Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton named new Albion Manager

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just spotted it! In a way, we've become one of the worst clubs in terms of managerial stability since Poyet left. Hopefully, Hughton can change that.
It's not that bad. In the time we've had Poyet, Oscar and Sami, Palace had Warnock, Paul Hart, George Burley, Dougie, Worzel, and Pulis.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Based on this and ignoring the super seagull predictable dull Norfolk comment this is my honest opinion
as a Norwich supporter of over 45 years who saw every home game and several away games of Hughton's reign.

He was a disaster for us based on not being able to make the most out of what was a very good squad which ended up
in very negative football. It was the board fault as will other managers they let it go on far too long.
He had to follow a very good act in Lambert so was always going to be judged against the very good times.

In terms of the championship he may well be a decent manager in particular to pull a club up the league using
organisation but after that it may get a bit predicable and dull.
Not sure if coffeewood is coming with him but Trollope is and we were never sure what his role was although
as mentioned he did have an I pad ( which he may well has taken with him as Holt uses a clip board !! )
which he used for the predictable and usually too late substitutions.
We now have a manager who makes exactly the same mistakes as Hughton so are no better off now.

There are not many good managers about so like us if Adams is fired there is not a great choice so maybe he
is going to do well for you.

I wish you well and am looking forward to my first trip to the amex after many trips to the goldstone and a couple to
the withdean.

I just hope as a good club you do not have to start saying what a nice man but bad manager he is as we all
did after less than a season.

These bits worry me. Sounds like you're talking about Hyypia.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Based on this and ignoring the super seagull predictable dull Norfolk comment this is my honest opinion
as a Norwich supporter of over 45 years who saw every home game and several away games of Hughton's reign.

He was a disaster for us based on not being able to make the most out of what was a very good squad which ended up
in very negative football. It was the board fault as will other managers they let it go on far too long.
He had to follow a very good act in Lambert so was always going to be judged against the very good times.

In terms of the championship he may well be a decent manager in particular to pull a club up the league using
organisation but after that it may get a bit predicable and dull.
Not sure if coffeewood is coming with him but Trollope is and we were never sure what his role was although
as mentioned he did have an I pad ( which he may well has taken with him as Holt uses a clip board !! )
which he used for the predictable and usually too late substitutions.
We now have a manager who makes exactly the same mistakes as Hughton so are no better off now.

There are not many good managers about so like us if Adams is fired there is not a great choice so maybe he
is going to do well for you.

I wish you well and am looking forward to my first trip to the amex after many trips to the goldstone and a couple to
the withdean.

I just hope as a good club you do not have to start saying what a nice man but bad manager he is as we all
did after less than a season.

Serious question, were you honestly saying he was a bad manager after less than a season? I can understand last year but he kept you up by 8 points and finished 11th in his first season. Surely, following on from such a hard act as Lambert, he did pretty well to finish mid table first season. Looking at Wikipedia, he only finished three points worst off than Lambert's Premier League season in charge and a position higher.

I would have preferred Sherwood because his appointment would have signalled the board was willing to offer the spending support to the manager of the kind Poyet was inching towards.

But Chris has a fine record at Championship level albeit with ambitious clubs. I'm not expecting anything too quickly for him because the deeper issue remains whether the board wants to just fund midtable consolidation or a promotion campaign - we have nothing but mixed messages and confusion on that question from them. But I would expect Chris to deliver us lower midtable this season around 14 or 15th which will be an acheivement given the patchy look of the squad.

derbyseagull

May 6, 2006
Derby UK
Lots of interesting comments as always. From my point of view Chris has a good record in the Championship and I think its time to get behind him and the side and see just how far we can get up that table.

