Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jimmy's restaurant in the marina

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes. There was some US Craft beer at the same price. The advert was on the wall in the bogs so I was not paying complete attention.

It was the Brewdog This. Is. Lager.

That's the new Brewdog lager. It's very good and a steal at the price but I'm glad you clarified this as if it was Punk IPA at £3.15 me and [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] would now be rushing there to drain their stock.

They usually have some great beers on, the trick is to find one with decent customers...seems like the marina branch ticks this box?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
That's the new Brewdog lager. It's very good and a steal at the price but I'm glad you clarified this as if it was Punk IPA at £3.15 me and [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] would now be rushing there to drain their stock.

They usually have some great beers on, the trick is to find one with decent customers...seems like the marina branch ticks this box?

I have never been there in an evening. At lunchtime it is family groups. But there are tables outside with a view over the harbour.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Don't do it!!!!

God awful place to eat

We will as last meal before eldest leaves us for 6 months so his choice.

Anyway been several times and not that bad.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I'd suggest not going to the Marina in the first place, adding whatever you saved on travel to the 10-15 pounds and getting something decent in town.
Absolutely. Please stay away. All of you. We don't want any NSC riff-raff down here, thanks very much.

The only restaurant with any shred of authenticity at the Marina is Bella Napoli. Real Italian food, in a place owned and staffed by real Italians. Shouting at each other in real Italian - imagine! Great atmosphere. Though, sadly, food quality can be a bit variable.

The biggest fraud down here is the Italian Brasserie ("Brasserie"??? wtf). Owned by Indians.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have never been there in an evening. At lunchtime it is family groups. But there are tables outside with a view over the harbour.

I've only been in the airport branches, Hove, Balham and a handful of others whilst at away games and they've all been quiet. My opinion might therefore be limited. But I can imagine city centre ones can get rowdy at night.

There's that Albion fan called Doc who has visited most of them, wonder what his view is?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
We had a family walk yesterday - over 40 walking from Rottingdean on the undercliff to the Marina - and a coffee (or whatever people wanted) at the Wetherspoons. No need to book, plenty of space, sensible pricing. Easy (and free) to park for those we met there, or who did not want to walk back. Interesting to see the cruisers for sale and the fishing boats. Difficult to find anything to criticise really.
If it's cruisers you're after, go a little further west. Duke's Mound offers a wide and varied selection. Allegedly.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Are you unable to go 2-3 hours without a meal then Notters ? if so, there is always the 2 Litre popcorn pots and 1 Litre Cokes to keep off the pangs of starvation in the cinema.:thumbsup:

Generally go down there after work. Don't really fancy having my dindins at 11pm! Don't get me wrong I'd generally prefer to go to an independent eatery in Brighton but you're talking and extra hour and £5 for parking.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
The West Quay Wetherspoons at the Marina is fine. Cheap beer, cheap food minus the more colourful characters who tend to frequent Spoons plus the view is nice from the balcony on a sunny summers day.....what's not to like?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Let's get this straight. Buffets do not have a single redeeming feature. Not one. The ingredients are the worst of the worst, ordered in bulk to make the chain a profit whilst being able to keep prices low. Because they are ordered and cooked in such bulk the food is stored anywhere they have room - hence the toilet story on this thread. The chefs are unlikely to be skilled in any way as they are not required to cook to order (other than to throw something in a wok), cannot taste their food and have no need to present it neatly. Then it's stuck under 4th grade heat lamps to keep "warm" while everyone from Grandpa Joe to 18 month old toddlers sneeze, cough and spit over it.

Presumably your definition of food snob is anyone who isn't prepared to put up with the above just so they can stuff themselves to the point of being unable to walk in order to brag about the tremendous bargain they got.

Nope nothing as complicated as that, maybe for those that can't afford to take the family out much this sort of venue may suit, that's all. I've not yet seen one reply that changes my original view that there's defiantly snobbery in them there hills[emoji1] in fact food toffs[emoji1]

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

You're not wrong HT. I'd have been there like a shot.

I have never been in the Wetherspoons at the Marina, but living in Ovingdean means that it is incredibly convenient. I will investigate.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Let's get this straight. Buffets do not have a single redeeming feature. Not one. The ingredients are the worst of the worst, ordered in bulk to make the chain a profit whilst being able to keep prices low. Because they are ordered and cooked in such bulk the food is stored anywhere they have room - hence the toilet story on this thread. The chefs are unlikely to be skilled in any way as they are not required to cook to order (other than to throw something in a wok), cannot taste their food and have no need to present it neatly. Then it's stuck under 4th grade heat lamps to keep "warm" while everyone from Grandpa Joe to 18 month old toddlers sneeze, cough and spit over it.

