rule, no cocktails before midday. Los Cabos at the tip of the Baja peninsula in Mexico is also good.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I agree which is why I would be very selective if I ever went again.
I refused to think that I should not go out and did a bit of both but still nice to have the AI when you want it.
Sometimes it works a treat, if you choose a great place with good food in places like Sri Lanka or Jamaica it is not recommended that you go out at night so you can enjoy your AI hotel.

Me too. Seen a mix of good and bad AI, the bad being lower priced, run by the big package firms and mostly in Spain, good being places like the Caribbean. Although it sometimes feels like unnecessary expense, being on AI doesn't stop me having some meals away from the hotel.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
For me the worst thing about AI is that I put on about half a stone in a week then spend months trying to get it off again. So I tend to stick to half board, have a decent breakfast then disappear off to a distant beach with a big bottle of water til tea-time. Works for me.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Syria is looking like cracking value these days, compared to what you would have paid say 2 or 3 years ago.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Strange thing about Sandals Negril.
Never mind the fabulous food, accomodation, location, beach, diving lessons and sailing.
Sitting at the beach bar in the afternoon talking to very nice people from around the world drinking as much Red Stripe as you wanted and then the brilliant Jamaican bar man knocking up different rum cocktails as the sun went down was perfect.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Each to their own i think, some people I know won't do any other kind of holiday. I was looking at it recently for the peak August school hols with the missus and 2 kids somewhere in the Med and for somewhere half decent and relatively chav free I was looking at £3-4000 all in for 10 nights. It wasn't really my thing though so managed to convince the missus to let me find something else. I've managed to book separate flights, a beautiful large secluded villa with its own pool in the mountains of Andalucia and a good hire car for just over £2000 for 12 nights and am delighted with that, the price came down a little bit when she invited the in laws (ready made babysitters!) but we get on really well so I'm ok with that. Obviously now I've got to factor in food and bevvies but it all depends what you want, I like to have the freedom to get out and about and I get bored very quickly just sitting by the pool and beach every day and having to share it with other people

We always rent a place from owners abroad or holiday lettings then arrange flights etc. Sometimes pick up a car at airport but for Cyprus in July this year we have booked transfers and will use the Island bus pass €15 for 7 days each, so for our 21 days it will be €45 each for wife and I much cheaper than a car and we can both have a drink.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I do all inclusive with the kids when i go skiing as it takes away some of the domestics and works for us. Did it once on a holiday to dominican republic and agree with the others, why box yourself in when there are great local options and the time to explore

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
We always rent a place from owners abroad or holiday lettings then arrange flights etc. Sometimes pick up a car at airport but for Cyprus in July this year we have booked transfers and will use the Island bus pass €15 for 7 days each, so for our 21 days it will be €45 each for wife and I much cheaper than a car and we can both have a drink.

Thats how we holiday but I would not ignore AI if it was the right place.
There is something very nice about a luxury AI where everything is done for you all day and you have a choice of 5+ restaurants and a fab breakfast every morning.
And you can tour if you want.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Now cost it for going during school holidays.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
If I were you i'd go to Oludeniz in Turkey. Go out just before the start of the school holidays, but don't go all inclusive. The food and drink are dirt cheap.

Oh, and you can go quadbiking all day for about £25 with a free lunch, and on all day boat trips for the equivalent of about £6 (with lunch).

Cracking place.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Now cost it for going during school holidays.

We avoid school holidays. I realize many cant but it suits us better as it is cheaper and places not infested with young kids having a paddy cos they cant have everything they want and parents having rucks cos kids are playing up. As you get older you appreciate the ability to go when you want.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Thats how we holiday but I would not ignore AI if it was the right place.
There is something very nice about a luxury AI where everything is done for you all day and you have a choice of 5+ restaurants and a fab breakfast every morning.
And you can tour if you want.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I've only ever done 2 AI deals.

First one was in St Lucia pre kids when the food was bland and served in a butlins style cafeteria.

Eat out loads and costed that as long as we drank 15 drinks each a day we were up on the deal than if we'd gone room only. That's easily done Especially as they were watered down.

Last year with 3 kids now went AI to Jamaica with limited expectations. However this place (jewel runaway Bay) was superb. Food range and quality's top notch, venue and activities great Inc free golf, tennis water sports etc Inc free lessons for my sons. Lots to do locally and some very nice excursions etc but stuck to resort for breakfast and evening meal and
....drinking. None of the drinks were watered down and no restrictions.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Wouldn't bother with all inclusive in Turkey. Food and drink is very cheap and plentifully available to suit all tastes/ price ranges.

edit to add went to Dominican Republic with my wife circa 2010. Was a late deal and for a 5* hotel all inclusive came to around £450 each for 10 days. Worth leaving nearer the time IMO and seeing what deals are available.

Turkish gov has upped tax again on alcohol cheapest bottle of effes now about 6 lira in restaurants 5 lira in supermarkets , still 3.6 to the pound though

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I have never been on an all inclusive as I think one of the major joys of a holiday is to get out to eat and drink with the locals. Am I wrong with this view?

Not at all. I'm with you 100%. For several years on the trot, my wife & I, along with friends, rented the same villa on the Akamas Peninsula in Cyprus. Set on a hillside, there were panoramic views of the sea on one side, and wonderful rolling countryside on the other. We would spend our days either lazing by the pool with a drink, or just exploring in our hire car, whilst eating out most evenings at a local taverna, or cooking on the BBQ at the villa.

Everyone is different though, and l can fully understand that different people want different things from a holiday.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
For the last two years I have been to the Atlantica Bay Hotel which is near Limassol in Cyprus. I cannot recommend it highly enough. And it's adults only too which is a huge bonus

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here