Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton named new Albion Manager

RustyTheSnowman

Apr 5, 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11694469.Hughton_named_new_Albion_manager/

Chris Hughton is Albion’s new manager.

The former Norwich, Birmingham and Newcastle boss will be unveiled by the club this morning.

Hughton succeeds Sami Hyypia at the Amex following the Finn’s resignation three days before Christmas.

The 56-year-old Londoner’s first match in charge will be Saturday’s FA Cup third round tie at Brentford, where he played in 1992-93.

Hughton’s backroom team will include ex-Bristol Rovers manager Paul Trollope, 42, who worked with him previously at Norwich and Birmingham.

Nathan Jones, caretaker for the 2-2 draw at home to Reading on Boxing Day and Monday’s 2-0 win at Fulham, will also have a place on Hughton’s staff.

With Premier League-bound Tony Pulis unattainable, Hughton has been the stand-out candidate all along for struggling Albion’s key criteria of English football and Championship experience.

The ex-Spurs defensive stalwart survived the pressure-cooker expectations at Newcastle by winning the Championship for the North-East giants in 2009-10 with an unbeaten home record.

He also steered Birmingham to fourth two seasons later before they were narrowly beaten by Blackpool in the play-offs.

Former Republic of Ireland international Hughton has been out of work since Norwich sacked him last April, when they were 17th in the Premier League.

The Canaries, five points clear of the relegation zone at that stage, went down under his successor Neil Adams after Hughton steered them to 11th the previous year.

Hughton’s immediate priority at the Amex will be working with new player recruitment chief Paul Winstanley and chairman Tony Bloom to strengthen the squad during the January transfer window, which opens on Saturday.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So the Star paper was right.

I'm absolutley delighted with this news. My mojo is firmly back :clap::clap::clap:

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I quite like the idea of Nathan concentrating on trying and the upcoming matches whilst CH focuses on the transfer window, that sits well with me plus the fact Nathan's being retained. In the current market and given the revealed recruitment parameters CH seems a very good choice.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Good luck Chris. IMO a decent appointment in the circumstances. Pulis I felt was never a realistic option. I would have liked Sherwood back in the summer, but his lack of experience would have been yet another gamble after things not working out with Sammi.

Let's be positive and give him all our support!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
As others have said I am somewhat underwhelmed by the appointment, however will be 100% behind the manager and team as ever. Glad Nathan has been kept on in some capacity after his short time as interim manager were he quickly won a lot of people over. Now for the next chapter in the ongoing story that never ends here at Brighton & Hove Albion.....

Good luck Mr Hughton.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Last time i was this underwhelmed, Hyypia was appointed. Oh well, he will have my support, we have to trust in Tony Bloom and to be fair, his track record is pretty good.

Last edited:

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Great appointment. Easily the stand out candidate. Pulis was always going to hold out for a prem club. Hughton knows the championship well and bore fest or not if he can keep us up I'll be happy

D

Deleted member 22389

I couldn't give a shit if he plays boring football, we can't have it both ways. Just get us clear of that bloody relegation zone and most importantly get some stability back at this club, because the last 4 months of football have been miserable.
Push on and let's get back in that top half again so that it matches the ambition of our stadium and training ground. Last thing I want to be seeing is the fixture list printed for League 1 with our name on it, and then losing 7-8 thousand season ticket holders.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Seems to be happening as read, Arsegas seems very confident. Would be hysterical if Naylor has got this wrong though.......

Good luck Chris!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here