Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Albion story... when did it start?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Had followed Brighton for a bit but can't remember my first game; think it was the season before we signed the one and only Bobby Smith in 1964.
Anyway,we ran away with the Div 4 title,after he signed and averaged crowds of about 17500. Used to stand on the West Terrace on the halfway line behind the dugout containing Cyril hodges and Frankie Howard.Lovely smell of liniment coming from the changing rooms,together with the tobacco and cigar wafts from the stand seats above.
Happy days.

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Early 90's my neighbour took me to the Goldstone, no idea of the opposition or score but remember it being intensely exciting, stood at the front of the North on a beer crate. Nobody in my family was into football so by default my Dad had pointed me towards being a Liverpool fan, fortunately going to the Goldstone turned my head and I've never looked back.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My dad taking me to the Goldstone on the train from Eastbourne, whilst he and a few others patrolled the carriages on duty for the BT Police.
Initial memories of this were the pungent smells of cigar smoke and heavy braking from the train drivers boot.
Then getting to the Goldstone is still a great memory that I still think about, especially when Sussex by the Sea started belting out over the prequel to surround sound speakers.
Its still a better version than hearing it from Battle Town Band :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
First Albion was probably the evening game when Arsenal 'took the north'.

My first game was at aged 6, Arsenal v Bristol City first game of the '76/'77 Div 1 campaign.

Family of Gunners, (gooners weren't invented then) but we moved back down to Sussex in time for me to support my local team.

1901Phil

Feb 1, 2012
Tunbridge Wells
My first game was in the 1954/5 season although I cannot remember the opponents. My most vivid memory was beating Watford to gain promotion with Adrian Thorne scoring 4 and the crowd booing when he was not allowed to take a penalty

Andy1611

Aug 6, 2009
I'm 22 now and I think I started following the Albion when I was about 10 or 11. Didn't take it too seriously, just followed results online. I started supporting a bit more seriously half-way through the season when we got relegated from the Championship in 2006. My first game was v Bradford at the Withdean the next season. Lost 1-0 and missed the first 10 minutes due to rail-replacement buses being awful!

I got properly hooked after going to the Man City game we won on penalties and have been hooked ever since! Never had a season ticket as I've never been able to afford one. I go to about 5-6 games a season both home and away and love it! My Dad is Welsh and isn't a football fan and can't understand why I spend all this money on going to see Brighton play! But I love it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
1961 when Dad took me. He liked to stand on the halfway line on the East terrace, near the front as he was quite short and wanted to be able to see both of the goals.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
someone at school was handing out FREE tickets to the Fulham match at home Christmas time 1958
we got in and some guy let me sit on his shoulders in the south-west corner

that hooked me

My first game too

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Dad took me to the Jimmy Case testimonial match but I had no interest in football through school or uni, after Uni went to a few individual games at Withdean then got a season ticket in 09/10.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Don't remember who first few games were against, but it was the season before we beat Gibraltar 6-0 in a pre-season friendly. Alex Dawson was playing and made a big impression so 68-69 ?

*edit* Just checked and by the time we played Wolves in the cup (September 69) I was completely hooked, so 68-69 about right.

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Can't remember who took me but I was 11 and saw Brighton lose at home in 4th div 1963/4 Season.
Loved the atmosphere and the next season we were champions of Div 4!

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Boxing Day, 1988, Palace, 3-1.
my mate and his dad were season ticket holders and invited me along, obviously a pretty impressive introduction to the albion.
Had a great time at the Goldstone late 80's and 90's after that

Last edited:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
For me it was in about 1982 when my Dad and Granddad (both RIP) took me to the Goldstone to watch us beat Man City 4-1. I was nine.

Then a year later I cried my little eyes out at half time during the Cup Final replay... and so it began, a lifetime of suffering!

Over to you NSC - when did your love affair begin...

My dad was a fan though not too keen, but I eventually managed to persuade him to take me as school mates at Stanford Rd Primary had been and I was jealous. My first match was against Bristol City and we won 5-1 in March 1960. I was then hooked and despite all the trials and tribulations ever since, it has been a wonderful part of my life, along with family. My all-time favourite match from those days was the 3-3 draw with Burnley in the cup. When I was older, a teenager, then I was an ever-present in the North Stand and was part of the gang that really got the singing going in the 1960s. Then in the 70s, I used to stand in front of the West Stand, just where the teams came out. Never regretted a moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here