Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One question...

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Or maybe they just made a (human) mistake.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Because he fit in with Tony's ideal of a coach working under a director of football.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Because he fit in with Tony's ideal of a coach working under a director of football.

Maybe he interviewed outstandingly well, and they genuinely felt he would be worth taking a punt on.

Hindsight is amazing, isn't it? :)

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
He took a punt, a gamble if you will. Unfortunately the 'flop' looked promising but he was ultimately sent down by the 'river'

clungemeister

Jan 11, 2015
This.
I remember thinking Hyypia was a good choice, if a little left field. Obviously it didn't work out, and fortunately TB saw this and we're now without both Hyypia and Burke

Hyypia and Lee was quite an exciting prospect.....Lee pulling the pin at the 11th hour probably bogled the whole dynamics of the deal leaving an inexperienced and tactically bereft Hyypia alone at the helm with no-one to look to for meaningful support. Hope the boys can kick on now and put in a few good shifts and get us up the table , play-offs this year would attain Houghton legend status...!! Please can we TONK forest....please , please , please....??:thumbsup:

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
This.
I remember thinking Hyypia was a good choice, if a little left field. Obviously it didn't work out, and fortunately TB saw this and we're now without both Hyypia and Burke

Did TB see it, I thought Sami resigning took the board by surprise? He wasn't sacked, he walked.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Maybe he interviewed outstandingly well, and they genuinely felt he would be worth taking a punt on.

Hindsight is amazing, isn't it? :)

I know the answer to the original question and your stab at an answer.

Chris Hughton interviews VERY well................................... Sadly however, although he applied for the Brighton job in the summer he did not even get an interview or even an acknowledgement of his application.

The reason for that was a simple one....................................The Board and Chairman at the club had decided like many other clubs do now when they need a New Manager. Many of them want to go down the route of having a foreign manager. The reason for that is not really well known. I personally think it is because the perhaps think that they will have better resources or access to untapped talent across Europe.

All that being so, that is Why Hypia got the job in the Summer and Hughton never even got an interview back then.

As of hindsight, well that is a wonderful thing but we gotta look forward and not back. I think and believe timing is everything and timing wasn't right for Hughton to come to Brighton then. It is now. He was out of the game for longer. He has probably come back keener and more determined to succeed. He turned down several other jobs but accepted this one so obviously Tony Bloom must have interviewed good as well ( both sides interview each other in these circumstances) because he wouldn't have come to Brighton unless they had promised him that we would have a good crack at getting to the Premiership in the next 3 years. Hence the 3 and a half year deal

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I know the answer to the original question and your stab at an answer.

Chris Hughton interviews VERY well................................... Sadly however, although he applied for the Brighton job in the summer he did not even get an interview or even an acknowledgement of his application.

The reason for that was a simple one....................................The Board and Chairman at the club had decided like many other clubs do now when they need a New Manager. Many of them want to go down the route of having a foreign manager. The reason for that is not really well known. I personally think it is because the perhaps think that they will have better resources or access to untapped talent across Europe.

All that being so, that is Why Hypia got the job in the Summer and Hughton never even got an interview back then.

As of hindsight, well that is a wonderful thing but we gotta look forward and not back. I think and believe timing is everything and timing wasn't right for Hughton to come to Brighton then. It is now. He was out of the game for longer. He has probably come back keener and more determined to succeed. He turned down several other jobs but accepted this one so obviously Tony Bloom must have interviewed good as well ( both sides interview each other in these circumstances) because he wouldn't have come to Brighton unless they had promised him that we would have a good crack at getting to the Premiership in the next 3 years. Hence the 3 and a half year deal

Thanks for that insight, Mr Barber, good to know you're still in and around NSC :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hyypia and Lee was quite an exciting prospect.....Lee pulling the pin at the 11th hour probably bogled the whole dynamics of the deal leaving an inexperienced and tactically bereft Hyypia alone at the helm with no-one to look to for meaningful support. Hope the boys can kick on now and put in a few good shifts and get us up the table , play-offs this year would attain Houghton legend status...!! Please can we TONK forest....please , please , please....??:thumbsup:

Its HEWTON

Sake.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here