Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2015

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Paul's Boutique is an interesting one. It was wildly criticised upon release but now it's seen as a classic. Best described as way ahead of its time IMHO.

And Licensed to Ill was derided as novelty guff, not to be taken seriously. I love it - probably, still, my favourite Beasties album.

Paul's Boutique is a brilliant album.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Public Enemy released 4 good albums (3 classics) then a remix and rarities album and everything after that was mediocre.

Run out of ideas for Hip Hop.

De La Soul, Jungle Brothers etc all seem to only have 2 or 3 decent albums in them.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Ramones, Leave Home, Rocket to Russia, Road to Ruin, It's Alive/End of the Century*

* delete as applicable depending on the inclusion of live albums, or not...

Went a bit wrong after that though. Pleasant Dreams and Subterranean Jungle were both awful.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Joni Mitchell: pick almost any run of five for me. Most would probably go with the 'classic' period I guess:

1969 Clouds
1970 Ladies of the Canyon
1971 Blue
1972 For the Roses
1974 Court and Spark

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
deletebeepbeepbeep;67652 52 said:
Public Enemy released 4 good albums (3 classics) then a remix and rarities album and everything after that was mediocre.

Run out of ideas for Hip Hop.

De La Soul, Jungle Brothers etc all seem to only have 2 or 3 decent albums in them.

I think Kendrick Lamar is well on his way to it, in 20 years he'll be remembered as a legend IMO. Section.80 & Good Kid, m.A.A.d city are both 9/10 albums. His 3rd album comes out this year and I can't f*cking wait. If its half as good as GKMC then it'll probably be my AOTY. He seems to be getting better & better too. His Verse on Control is arguably the best Hip-Hop verses of my lifetime. If you haven't heard it before then skip to 2:55 on the song below.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I think Kendrick Lamar is well on his way to it, in 20 years he'll be remembered as a legend IMO. Section.80 & Good Kid, m.A.A.d city are both 9/10 albums. His 3rd album comes out this year and I can't f*cking wait. If its half as good as GKMC then it'll probably be my AOTY. He seems to be getting better & better too. His Verse on Control is arguably the best Hip-Hop verses of my lifetime. If you haven't heard it before then skip to 2:55 on the song below.

Honestly, other than individual albums I haven't followed Hip Hop for 10 years at this point, but I've heard Kendrick Lamar from his appearance on the Flying Lotus album this year. I'll listen to this track when I get home!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm very much enjoying The 2 Bears recent long player. It certainly livens up a dreary January.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The man is a genius. It's like he assimilated all previous rock music culture, added his own twist and just spewed it out for well over a decade.

Absolutely this.

I always remember the advert that accompanied the release of Scary Monsters, at a time when people were quite polarised about what they were 'allowed' to like.

It stated "There's Old Wave, there's New Wave, and there's David Bowie".

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I suspect the first great album of the year is going to come from those ex-Women types Viet Cong. Check out this beauty, it's like a cross between Women and Interpol. Gorgeous noise

They are playing The Green Door soon. I saw Women live twice and they were both fantastic gigs, I can't see why this would be any different. Gives me an excuse to post this as well, from Public Strain, one of the most underrated albums of the decade IMHO.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The Viet Cong album has me intrigued. I've seen great reviews all around for it so definitely on my shopping list. Talking of album of the year (!) Those people at God Is In The TV have said that the Diagrams album 'Chromatics' will be one of the contenders. Normally I'd ignore such presumption when we're only halfway through January but I do tend to take notice of their reviews. I'm going to buy it soon and then give a review on here. I've only heard one tune so far, Phantom Power, and it sounds sort of Belle and Sebastian but with a bit more welly.

Looking forward to the Wave Pictures forthcoming album, they played a set on the Marc Riley show recently and it's as witty, as English, as engaging as ever from what I heard. And the Charlatans album will be must-buy if only to satisfy the the inner Dad Rock within me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here