Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does the BBC get too much of our Money?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
These days TVs are not just TVs are they...........without a "TV" how can I access the web and other media?

In today's modern world why should the state force me to pay for something I don't want?

It seems to me that denying people this choice is the very opposite of freedom...........at least I know what side of the debate I am on.

I don't want Trident, still have to pay for it though.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I don't want Trident, still have to pay for it though.

If there was a single discrete levy imposed by the state relating to Trident then you would have a point, however as you know the cost of Trident is taken from general taxation as determined by the political party in Govt.

Personally I would rather not pay any of my tax to the EU, but I have to live with the political parties in charge.................such is democracy.

The licence fee by contrast, as you agree, is a licence for a TV. Before the internet and the modern media world, I could understand why people would need pay for the BBC and other broadcasters. However that is not the case today and the general public has a rich abundance of choice of what media they wish to consume. The BBC is merely one of many options for the consumer.

This market should be liberalised, and open to all media competitors so the consumer only pays for what they want.

The state broadcaster should not be imposed on those who dont want it, nor should the state criminalise those who dont pay..............particularly the poor.

Let the BBC be paid for by those that want it....................I am sure you would agree that in a free society that should not be too much to ask for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here