Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norwich fan on Hughton

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They beat Spurs and got a point against Man City(c) in February.

Interesting though that 7 teams got 38 points or less that season. 34 points was safety.

That'll be the season City (c) lost 6 and drew 5.
While Spurs had what was then a normal season losing 11 and drawing 6.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
"He presided over a record transfer spend, then employed awful, negative tactics and never had a plan B." ........

How does this resonate?....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
It resonates as the same old stuck record from people desperate to have a clever opinion on something when actually they are just demonstrating a baffling blend of ignorance, negativity and naivety.

It is part of human nature and can be found in all activities the world over. The same people moaning on here about Chris Hughton will be convinced that they could easily do a better job of running the organisation they work for / their children's schools / the country / the universe etc

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
It resonates as the same old stuck record from people desperate to have a clever opinion on something when actually they are just demonstrating a baffling blend of ignorance, negativity and naivety.

It is part of human nature and can be found in all activities the world over. The same people moaning on here about Chris Hughton will be convinced that they could easily do a better job of running the organisation they work for / their children's schools / the country / the universe etc

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
A tad pompous aren't you...... ?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Blimey!

Do you ever go out ?
Or just spend your life looking for posts to quote?

He's 3 years back in his thread search, so just wait for more semi-relevant tripe to appear. One trick pony.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey!

Do you ever go out ?
Or just spend your life looking for posts to quote?

Disassociation and procrastination are my only friends. :lol:

Sadly it doesn't take long to find threads that are heavily weighted towards 'Hughton & negative tactics'.
The point I'm trying to make is:-

'why are so many poster now surprised by this development?'.

D

Deleted member 2719

We've had two of the best seasons we've ever had under Hughton. Lots of goals, attacking often direct football, fantastic team spirit. A half season struggle in the Premier League does not alter history. Nor does it change the lack of depth Norwich had, and the troubles they've had since.

Perhaps he blew the budget for previous managers???

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Well it looks like some people have the pitchforks and flaming torches out already...

When players are deemed not good enough for the Prem, there's no mercy shown.

Why should it be any different for a manager. We're in a "what a have you done for me lately " division now I'm afraid.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I've nothing against Norwich, great fan base, friendly fans. Even though I was once told to "go back to Broit-unn you gay boy" by one of their finest outside the ground once. As I was walking along holding my wife's hand.

Done a Di Canio to Winterburn on him. Shat himself the silly man.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Apologies for starting a new thread, I did read the one when he was appointed, but can't seem to locate it now after I had to wait a day or two for mods to accept my account.

Firstly, I was disappointed to see all the negative comments about NCFC in that thread. Not sure why so many of your fans seem to have taken issue with us, as we generally get on well with other team's fanbases, and I have particularly fond memories of Brighton away about 10 years ago, my first away game with my mates and how well we were treated by Brighton fans, who were nothing but absolute gentlemen towards us, and helped us out with getting the bus to the ground etc.

Anyway, the main point of my post was to give my insight as to Hughton. I think he is a good appointment for you, with the position you are in at the moment.

He didn't work for Norwich, but I do think he is a very good Championship manager, as opposed to a capable Premier League one.

No doubt he was working against circumstance with the position we were in at the lower end of Prem, but he spent 12 million on strikers and then played a system which played to neither Hooper nor Van Wolfswinkel's strengths, resulting in a haul of just 6 goals between them, which was the primary reason we went down to be honest. He presided over a record transfer spend, then employed awful, negative tactics and never had a plan B. This is epitomised at 2-0 down after 30 mins against Man City, and he took a striker off and brought a Defensive Mid on to limit the damage. You might say that's sensible, but when you're in the moment, it's the most embarassing, disappointing display of lack of faith in his players. Basically he looked out of his comfort zone, and out of his depth.

My main problems with him was the negative, horrible football, lack of Plan B, (at Easter in his first season, we went 4 of 6 games without registering a shot on or off target) and absolute ineptitude with subs. He made 64 subs last year before any of them came on and scored, or even got an assist. No other manager in any division managed to have such little impact when making subs last season.

I do think, with another manager, we would have comfortably stayed up last season, and I said in November that if he was still in at Christmas, we were going down. The football we played was diabolical, I've never been less impassioned about Norwich than I was under CH. You may say that's circumstance, bottom end of the Prem etc. But Swansea, So'ton prove that is not necessarily the case if you have the right man in charge.

