Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2015

Jul 7, 2003
Any one like GBK? (Gourmet burger kitchen)

Very disappointed with GBK - burgers taste frozen rather than fresh and not great value for money. Burger Brothers on North Road (only six seats there so more takeaway than restaurant) and Trolls Pantry at Hobgoblin are probably the best premium burgers in town. Forty Burgers at Craft Beer Co are also fairly decent. More competition coming this year as it is believed that Honest Burgers are looking to open up in Brighton, following the trail MeatLiquor left in coming down to the seaside.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Well that is very odd, I saw this thread surface and was going to say about "La Galleria"
It's lovely place in there and great food.
Any one like GBK? (Gourmet burger kitchen)

Haven't been to the Brighton one but have tried the one in Walton. Burger was nice enough ( although nothing to write home about ). Fries and most the sides were pretty poor. What I objected to most though was the McDonalds style service when I'm paying a premium price. I expect the staff to come to my table to take my order when I'm paying that much and for the said table and chairs to be a little more than a wooden bench and seats that wouldn't have looked out of place at a roadside picnic area. Won't be going to any of the chain again.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Haven't been to the Brighton one but have tried the one in Walton. Burger was nice enough ( although nothing to write home about ). Fries and most the sides were pretty poor. What I objected to most though was the McDonalds style service when I'm paying a premium price. I expect the staff to come to my table to take my order when I'm paying that much and for the said table and chairs to be a little more than a wooden bench and seats that wouldn't have looked out of place at a roadside picnic area. Won't be going to any of the chain again.

I found that very strange as well, ordering, paying then sitting down and waiting - still saved giving a tip

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I found that very strange as well, ordering, paying then sitting down and waiting - still saved giving a tip

And of course if you wanted anything extra during the meal .... heaven forbid maybe another beer .... you have to get up !

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing

It's true actually, the burger was just nice not excellent and very expensive. I had a plastic chair which was rather uncomfortable and sitting by the front door with the cold air blowing in didn't help. Now I come to think of it, it's just a posh Mc Donald's.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Excellent pub well worth a visit if you're in the area is The George at Burpham. Good food, very nice atmosphere and super staff.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Shepherd and Dog at Fulking for lunch yesterday. Well worth it - the lamb roast was fantastic. Only down side is having to book a table they are so popular. Ambiance was definately helped by the three waitresses that were VERY easy on the eye. 9/10.

And if Emily, the waitress that served my table, is reading this, you're more than welcome to become the next Mrs Westdene !

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Been to Breeze Brasserie on Trafalgar Street a couple of times in the last month and thought the food there was pretty good. 2 for 1 cocktails on most days till 8pm (not Saturday), not a huge menu selection, but enough variance for most people, pasta, burgers, steak etc.. Good service and decent value, and of course a stone's throw from some of the best boozers in town.

Was quiet in there a few weeks back, but pretty busy when I was in there on Friday.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Went to The Peacock near Piltdown on Saturday. Probably about ten years since I last went there. Lovely old country pub, the food was great and they poured a perfect pint of Harveys too. 8.5/10

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Me and Mrs Spider decided to try out The Urchin tonight. For those not versed, and it's definitely missed some buzz because of the hype around The Salt Room, it's the first pub owned by the people behind Small Batch Coffee. It is where The Bell used to be, in Hove (handily around a 3 minute walk from the flat), and bills itself as a craft beer and shellfish pub.

They've done it up really nicely. the Bell was an ok pub but definitely felt like it was on borrowed time. It's definitely very 'trendy' now, but it feels quite nice and it's location means it will always have to serve the locals to some extent. They have a massive list of bottled beer, all hideously overpriced, so I inevitably stuck to the draft beer - Disappointingly a fairly predictable selection of Harveys, Hophead or Long Man APA.

The menu is not just shellfish themed - it's entirely shellfish. I hope they keep it like this as it's quite nice to go somewhere which doesn't just serve burgers, fish and chips, and a few of the chefs more expensive creations. We had cockles, crab cakes, scallops and prawns. All very tasty. It's reasonably priced at the moment - around £6 for a starter and £12 for a main - plus sides. I'm sure the prices will creep up once it gets going, but seafood is so bloody expensive I think it's good value for what you get. Certainly not jaw dropping food, but a unique offering and definitely somewhere to try if, like me, The Salt Rooms prices leave you picking your jaw off the floor!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Me and Mrs Spider decided to try out The Urchin tonight. For those not versed, and it's definitely missed some buzz because of the hype around The Salt Room, it's the first pub owned by the people behind Small Batch Coffee. It is where The Bell used to be, in Hove (handily around a 3 minute walk from the flat), and bills itself as a craft beer and shellfish pub.

They've done it up really nicely. the Bell was an ok pub but definitely felt like it was on borrowed time. It's definitely very 'trendy' now, but it feels quite nice and it's location means it will always have to serve the locals to some extent. They have a massive list of bottled beer, all hideously overpriced, so I inevitably stuck to the draft beer - Disappointingly a fairly predictable selection of Harveys, Hophead or Long Man APA.

The menu is not just shellfish themed - it's entirely shellfish. I hope they keep it like this as it's quite nice to go somewhere which doesn't just serve burgers, fish and chips, and a few of the chefs more expensive creations. We had cockles, crab cakes, scallops and prawns. All very tasty. It's reasonably priced at the moment - around £6 for a starter and £12 for a main - plus sides. I'm sure the prices will creep up once it gets going, but seafood is so bloody expensive I think it's good value for what you get. Certainly not jaw dropping food, but a unique offering and definitely somewhere to try if, like me, The Salt Rooms prices leave you picking your jaw off the floor!

This will definitely be on my list to investigate. Out of interest what other draft beer do they have?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
This will definitely be on my list to investigate. Out of interest what other draft beer do they have?

From memory they have the three draught ales, which I assume will rotate, a selection of Euro fizz (Heineken, Numbers etc.), Samuel Adams, a couple of Meantimes (think it was Yakima Red and London Pale). Can't remember if they have Brewdog on tap though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wife and I went to The Plough and Harrow Littlington, near Polegate, on Monday very good food good Service and pub atmosphere. Good selection of real ales, one Long Man brewed in the village according to the landlord.

Well pleased and would reccomend people have a look at their menu on line. The one drawback is it is in the middle of nowhere.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I was there Sunday but I don't need to write another review as yours sums up my thoughts perfectly.

The draught beer was euro pop (fosters, kronenburg) plus Yakima red and pale al from meantime along with Sam Adams, dark star, Harvey's and something from Longman.

330 ml bottles were £4.95 so would work out £8 a pint so definitely not a place for a session.

The food was excellent and reasonably priced in comparison to the beer.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .

Sounds great.
What's not to like - Shellfish AND Craft Beer !!
Looks like it's just around the corner from The Foragers.
Will definitely seek this place out when I'm over in July, thanks for the heads-up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here