Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doncaster FC introduce unreserved seating to improve atmosphere

Should the North Stand be unreserved seating?

• Yes

Votes: 34 65.4%
  • No

Votes: 18 34.6%

• Total voters

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

I'm a North Stander, and my views keep changing. My problem isn't the seat itself - it's the group I sit near. There's a good group of us (who don't know each other outside football) who all get on really well and would want to stay together at each match. If the seating is unreserved, the only way to keep the whole group together is get there early enough that there's space together - and given that some of the group travel all the way from Somerset for each match, it's really not guaranteed.

On the other hand, I do want a stand with a rocking atmosphere.

It's tricky...
You could have seats in the reserved section adjacent to the central unreserved section. These "prime" seats could be allocated first to people who had initial priority qualifications (the club must still have easy access to that information).

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Also would there not be 'situations' where one person would be saving say 11 seats and saying to arrivals "Sorry, you can't sit there, people coming"? Might cause a couple of issues.
Simply not allowed. One person could legitimately reserve one extra seat on a "sorry someone is sitting there - they are in the concourse" basis... would be really wankerish to flout that convention in what would quickly become a self-policing environment

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I've had the same seat since the Amex opened and WOULDN'T happily give up my seat for this idea.

Have you bought your seat for life or on a seasonal basis?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Seasonal.

I realise that technically I do not own the seat as I didn't take up a PSL, but I don't see why I should, in theory, have to give it up against my wishes.

I understand your feelings and I would share them in your position however, in theory and probably in practice if it came to it, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I understand your feelings and I would share them in your position however, in theory and probably in practice if it came to it, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Yep, you're probably right.

I just think it would be slightly at odds for the club to make the seating unreserved after going through such an in-depth process of priority to get them allocated.

If the club forced me to move, I probably wouldn't renew.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
No .... what was the point of letting the Bighton fans choose their seats in the first season and many for good reason like myself only to have that choice taken away.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
What do you do pre game? Get there early to nap a good seat or stay on the concourse having a drink and watching the lunch time game and then join the scramble to get a seat just before kick off. Only to discover lots of coats and bags on seats reserving them.

Oh because that happens at away games all the time!

Are people really that stubborn that they would refuse to give up their seat? It's a seat.... :facepalm:

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Had the same seat since the Amex was opened. Would happily give it up for this idea.

Me too, had the same seat in the North Stand since first season at the Amex, atmosphere needs to improve.
Cash turnstiles are worth a trial as well

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If the football we watched at the Amex was better then so would the atmosphere. Even if all the singers were bundled into one area, the dross we have been served up this season, so far, is not going to make them sing for 90 minutes!!!!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
No .... what was the point of letting the Bighton fans choose their seats in the first season and many for good reason like myself only to have that choice taken away.

Because things change.

Experience has taught us that the stadium atmosphere has deteriorated with the construction of the "police box" and the subsequent fragmentation of the vocal support. If the club determine that this is a bigger problem than a few alienated fans and chose to address the problem by going down Doncaster's route then, unless you or anyone else in the North Stand bought your seat for life, your dis might be gruntled but all they would be contravening is your acquired but false sense that possession is 9/10ths of the law.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
My brothers are in the back row, behind the goal, with private seat licences. I don't think it would be right to suddenly say no, you can't have those seats anymore. Surely they'd have to be given a full refund?

Besides, I'm not totally convinced it would make a huge difference. Winning football will make a difference. Away games will always be better because people have traveled and its more of an occasion being away from home.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
What is so special about that specific seat?

In my opinion, it has the best view in the ground - and that's precisely the reason that I chose it during the priority period. As already mentioned, I sit with a specific group of people who travel from different places and arrive at the ground at different times. Making the stand unreserved would make it difficult for us to still sit together.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Withdean equivalent was that the 'officially designated singing section' used to be J Block. Then over the course of one close season, they bumped it along to H Block to make it more central. Can't remember how they managed it now, just that they did. Don't see any real reason why something similar couldn't be progressively introduced at the Amex. Maybe something as simple as a tick box at renewal time that asks if you want to stay where you are or whether you want to gravitate more towards/away from a nominal singing section. Though you'd hope the North wouldn't require this level of nannying and could just generate a bit of noise throughout.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Seem to recall it is only allowed if stand will be <60% full? (maybe a slightly different figure).
Therefore it would a) not be allowed for most matches at the Amex and b) preclude the sale of tickets on the day to prevent the attendance going over that %.

Exactly, it's a non-starter so I've voted NO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here