Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Save preston park

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
If only there was some way or some kind of precedent in getting a story from here onto the hallowed pages of the Argus :dunce:

Could get a load of pikey travelers to resurface it out of the goodness of their own hearts and a free park-up for a month or so.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what im curisous about is what on earth is needed to make it "safe". its a track. as long as there arent pot holes and inch wide cracks in the surface, in which case im sure the cyclist would want to do something about, how would it not be safe? is this something daft where its the ancillary buildings arent upto scratch?

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
what im curisous about is what on earth is needed to make it "safe". its a track. as long as there arent pot holes and inch wide cracks in the surface, in which case im sure the cyclist would want to do something about, how would it not be safe? is this something daft where its the ancillary buildings arent upto scratch?

There are many cracks several inches wide and one or two that are an inch or so deep. The fencing also isn't safe, in the past people have gone over it and onto the bonnets of cars, unfortunately

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Could get a load of pikey travelers to resurface it out of the goodness of their own hearts and a free park-up for a month or so.

Funny you should mention that. They've been parked up at the top end of the park all week and they seem to have a bit of spare time on their hands...

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Perhaps the Greens could divert some of their ridiculous local parking charges to fund the upkeep of the track.
Well worth maintaining this fantastic facility to promote cycling within the city.
Used to go their with my dad to watch racing, and my kids learned to cycle there in safety.
Amazed funds are available for beautifying roundabouts but not for projects like this.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The irony of a Green council failing to support a cycle track should guarantee a few headlines :nono:

Hmmm... there's a big shortfall in government funding and the council has to be careful with finances. It did propose a big increase in council tax but that looks likely to be defeated.

That's not to say that it can't find the money, this is certainly worth the investment but I note from the Facebook page that the sticking point is the lack of information on the sums needed to make the track raceworthy. The council say they can commit to funding it as they're not told of the amount while British Cycling say this is "confidential". No council of any political hue is going to agree to funding an unspecified amount

(having said that, I've signed the petition as it's obviously a great benefit for the people of Brighton)

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Hmmm... there's a big shortfall in government funding and the council has to be careful with finances. It did propose a big increase in council tax but that looks likely to be defeated.

That's not to say that it can't find the money, this is certainly worth the investment but I note from the Facebook page that the sticking point is the lack of information on the sums needed to make the track raceworthy. The council say they can commit to funding it as they're not told of the amount while British Cycling say this is "confidential". No council of any political hue is going to agree to funding an unspecified amount

(having said that, I've signed the petition as it's obviously a great benefit for the people of Brighton)

Phone up British Cycling and find out which person says its confidential and ask them why?

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
Ever wanted to be on TV?

Friday 23rd January (tomorrow) at 11-12 is your big day!

The BBC want to interview cyclists that use the track please pass this on and get down the track. Let us Rupert Rivett know on 01273 695107 or just turn up!

Ideally with your bikes but if not get down and show support!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I was born and lived in Brighton all my life but did not know of its existence, where exactly is it?
I'm guessing in Preston park somewhere?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Signed. Be a real shame to lose a gem like this.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Dangerous when they had three cricket matches going on at the same time we didn't worry about bikes behind the bowlers arm.!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here