Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2015

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yup, enjoying this Panda Bear record. I found Tomboy a little too cold, this one appears to have a little more of the dreaminess of Person Pitch, without losing the linear songwriting of Tomboy.

It's not one that makes me rush for the repeat button though, a little samey.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I've only listened to the Panda Bear album once and its not grabbing me at all, I agree with you SHC it is very same and other than a couple of tracks there's not a lot to get the pulse racing- maybe it will grow on me.

The new Belle and Sebastian album is now streaming on NPR.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
For those of you in to Deep House then it might be worth keeping an ear out for a young Brighton artist called Freddie Martin.

*Shameless plug 'cos I know him*

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
These cheeky chappies have their debut album out very soon,....... I have tickets to see them next month in Bristol, cant wait.....

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Early thread diversion. I've been having a massive Bowie revival recently.

Is there a better 5 album run by anyone than Station to Station, Low, "Heroes", Lodger and Scary Monster?

Digging this inparticular at the moment.

His Bobness?

The Times They Are A-Changin'
Another Side of Bob Dylan
Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde on Blonde

1964-66!

From 2000. Rather special if you like that kind of thing...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ghost Culture - Ghost Culture

Ghost Culture has picked up a pretty big following on SoundCloud over the last 12 months and his debut album doesn't disappoint. Ambient House mixed with IDM and a pinch of Trance. This is an album I can see growing on me throughout the year, wouldn't be surprised to see this make a lot of Top 10 albums in 12 months time. If you like Electric music this is worth a listen.

I've just got this myself. Really looking forward to hearing it, sounds awesome on paper.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Early thread diversion. I've been having a massive Bowie revival recently.

Is there a better 5 album run by anyone than Station to Station, Low, "Heroes", Lodger and Scary Monster?

Digging this inparticular at the moment.

Coincidentally, I have also been listening to Bowie a lot since last summer.

I agree on the five album run, and raise you:
The Man Who Sold the World, Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Alladin Sane, Diamond Dogs. Magnificent.

I know Pin Ups was in there somewhere, but it doesn't really count, novelty covers album that it was.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The Phantom band have an album out at the end of the month. Like buses- you wait ages for one and then two arrive together.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The Phantom band have an album out at the end of the month. Like buses- you wait ages for one and then two arrive together.

I read somewhere that this record is stuff they didn't put on Strange Friend because it was a bit too dark and wierd, which got me interested. Shame they aren't coming back to Brighton but there is a London date that I'm too broke to attend.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Man Who Sold the World, Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Alladin Sane, Diamond Dogs. Magnificent.

I know Pin Ups was in there somewhere, but it doesn't really count, novelty covers album that it was.

The Stones' Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile and Goat's Head Soup five album run is a challegenger. All released in just under 5 years as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Phantasy is a great label.

Ghost Culture co-produced and co-wrote the Dan Avery album.

I'm sure I'll like this.

Erol Alkan also helped out on the Ghost Culture album. It wasnt clear from the article I read if this was formally though; it alluded to him helping with the arrangements.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

The man is a genius. It's like he assimilated all previous rock music culture, added his own twist and just spewed it out for well over a decade.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Stones' Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile and Goat's Head Soup five album run is a challegenger. All released in just under 5 years as well.

Good call. Stevie Wonder managed three in about six months in the early 70s -- Music of My Mind, Innvervisions, and Talking Book. But I'm with you all on late 60s/early 70s Stones, and 70s Bowie.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The man is a genius. It's like he assimilated all previous rock music culture, added his own twist and just spewed it out for well over a decade.

The recent exhibition at the V&A was fascinating. He was a total cultural sponge sucking in everything from painting, mime and Kabuki theatre to film and contemporary dance to influence his music and live performances. I'm amazed his head didnt explode with everyhing which was going in.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Masters of Reality, Vol. 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.
The Fall - Grotesque, Hex Education Hour, Peverted By Langauge, The Wonderful Frightening World of The Fall, This Nation's Saving Grace.
Four Tet - Dialogue, Pause, Rounds, Everything Ecstatic, There Is Love In You
Can - Soundtracks, Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi, Future Days, Soon Over Babaluma
Swans - The Great Annihilator, Soundtracks For The Blind, My Father Will Lead My Up A Rope To The Sky, The Seer, To Be Kind
Parliament - Mothership Connection, Chocolate City, The Clones of Dr. Funkenstein, Funkentelech Vs The Placebo Syndrome, Motor Booty Affair
Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey, Dry and Heavy, Man In The Hills, Social Living, Hail H.I.M.
Miles Davis - Depends on what you count as an album but take your pick from Kind of Blue ('59) through to On The Corner ('72)
Nick Cave - The Good Son, Henry's Dream, Let Love In, Murder Ballads, The Boatman's Call

Thougher than you think though Radiohead, The Beattles, PJ Harvey and Sonic Youth all (imo obviously) haven't done this.

This is fun.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
...and Sonic Youth all (imo obviously) haven't done this.

This is fun.

EVOL, Sister, Daydream Nation, Goo, Dirty

I don't count Made in USA, which came out between EVOL and Sister as it wasn't an official album, just an obscure soundtrack to some indie movie no one has ever seen (including me, and I'm practically the biggest SY fan on the planet).

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
EVOL, Sister, Daydream Nation, Goo, Dirty

I don't count Made in USA, which came out between EVOL and Sister as it wasn't an official album, just an obscure soundtrack to some indie movie no one has ever seen (including me, and I'm practically the biggest SY fan on the planet).

I'd go back to Bad Moon Rising but Goo doesn't make it for me. Nice cover, average album. NYC Ghosts and Flowers gets in the way of another otherwise excellent run. Clearly this is all opinions though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here