Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last night's ref

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
A couple looked like ball-to-hand for me, so wont qualify as handball. Thought the use of advantage was good though. Wasnt card happy either and only booked Stockdale for timewasting and Irn Bru for Ipswich for dissent.

Thought the line on the East side was a bit slow to make decisions though.

Did Stockdale get booked? I didn't see him get a card and there's nothing on the BBC site suggesting so. I figured he may do eventually but can't recall.

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
Wouldn't say excellent. There was several obvious hand balls that he missed.

Still, one of the better refs.

I had this explained to me is some detail by a former referee regarding handball. Basically it is ball to hand is not an offence but hand to ball is, and the only ones I saw which did not result in a free kick were the former.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Our old chairman used to ref for us occasionally and he often used the phrase 'ball to hand'. In his later life, still refereeing when we were desperate, he often said the same thing whether he saw the incident or not. It was usually the latter. Still brings a smile now to those who were around then.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
A couple looked like ball-to-hand for me, so wont qualify as handball. Thought the use of advantage was good though. Wasnt card happy either and only booked Stockdale for timewasting and Irn Bru for Ipswich for dissent.

I must have missed that... although he was pushing it to the limit in the 2nd half... I thought he went unpunished??

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I had this explained to me is some detail by a former referee regarding handball. Basically it is ball to hand is not an offence but hand to ball is, and the only ones I saw which did not result in a free kick were the former.

Fair enough. But surely if it stops play it should be given as a foul? If it's 'ball to hand' that blocks the ball going in the net it has to be a penalty?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I

Agree re the assistant in the east side
Re Stockdale getting booked ..a rare moment for us to pick up a card for time wasting at the Amex this season ..and truly savoured

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
He was ok but still made some appalling decisions imho. Particularly when we tried to take a quick free kick and their player tried to kick the ball away and we were penalised for "rolling ball".

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I remember a couple of claims for handballs where it hit players in the chest. I remember one where the ball was whacked at a player one foot away whose hands were down at his side, and I remember one where the Ipswich player's arm was sticking out, probably had time to react, definitely gained an advantage, but was perhaps the wrong side of the ref for him to see it clearly.

I thought he was a little inconsistent with his judgement of how much force was needed to constitute a foul, and whether or not jumping on someone's back was a foul.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He was ok but still made some appalling decisions imho. Particularly when we tried to take a quick free kick and their player tried to kick the ball away and we were penalised for "rolling ball".

How I felt. Thought he was inconsistent. Free-kicks taken from the 'incorrect place' - by 3 yards, then allowed exactly the same thing several other times.

Best ref for me this season was Charlton away.

mikevapour

Apr 18, 2012
First time Stroud has been ok, still can't understand why he was the ref at Bournemouth earlier in the season when he is from Bournemouth

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here