Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] worthing vs burgess hill town fc 3pm today

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
And in fairness Peacehaven play decent football. Gave Maidstone a hard time in the second half and beat Margate (lead leaders and moneybags) away last week. I haven't seen a bad game there.

Fair play to them and hope they can keep it going. Really good to see our smaller teams competing at a higher level. Worry about the money/enthusiasm running out at the likes of Whitehawk and Peacehaven. Hill have banked sh1tloads out of the cup runs and Luer sale but fear that this may be a one season wonder and will all go tits up when Chappers leaves for a much higher opportunity.
(really got to go now to give some clog on the fox hunting thread - be back soon!).

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
:lolol: I like that.

I think I may have a hangover that day :)

Phew! Lance Corporal complete cvnt hasn't yet taken my bait on the other thread! Anyway, should be decent crowd (300+) v 3 Bridges. No Albion game so no excuses to not watch the 2nd best team in Sussex (crawley really don't count) on Thursday and, for BN9's benefit, it's a 3.00 ko. Have it!
(back to fox hunting thread - do keep up!).

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
How times have changed.
At one time Whitehawk were the poor relatives of the County League.
Peacehaven,Burgess Hill and even at times Saltdean and Newhaven were paying the big money.
Now the big bucks,and the big ideas are at Whitehawk.
Unfortunately as the Wealdstone Raider says "You've got no fans" and that ultimately will halt the rise up the pyramid.
Whitehawk may well be playing Conference football next season with crowds averaging less than 300.
There may be trouble ahead!

Bens Grandad.
Who did you manage/play for?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bens Grandad.
Who did you manage/play for?[/QUOTE]

Nobody of note all local amateur sides but this offer came as a result of circumstances. Dartford were struggling financially after John Still, i think it was, left them and l had recently passed the coaching exams with very high marks and also I knew Derek Hales ex Charlton who was on their selection committee. He liked my philosophy on football and invited me for an interview. This went well and they offered me the job at £80 a week plus use of a local garages car whilest employed. I was earning much more than that and had a company car and their job woukd have been too much of a commitment to have had both jobs, Peter Taylor had just finished playing and wasnt reliant on the money offered but wanted a job in football so took the job.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Current squad more or less intact from last season except Charlie Walker who went to Luton. Money is tight there but they are surviving just at this level mainly because of days and crowds like todays. Would need a major cash injection to progress any further though.

I am struggling to see where even the initial cash injection came to entice the player in the first place, it doesnt get crowds it can never be sustainable from their bar or entrance fee's and pay the wages of those players, it was I am afraid always going to happen.

I am just surprised they found £1000's up to now, they are either in big debt or they have used the goodwill of a patron that assumed they might be repaid and now wont.

The outgoing chairman ( good or bad ) was a local estate agent, he might have sanctioned the wages but I doubt he could take his earned money to be spunked on this new era.

I am not trying to be too anti, but this happens all the time, Worthing seem to be perennial rich club poor club, the only ones that have shown some sustainable growth are Bognor, Eastbourne Borough and even Lewes did for a generation or two before they succumbed to the unsustainable ambitions of their manager of the time.

Most people within the local game are good people but I assume they just get carried away with an ambitious manager and enjoy the adulation irrespective of the shortermism of it all.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Bens Grandad.
Who did you manage/play for?

Nobody of note all local amateur sides but this offer came as a result of circumstances. Dartford were struggling financially after John Still, i think it was, left them and l had recently passed the coaching exams with very high marks and also I knew Derek Hales ex Charlton who was on their selection committee. He liked my philosophy on football and invited me for an interview. This went well and they offered me the job at £80 a week plus use of a local garages car whilest employed. I was earning much more than that and had a company car and their job woukd have been too much of a commitment to have had both jobs, Peter Taylor had just finished playing and wasnt reliant on the money offered but wanted a job in football so took the job.[/QUOTE]

Dartford were still a big club at that time.I played against Derek Hales a couple of times.I think when he was at Tonbridge.His brother played as well.
Eighty quid and a car wasn't bad at that time but not a living wage.Nice as extra and untaxed,but there were players getting more than that.Especially at Maidstone,where I think Peter Taylor played for a while.Tony Towner was at Gravesend around that time as well.
Kent had some really good non league teams at that time.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Fair play to them and hope they can keep it going. Really good to see our smaller teams competing at a higher level. Worry about the money/enthusiasm running out at the likes of Whitehawk and Peacehaven. Hill have banked sh1tloads out of the cup runs and Luer sale but fear that this may be a one season wonder and will all go tits up when Chappers leaves for a much higher opportunity.
(really got to go now to give some clog on the fox hunting thread - be back soon!).
I'm not sure Chapman will leave at the first highest offer, he's probably had a few already. I think there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes regarding the future, in particular working towards the building of a new ground. This would allow the club to progress beyond the Ryman premier.
One thing is for sure, the club is being run extremely efficiently and professionally. This is far from a one season wonder.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I'm not sure Chapman will leave at the first highest offer, he's probably had a few already. I think there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes regarding the future, in particular working towards the building of a new ground. This would allow the club to progress beyond the Ryman premier.
One thing is for sure, the club is being run extremely efficiently and professionally. This is far from a one season wonder.

Hope you're right about Chapman. It does seem like a club on the up, particularly with the excellent youth set up bearing fruit. Good times!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nobody of note all local amateur sides but this offer came as a result of circumstances. Dartford were struggling financially after John Still, i think it was, left them and l had recently passed the coaching exams with very high marks and also I knew Derek Hales ex Charlton who was on their selection committee. He liked my philosophy on football and invited me for an interview. This went well and they offered me the job at £80 a week plus use of a local garages car whilest employed. I was earning much more than that and had a company car and their job woukd have been too much of a commitment to have had both jobs, Peter Taylor had just finished playing and wasnt reliant on the money offered but wanted a job in football so took the job.

Dartford were still a big club at that time.I played against Derek Hales a couple of times.I think when he was at Tonbridge.His brother played as well.
Eighty quid and a car wasn't bad at that time but not a living wage.Nice as extra and untaxed,but there were players getting more than that.Especially at Maidstone,where I think Peter Taylor played for a while.Tony Towner was at Gravesend around that time as well.
Kent had some really good non league teams at that time.[/QUOTE]

They had just got relegated and were in financial trouble. As you say it wasnt a living wage but the commitment was too much for a part time job. At the time I had a young family and didnt look to the future and what might be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here