We showed on Tuesday we have a decebt squad and with two or three additions in the Jan window, who knows. There is some poor sides in the league but we are not one of them. Good luck Chris, welcome to the Albion.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
We've been somewhat dependent on having some kind of supposed football genius on the touchline for the last few years, now we have a bog standard championship manager, which means no hiding behind the "pedigree" of former Chelsea, Barcelona, Liverpool greats. I enjoyed some of that. But now hopefully it can be about Brighton, now hopefully it can be about what our players can do today, not what our manager did as a player yesterday.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Hughton has a very good managerial record......the last entry on wiki on his management at his tenure at Narge is interesting..

On 6 April 2014, Norwich City announced they had "parted company" with Hughton with immediate effect. At the time of his departure Norwich were in 17th place in the Premier League, one place and five points above the relegation zone.

Seems that was the only time he really struggled but they were probably still in with a chance of survival - a good one -

The more I read about him the more I like.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Good luck CH, I for one am quite pleased with the appointment. As they say in the game he's a proper football man. My hope is that he is here for many a year, which in turn will mean he brings us success.
I prefer to bear in mind what he did at Birmingham and Newcastle. Norwich is a very odd place where they seem much happier with a "local".

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Also it might stop all this talk of us being some sort of junior Arsenal or Barcelona bollox. There is more than one way to skin a cat and besides Hughton does not play hoofball . He sets up organised teams.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Have read just about all there is to read on our new appointment, and after the depressing period of Sami's time with us, with the constant ruined weekends following so many disappointing results ( i am a fan and winning is what matters) although there were a few games when the performance deserved more than what we achieved, i am happy with this appointment and can feel my mojo returning. I had got to the stage where going to matches became something i had to do, as against my usual enthusiasm for all things Brighton, Chris Hughton is a well respected, intelligent and articulate person and is absolutely what we need to get out of the mess we find ourselves in. I would like to thank Nathan for his efforts and am pleased we have retained his services for the future. Thanks to Tony Bloom for speedily resolving the issues and getting a safe pair of hands in, the right manager at the right time in my opinion. Onwards and hopefully upwards, SEAGULLS.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11694469.Hughton_named_new_Albion_manager/

Chris Hughton is Albion’s new manager.

The former Norwich, Birmingham and Newcastle boss will be unveiled by the club this morning.

Hughton succeeds Sami Hyypia at the Amex following the Finn’s resignation three days before Christmas.

The 56-year-old Londoner’s first match in charge will be Saturday’s FA Cup third round tie at Brentford, where he played in 1992-93.

Hughton’s backroom team will include ex-Bristol Rovers manager Paul Trollope, 42, who worked with him previously at Norwich and Birmingham.

Nathan Jones, caretaker for the 2-2 draw at home to Reading on Boxing Day and Monday’s 2-0 win at Fulham, will also have a place on Hughton’s staff.

With Premier League-bound Tony Pulis unattainable, Hughton has been the stand-out candidate all along for struggling Albion’s key criteria of English football and Championship experience.

The ex-Spurs defensive stalwart survived the pressure-cooker expectations at Newcastle by winning the Championship for the North-East giants in 2009-10 with an unbeaten home record.

He also steered Birmingham to fourth two seasons later before they were narrowly beaten by Blackpool in the play-offs.

Former Republic of Ireland international Hughton has been out of work since Norwich sacked him last April, when they were 17th in the Premier League.

The Canaries, five points clear of the relegation zone at that stage, went down under his successor Neil Adams after Hughton steered them to 11th the previous year.

Hughton’s immediate priority at the Amex will be working with new player recruitment chief Paul Winstanley and chairman Tony Bloom to strengthen the squad during the January transfer window, which opens on Saturday.

CH's appointment was shirley the best bit of business done by TB & PB.

The bloke's a legend.

He quietly coaches whoever he has to work with (never whinging about injuries or transfer failings), improving the players and turning the squad into a bunch of winners.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
But what would it have been like under Pulis?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But what would it have been like under Pulis?

direct. (and i dont have a problem with that, sometime getting in thier faces and losing if better than 10 man defense... and still losing)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here