Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2015

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Has anyone eaten here? - tiny cafe-looking place round the corner from the Duke of Yorks at Preston Circus
http://www.mediterraneodeli.co.uk/
It's family-run and Sicilian, and despite having walked past it hundreds of times, I've only just discovered that they open as a proper restaurant on weekend evenings (and weekdays on request for large enough bookings).
Fairly unanimous excellent reviews on Tripadvisor (I know...), but would welcome any thoughts from discerning NSC gourmets (I know...)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Has anyone eaten here? - tiny cafe-looking place round the corner from the Duke of Yorks at Preston Circus
http://www.mediterraneodeli.co.uk/
It's family-run and Sicilian, and despite having walked past it hundreds of times, I've only just discovered that they open as a proper restaurant on weekend evenings (and weekdays on request for large enough bookings).
Fairly unanimous excellent reviews on Tripadvisor (I know...), but would welcome any thoughts from discerning NSC gourmets (I know...)

Not been myself but glowing reports from all I know that have.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Keeping with the Italian theme, Franco's has reopened near the King Alfred. Anyone been?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Seven blokes out on Saturday night, all dads of children in my son's class including a Birmingham fan :)

Ate in Buzby and Wilds before heading in to town for the boxing. Only had time for one course which was a shame as the starters looked like a good selection but their mains and beers are excellent. I had the pork belly with lentil stew and everything about it was perfect. Most of the others had burgers. All rated them. Good enough that I'll take Mrs GB if we find ourselves on that side of town. Nice small. simple but good range of ales and beers too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You wont be disappointed. Personally I found the restaurant part rather good. Even the rabbit at the time was splendid (and Im not a rabbit fan) i suppose it helped being by the "kitchen" so the chefs gave you the plates and the explanation directly!

The food at Set is by some considerable distance the best in Brighton: well sourced, technically brilliant and, best of all, a chef who's obviously got a great palate, so the flavour combinations are extraordinary, with a long finish, with a complex array of different elements appearing in each mouthful.
It is let down, however, by a strange spatial set-up, there is a bar which seems bigger and even a table-tennis room. I think they ought to concentrate just on the restaurant, which is also too noisy, at times we struggled to hear the fourth person who was most distant on a round table. The wine is also poor: a small selection; over-priced; not terribly good examples of their kind; and not brilliant partners to the food.‎

[MENTION=12187]Uter[/MENTION] and myself dined at The Set last night. Really enjoyed it and as you say the flavour combinations are damn good. I had the wine pairing which was fine but I'm no wine expert. The last course was sweet and paired with a very sweet sherry; I don't like sweet things and would have preferred a cheese option with a big red wine.

I also liked the vibe of the place and the enthusiasm of the staff but it's not a venue for a long quiet romantic meal. It's perfect for a chatty catch up with a mate though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
[MENTION=12187]Uter[/MENTION] and myself dined at The Set last night. Really enjoyed it and as you say the flavour combinations are damn good. I had the wine pairing which was fine but I'm no wine expert. The last course was sweet and paired with a very sweet sherry; I don't like sweet things and would have preferred a cheese option with a big red wine.

I also liked the vibe of the place and the enthusiasm of the staff but it's not a venue for a long quiet romantic meal. It's perfect for a chatty catch up with a mate though.

Glad you and [MENTION=12187]Uter[/MENTION] enjoyed it. I'm keen to go back, but need to try out Isaac's, Polpo and Fourth & Church, so they might be higher up my order of priority.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd completely forgotten about this thread - been doing a lot of eating out this month ( might as well get fat before Christmas ! ), so here goes :

Hangleton Manor - my 'local' as such ( I don't class the Grenadier as a pub ). Decent platter with ribs, onion rings, slaw, chicken wings, lamb kofta and chips. Enough for two as a decent snack with drinks. 7/10.

Giggling Squid - one of my favourite places at the moment. Loads of decent stuff on the menu - Lamb Shank was fantastic. Decently spiced without blowing your head off. Duck Red curry was very good as well - in fact all the duck dishes are very well done. Quirky restaurant layout adds to the atmosphere. 9/10

Edendum - great little Italian. Really decent steak and a very good seafood pasta. Service is typically Italian so expect it to be very friendly but make sure you allow enough time for your meal. 8/10

The Coal Shed - first time I'd been. Best steak I've ever had outside of France. Chips were crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside so just perfect. 9/10

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
One hour and 33 minutes and thats the best you could come up with ............................................

Registered since 2006 and - despite the name - still such NSC small fry...

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Registered since 2006 and - despite the name - still such NSC small fry...

It was a joke ................. you answered your own unanswered post with a quip (bit of a poor one, if I am to be honest) one and a half hours later, that was the point, it wasnt anything personal, I thought you might have acknowledge the irony.

Thank you for your timeline of membership and your self appointed status, very good, very good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here