Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you charge your kids "keep"

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It's a bit harsh to make her pay something just for the sake of it. I guess it depends on your financial situation but if you don't need the money why on earth would you make life harder for her than it needs to be :shrug:

She's 16, let her behave like a 16 year old.

suedy

suedygull
Aug 8, 2010
burgess hill
Assuming your still getting Child Benefit for her then no I don't think you should. However if you think you need to do something as a gesture, cancel the multi room and say if she wants it she'll have to pay for it.

My lad is 14 and has cleaning job after school earning good £.He wanted multi room so we said he could,if he paid for it.Never failed to pay us on pay day.We think he is learning the value of money so personally I would be charging a token amount.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If your kids are earning a wage and living at home they should make a contribution instead of sponging off you.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Interesting debate. I grew up in a family business, where it was expected we all worked for the business and you got a bit of cash in your pocket but everything was for the house and business. I got fifty quid a week cash and everything else went into the pot.

Wouldn't have had it any other way.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I never charged my son while he was at college, and not while he was only working part time. Now he works full time i charge him about 12% of his wages.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I never charged my son while he was at college, and not while he was only working part time. Now he works full time i charge him about 12% of his wages.

The rough guide used to be 25% of gross, or 33% of take home. I know it is very tough to get out there into the property and rental market, but parents need to give their kids a reason to move on, unless we are all planning on using them as cheap nursing when we get old?

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Jevs - I would say that your daughter is only young once and let her spend her money
as she wants without being tied to 'keep'. She will have enough debt in her
life I am sure with the way the climate is at the moment - and goodwill by you now
will bound to be re-paid later (not of course that you should be looking for
that).

Live and let live.

D

Deleted member 2719

My parents had a third of my wage a third went to running my motorbike and a third to lash up against the wall.I think my parents got it spot on, if I had more cash in my pocket after living school I could have wasted more up against the wall.It gives you a real grounding and budgeting for life once you fly the nest and makes you more likely to fly the nest!
My kids will get charged!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Seems a bit harsh to be charging rent to a 16 year old still in full time ed. It's good that she earns herself a bit of money to buy her teenage girls' stuff, instead of expecting you to put your hand in your pocket. That alone should teach her the value of money.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The rough guide used to be 25% of gross, or 33% of take home. I know it is very tough to get out there into the property and rental market, but parents need to give their kids a reason to move on, unless we are all planning on using them as cheap nursing when we get old?

I dont see it that way, I as a parent of two very good kids we encourage them to be well mannered and considerate etc. and tried to ensure they got some decent education and qualifications that might offer some life options but I also try encourage them to have lots of fun and NOT worry too much about bloody saving plans and the property market.

They are 18 -22 years old and I hope they have some giggles on route to real adulthood, marriage and to parenthood, mortgages and under performaing ISA's.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I don't see the harm in it, my parents asked for a small portion of my wages once I had started work and I didn't begrudge it for a second.

It's only right (I believe) that at the age where people are most likely to be using crazy amounts of electricity, whilst eating everything in sight, that they're asked to contribute a little towards it.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
I started paying rent when I first got a full time job at 18.
I paid £100pm out of £750pm take home. I then decided to do an apprenticeship in something with a few more prospects. Did a deal with my mum to not pay rent for the 12 months of the course while I was on £480pm, then I would pay double what I used to when I finished it.
I finished it 4 months early and true to my word started paying again at £200pm.
My Mum then fell on hard times so I started £450-500pm for about 12 months to cover costs.
She is now a hell of a lot better off and I only pay £150pm at 21, mostly because I rarely eat at home and tend to only be home for a few nights a week so my money pays for my room really.

I've never begrudged paying 'keep'. I know that when I move into my own place in the near future I can budget and manage my money correctly. However I'm also very thankful for break in rent I had while I was on my apprenticeship, it meant I could focus on the course and learning my trade.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It's only right (I believe) that at the age where people are most likely to be using crazy amounts of electricity, whilst eating everything in sight, that they're asked to contribute a little towards it.

An interesting perspective! I might stick a Pre pay electric meter in his bedroom, should limit his x box a bit more when he runs out of pound coins......

It's just like the arcades on west Street son.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here