Presumably your definition of food snob is anyone who isn't prepared to put up with the above just so they can stuff themselves to the point of being unable to walk in order to brag about the tremendous bargain they got.

When you go out to dinner how many people do you personally pay for?

Do you have a family of say 2-3 children?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When my mum suggested to my dad that they go out for a meal, his answer was " why have you forgotten how to cook?" How times change, probably influenced by cooking programs on TV.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
One of the better reviews I have read on trip advisor

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...ews-Jimmy_s-Brighton_East_Sussex_England.html

I entered Jimmy's excited to try the newest restaurant in the marina with my family and enjoy what I perceived to be a novel dinning concept of world cusine all under one roof.

I was greeted with a wall of cellulite standing in the door ahead salivating and sweating like necromancers of lard, preparing to worship at the bovine church of consumption. We finally after a short wait got a table and attempted to enter into (not what I was hoping for but) "the stuff as much into your face as possible" ethos.

Sadly on my first trip to the food stations one of my children was taken out by an enormous gut in full swing as food seemed to have ceased to enter it and needed to feed at all costs. A 4 year old girl was clearly merely a spec of dust in its path to praise and enlightenment through food.

Having realized I should have brought my Rugby kit I sat the children down and got some food for them. I wish I hadn't of bothered, one had some tomato pasta, how it is possible to screw this up, I don't know but Jimmy's manged! It was so over cooked it was inedible and tasted akin to the smell of a shell fisherman's bait bin.

The other daughter got some Sushi, well warm rice topped with pepper and something that may have been crab stick on a good day (perhaps Tuesday but today was Saturday), either way it is tasted a bit like like what I would imagine a vagrants feet might.

I went (after some deliberation) for what I perceived as the least 'minging' option of a curry. I was greeted with quite a spread and thought this was the turning point of the meal! Sadly it tasted a little bit like I imagine the aforementioned guts bottom crack may have but with less spice and flavor.

The drinks order was wrong and I attempted to correct it but it was wrong again as me and the (I must say very well mannered) server were on different pages one of us was clearly reading Dostoyevsky and other had not found Wally. I gave up as I had a feeling the quest for the man in the stripy jumper was not about to be resolved.

The lord only knows what the missus was trying to eat; something supposedly from the Chinese branch of cookery? It looked like the left overs of a massacre and tasted a bit like a Saudi Arabian drain I once fell down.

Both myself an the family were somewhat ill the next day. This was varying from rampant diahorrea to the sushi consuming daughters sickness. The 'trots' I had could only be likened to a laxative fueled explosion a akin to WW2 bombing raid which continued to leave my rear at hurricane force leaving our bathroom like some kind of dirty protest.

The good people at jimmy's will at some stage I am sure insert one of their cut and pasted comments for my review. Jimmy's have a whole document of such responses which can be seen on a review response to one 'nickmiller93' dated 13th May 2015 on this very site! I did try and cut and paste this in to save the nice people at Jimmy's a job, as I am nice like that but sadly its against the tripadvisor rules :-(

In conclusion I've had better food on aeroplanes, at McDonalds and far far better a 3am doner kebab shop. Some people seem to like this restaurant (I suspect they are mostly heavier than me) but I would propose it is vision of consumerist hell.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Last edited:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Getting past the food snobs is quite a task on here.

Jimmys is never ever going to win any catering awards but what it does do is cater for a mass audience - mainly the 13-40 year olds.

Both my teenage boys love Jimmys and whilst i would rather go to a sit down restaurant and be served by a waiter, no one can really knock this restaurant as they do cater for every palette.

If you want a fine dining experience or dont like buffet style restaurants or you dont have a decent appetite then you wont enjoy it.

If you want a relatively cheap meal out with your family or a group of friends then Jimmys may be the place for you to go.

Ive been there 4 times since it opened.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Love these kinda hipster reviews, everyone thinks they are funny and therefore the actual information in the review is well nothing.....

He could have simply said...... "The Staff are as thick as feck, The clientele are mainly fat poor people, and the food is shit"

That is all we need to know, job done.

Captain Corelli's Mandolin (rewritten by Not A Hipster)

Greece was a bit shit during the war. Luckily not all the Italians were real fascists. That love stuff's a bit complicated though innit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here