Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apple 'Computer' buying advice/recommendations?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It depends on the exact model - the 8GB could be comprised of two 4GB banks.

Two banks of four you say! Perhaps I did need reminding this is a football forum after all :lol:

Good point! If I find it's two 4gb then it would be false economy to start shuffling that around. Are you confirming then that it's two slots, no less no more, I'd have to work with?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Two banks of four you say! Perhaps I did need reminding this is a football forum after all :lol:

Good point! If I find it's two 4gb then it would be false economy to start shuffling that around. Are you confirming then that it's two slots, no less no more, I'd have to work with?

Yes, most have two slots. If it is two 4GB then you'd by two 8GB to get your 16GB. (I'm guessing you could sell the original two 4GB banks afterwards)

You can check here:
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201165

Or by clicking About This Mac | System Report

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Bear in mind the 'latest' MacBook Pro's have non upgradeable memory installed. It's 'soldered' onto the board. Anything after mid 2012 releases.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes, most have two slots. If it is two 4GB then you'd by two 8GB to get your 16GB. (I'm guessing you could sell the original two 4GB banks afterwards)

You can check here:
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201165

Or by clicking About This Mac | System Report

Thanks, that's the page I found before that led me to believe most of the machines had two slots and it was pretty easy to put memory in and out.

I wanted to comfirm here that I had that right and wasn't missing something obvious. Good job I did come here as your point about it coming with two 4gbs didn't occur to me, I imagined one 8gb in there giving the option to add another 8gb. I see know that they recommend running with both slots filled, and that you should have equal sizes in each slot. So most likely any 8gb will be shipped the way you suggest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here