Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norwich fan on Hughton

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Unfortunately a lot of our fans have very short memories. When Chris Hughton arrived in January 2015 we were relegation candidates to drop in to League 1. It was obvious that his one and only objective for the remainder of the season was avoid the drop - we did. Rebuild the team in the summer, he did that and we've never looked back.

So at last we gain promotion to the Premier League. Many of us would never have thought this possible, even in our wildest dreams, but we did. And ever since that wonderful day of triumph last April we were deemed as relegation candidates from the off.

Again, it was obvious to the majority of Albion fans, and probably Chris Hughton and Tony Bloom, that the team would struggle and, like the early months of 2015, the mantra was the same - survive. Do that and then we can consolidate. Well we are surviving, and yes some of the football is not pretty but sometimes the ends justify the means.

For those of you that crave all action attacking football and insist that the team follow that football philosophy, fine. Just don't moan at the end of the season if we get relegated because we've been so gung-ho that those 0-0 draws (worth a point) turn into 2-3 defeats (worth nothing).

The only reason the Albion stayed us was because there were 3 team worse.
Hopefully exactly the same will happen again.

To add even more to that similarity, he'll be trying to keep the Albion up with a shitehouse strike force.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Isn't that always the case - that teams stay up because there are worse teams that get relegated?! I didn't think we deserved to go down that season and we didn't.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
But when the manager is sacked and the players then only pick up 1 more point in the next five games, was it really the manager at fault?

Manager takes team up from Championship, after doing a great job. Manager and team are now in a much harder division. Team perform poorly, which is probably what any sane person would expect. Manager gets untold grief from fans until the end of time.

At the start of the season, near enough every pundit expected us to go straight down again. That is a reflection of the entire package we have versus the competition. Including the initial players, the manager, the buying power, the collective experience. Lots of people are happy to point the finger at CH for 'negative' tictacs, but we've got the benefit of hindsight there, presumably 'positive' tactics would have netted us more points.

Jesus some of the chief complainers even have 'it's a marathon, not a sprint' in their signature!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
You could have saved your breath. We all know what Norwich fans think of CH and his tactics and have heard the Man City story many times. Just because a manager didn't work out at one particular club doesn't mean he won't work out at another. I'm sure he learnt lessons. I for one am sick to the teeth of people moaning about Chris Hughton. He took us up and at the moment he's keeping us afloat. How can people say we're negative given his tactics in the last two EPL home games? People wanted him to change formation against Chelsea and we lost 4-0. Then he gets slagged off for being too negative against Southampton even though we got a credible 1-1 draw. I really wish people would just get off his back. Given the players we have, we have actually done more than OK this season so far.

Kev, it's from 03-01-2015!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Isn't that always the case - that teams stay up because there are worse teams that get relegated?! I didn't think we deserved to go down that season and we didn't.

Indeed kevo!

And if you think about it, the only reason City are top is because there are 19 teams worse than them, that's it. If it wasn't for that they'd actually be BOTTOM this season! Mad when you think about it eh, especially with the amount they've spent... :shrug:

I will agree with the sentiment that I'd like to see Chris go for it, when we are 1-0 down and there are 20 mins left. But then I've not done any analysis on how often goal difference makes the difference!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

To add even more to that similarity, he'll be trying to keep the Albion up with a shitehouse strike force.

When was the last time you were happy?

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
The part in the OP's post about substitutions having little to no impact is ominously familiar. Whether it's because our bench players aren't capable of taking a game by the scruff of the neck and changing it when they are called upon and the pressure is on, whether they don't have the ability for this league full stop or whether it's to do with Hughton's game plans and the way he sets up the team/integrates subs into the team, along with his tactical decision making, I'm not completely sure but it's likely a combination of all three.

I can remember a few subs this season that have improved team play somewhat but none that have really changed the course of a game in our favour. Brown had the potential to have an impact with an open goal against Everton, Hughton made a good decision in bringing March on for Schelotto against Huddersfield and it could have been huge were the game in the balance but it was dead and buried by then, other than that off the top of my (very tired and sleep deprived) head I can't remember a substitute coming on and creating or being on the end of a clear cut goalscoring opportunity that would have won a match or rescued a point.

We don't have many (if any) match winners or impact players unlike some of the teams around us, which is somewhat to be expected with a squad and club that has just come up, although it doesn't help that our substitutions are like for like much of the time for fresh legs instead of providing us with a different outlet, and they often come on very late or in phases of games when their impact is likely to be minimal. Target man on for target man (which previously Hughton hasn't been able to help admittedly with his hands being tied for options up front), number 10 for a number 8, winger for another winger but the game plan and formation does not change accordingly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Sorry I wasn't really expansive, what with it being old news.

CH got the same amount of points from his half of the season as Sami did earlier.
The Albion gained 1 point from the 3 '6 pointers' they still had to play.
He maintained Hyypia's baffling system of play and introduced us to Leon Best.

I always bristle when 'he had one job to do and did it' gets trotted out.

CH has become the best Albion manager I've seen at the club, and despite what many on NSC think, has produced some great football this season, on top of the very best football after that shaky start.

Last edited:

el punal

Too true! If I remember correctly I think we only scored once in the last eight games of 2014/15 season, need to check that one though.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
1. Don't quote me out of context.
2. Lack of goals don't always mean the tactics are negative. We played an extremely attacking formation against Chelsea and didn't score. We took the game to United at Old Trafford and certainly couldnt be accused of 'sitting back'. And didn't score.

The issue is mostly with away games. We've been positive at home. But you'd prefer us to go away and lose 5-2 presumably?
Not taken out of context at all. Our performances and goal scoring prowess proves how negative we are. And no, I'm not thinking that we should go all out against the top six and get thrashed but I do expect us to keep pressing when a goal up against the 10 teams we are battling to stay up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not taken out of context at all. Our performances and goal scoring prowess proves how negative we are. And no, I'm not thinking that we should go all out against the top six and get thrashed but I do expect us to keep pressing when a goal up against the 10 teams we are battling to stay up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It doesn’t prove that in the slightest.

Has it crossed your mind that our largely Championship first 11 and squad, might be simply be struggling at this level, particularly in most of our games against 17 clubs who’ve spent huge sums on wages/fees over many PL transfer windows in creating top flight quality squads.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The problem for me is we arent playing the same style of football that took us up last year.

After going 1-0 up Wednesday night we should have gone at them for a second but instead we just sat back and it eventually cost us. very frustrating to watch and not only that very dull to watch.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
It resonates as the same old stuck record from people desperate to have a clever opinion on something when actually they are just demonstrating a baffling blend of ignorance, negativity and naivety.

It is part of human nature and can be found in all activities the world over. The same people moaning on here about Chris Hughton will be convinced that they could easily do a better job of running the organisation they work for / their children's schools / the country / the universe etc

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I can't do a better job than CH as a football manager, I can't do a better job than him on the pitch, in training, in club media or anything, frankly. But then I am not the manager, I'm a fan and as a FAN I want to see us spend money on players and then use them to the best of their ability. That is something that is not happening right now and is a fair cause for frustration. I can all but guarantee you that every other manager of the calibre of CH and above would be able to get more than 5 goals and 4 assists from Knockaert, Izquierdo and March combined.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here