Overall CH just didn't fit with us, and what we wanted to achieve, and he never looked like a comfortable fit for the club. He did do some good things in the first season, we went on a 10 game unbeaten run, and put several of the big boys to the sword.

Having said all of that though, I do think he is a top manager at this level, and I think you will do well with him at the helm. Personally, I would not want him at Norwich for round 2, but that is purely based on the baggage that would be attached to that reality, rather than lacking faith in his ability. He had Bham and Newcastle playing lovely stuff. What he did at Newcastle is slightly marred by the fact they were a Premier League squad playing in the Champs, but he worked miracles at Birmingham and you only have to look at their struggles since he left to realise what an excellent job he did there.

I wish Chris nothing but good fortune, although it did not work out with us, he is a really nice bloke and deserves to be successful. I would be concerned if I were you with his ability to change a game if you go behind, but he will certainly make you more solid at the back so hopefully that won't happen too often.

It is absolutely nailed on you will sign Bassong off us by the way - he refers to Hughton as a "father". I suspect you may take Elliot Benno too, seems Adams doesn't like him for whatever reason - I think he's a decent player, but he doesn't seem to get a look in with us at the moment so I think best for all parties if he gets the move that I presume he wants, to BHA.

Good luck to Hughton, and good luck to yourselves for the rest of the season, genuinely hope he can help you put the struggles behind you and pushing on up the table.

You could have saved your breath. We all know what Norwich fans think of CH and his tactics and have heard the Man City story many times. Just because a manager didn't work out at one particular club doesn't mean he won't work out at another. I'm sure he learnt lessons. I for one am sick to the teeth of people moaning about Chris Hughton. He took us up and at the moment he's keeping us afloat. How can people say we're negative given his tactics in the last two EPL home games? People wanted him to change formation against Chelsea and we lost 4-0. Then he gets slagged off for being too negative against Southampton even though we got a credible 1-1 draw. I really wish people would just get off his back. Given the players we have, we have actually done more than OK this season so far.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You could have saved your breath. We all know what Norwich fans think of CH and his tactics and have heard the Man City story many times. Just because a manager didn't work out at one particular club doesn't mean he won't work out at another. I'm sure he learnt lessons. I for one am sick to the teeth of people moaning about Chris Hughton. He took us up and at the moment he's keeping us afloat. How can people say we're negative given his tactics in the last two EPL home games? People wanted him to change formation against Chelsea and we lost 4-0. Then he gets slagged off for being too negative against Southampton even though we got a credible 1-1 draw. I really wish people would just get off his back. Given the players we have, we have actually done more than OK this season so far.
How can people say we're negative? Seriously? Look at how many goals we are scoring and the low possession numbers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
How can people say we're negative? Seriously? Look at how many goals we are scoring and the low possession numbers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
1. Don't quote me out of context.
2. Lack of goals don't always mean the tactics are negative. We played an extremely attacking formation against Chelsea and didn't score. We took the game to United at Old Trafford and certainly couldnt be accused of 'sitting back'. And didn't score.

The issue is mostly with away games. We've been positive at home. But you'd prefer us to go away and lose 5-2 presumably?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
When players are deemed not good enough for the Prem, there's no mercy shown.

Why should it be any different for a manager. We're in a "what a have you done for me lately " division now I'm afraid.

But when the manager is sacked and the players then only pick up 1 more point in the next five games, was it really the manager at fault?

el punal

Unfortunately a lot of our fans have very short memories. When Chris Hughton arrived in January 2015 we were relegation candidates to drop in to League 1. It was obvious that his one and only objective for the remainder of the season was avoid the drop - we did. Rebuild the team in the summer, he did that and we've never looked back.

So at last we gain promotion to the Premier League. Many of us would never have thought this possible, even in our wildest dreams, but we did. And ever since that wonderful day of triumph last April we were deemed as relegation candidates from the off.

Again, it was obvious to the majority of Albion fans, and probably Chris Hughton and Tony Bloom, that the team would struggle and, like the early months of 2015, the mantra was the same - survive. Do that and then we can consolidate. Well we are surviving, and yes some of the football is not pretty but sometimes the ends justify the means.

For those of you that crave all action attacking football and insist that the team follow that football philosophy, fine. Just don't moan at the end of the season if we get relegated because we've been so gung-ho that those 0-0 draws (worth a point) turn into 2-3 defeats (worth nothing).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here