Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Horsham FC Planning Application - finally APPROVED

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Horsham FC have this evening had the planning application for their new ground on the outskirts of Horsham refused by a vote of 13-9. The club are currently homeless, although are still based in Horsham, groundsharing with Horsham YMCA.

The planning officers had recommended the plans for approval - yet were refused which could be a fatal blow for the club. Main reasons of objection were parking spaces (which would have been freed up from a P&R site) and cycle access

Once again - a council trying to cripple a community football club - disgusting.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Horsham FC have this evening had the planning application for their new ground on the outskirts of Horsham refused by a vote of 13-9. The club are currently homeless, although are still based in Horsham, groundsharing with Horsham YMCA.

The planning officers had recommended the plans for approval - yet were refused which could be a fatal blow for the club. Main reasons of objection were parking spaces (which would have been freed up from a P&R site) and cycle access

Once again - a council trying to cripple a community football club - disgusting.

It's a shame but there is more to it than that. A lot of sway and politics from Tower Hill residents.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Very sad. Would have been good for the town.
Not as good as a massive out of town housing estate.

Every time I go 'oop north' 500 new homes have suddenly appeared, where previously a caravan once stood.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Why can't Horsham FC and Horsham YMCA settle on a permanent ground share? The money that FC have could be put to good use improving Gorings Mead and make it a cracking ground for the town.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Why can't Horsham FC and Horsham YMCA settle on a permanent ground share? The money that FC have could be put to good use improving Gorings Mead and make it a cracking ground for the town.

Total agree they should be aloud to ground share and develop one good facility but may have issues with the football authority .
Many sides share grounds in Europe teams are struggling with finance in Sussex this would help improve the facilities. Could make it an all weather pitch I see Maidstone played its FA cup game on one.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Very surprised by this.

Not good news for The Holbrook Club either.

With Horsham FC bottom of the Ryman League, staring relegation to the County League (where they won't be allowed to ground share with YM) it's really not good news.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
There is a lot of history here - amongst which is the initial attempt by Horsham FC to build a football ground at the Holbrook Club (then the SunAllon - Sun Alliance Club) over the top of what was then a County League Football Team and 3 West Sussex league Teams (all of which I played for). They were quite happy to trample all over local football at that point (because they felt they were the biggest team in Horsham I presume). Anyway, although this refusal looks a little strange i have little sympathy for them and they have been mismanaged and mis-advised for some time now.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
There is a lot of history here - amongst which is the initial attempt by Horsham FC to build a football ground at the Holbrook Club (then the SunAllon - Sun Alliance Club) over the top of what was then a County League Football Team and 3 West Sussex league Teams (all of which I played for). They were quite happy to trample all over local football at that point (because they felt they were the biggest team in Horsham I presume). Anyway, although this refusal looks a little strange i have little sympathy for them and they have been mismanaged and mis-advised for some time now.

I agree that there's lot of history here, and that Horsham FC have been badly run and advised over the past two decades. I also think that in the town there's huge apathy towards them, and indeed some resentment at how they sold Queen Street and expected to be allowed to build at the Holbrook site.

I'm just surprised that with HDC desperate for housing (and the refusal at Hop Oast means no housing at the Holbrook) that this has been rejected.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Total agree they should be aloud to ground share and develop one good facility but may have issues with the football authority .
Many sides share grounds in Europe teams are struggling with finance in Sussex this would help improve the facilities. Could make it an all weather pitch I see Maidstone played its FA cup game on one.

The only ground they can currently share at is Gorings Mead with YMCA, but with Horsham FC staring at relegation into the county league - that ground share wouldnt be allowed. Other options would be for the league to allow a ground share or to ground share with a different team, though one of the nearest, Dorking, wouldnt be allowed either.

Troubled times for them. Access is one of the main issues for refusal.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
The only ground they can currently share at is Gorings Mead with YMCA, but with Horsham FC staring at relegation into the county league - that ground share wouldnt be allowed. Other options would be for the league to allow a ground share or to ground share with a different team, though one of the nearest, Dorking, wouldnt be allowed either.

Troubled times for them. Access is one of the main issues for refusal.

Unless YM or Dorking were to go up maybe?

I've said this was coming for a while, really think this is another nail in the coffin.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I believe that the ground share ban by the County League is no longer valid as all Leagues in the Pyramid have to adopt the standardised Rules which allows ground shares. Examples can be found in other Step 5 Leagues.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Very sad day for the club, especially as the council helped select the site in the first place. Had great memories of watching football at Queen Street growing up, they were usually one of the top non league Sussex sides then. I agree that it should not be forgotten how they sold their Queen Street ground before having somewhere to move to. Where have we heard that one before?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Should be done quietly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here