Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFS Federici !

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Earned his pay today and no mistake. Best goalkeeping performance by a country mile since Marshall did much the same sort of thing for Cardiff at the Amex. Why always us?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Not the first time he's played like that against us as he had a stormer when we played Reading towards the end of the first season at the Amex.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Federici was considerably better than Marshall, and easily the best 'keeper performance I've seen for a long time.

v Cardiff we spent 90 mins hoofing the ball straight at Marshall.
Fed made a string of top quality saves in horrendous goalkeeping conditions.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
He played well but personally none of the saves were other than routine. 1st half saved a his hear post but beaten by 2 efforts. 1 a great one off the post.
Second halfs good saves from CMS, holla ( great effort but travelled a long way) CMS again although he was off side and Bennett but that ended up straight at him. Eventually beaten by Calderon. Very good performance none the less

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Federici was considerably better than Marshall, and easily the best 'keeper performance I've seen for a long time.

v Cardiff we spent 90 mins hoofing the ball straight at Marshall.
Fed made a string of top quality saves in horrendous goalkeeping conditions.

Nonsense IMO.

Federica was very good today, but Marshall was incredible. Federica didn't hold a single shot all game and was pretty fortunate that the rebounds fell to his team (the low shot from Bennett in particular). A couple of very good saves though. The one from March was excellent, and the one from CMS, that was offside, even better.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nonsense IMO.

Federica was very good today, but Marshall was incredible. Federica didn't hold a single shot all game and was pretty fortunate that the rebounds fell to his team (the low shot from Bennett in particular). A couple of very good saves though. The one from March was excellent, and the one from CMS, that was offside, even better.
Today wasn't a day for holding the ball.

Marshall certainly wasn't incredible.
He had an awful lot to do, and he did it all well without a single mistake, not a confidence we can have in our own keeper.
Had Stockdale let just one of our chances in, we'd have still be happy with his game.
I'm certainly not belittling his performance that night, but at no point did Marshall have to even stretch for anything.

Today's conditions were a goalkeepers worst nightmare, not to mention having nothing to do for 40 minutes.
Yet when called upon Fed got something on the ball.
Those you've mentioned, Holla's blast, a couple of nasty shots bouncing right in front of him.
(Did I imagine a tip over as well?)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm with Martin Tylor. Nothing spectacular about his performance, not the sort worth starting a thread to drawl over. Decent, but not really tested with the sort of shots that require top draw saves.

Genuinely surprised to see such a thread. It wasn't that sort of performance.

Last edited:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Federici had a superb game but Marshall produced the best goalkeeping performance I've seen for years.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thought Federici had a good game, made some good saves- but nothing that you wouldn't hope your keeper would save. He did his job, and did it well. That's it for me.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
He played well but personally none of the saves were other than routine. 1st half saved a his hear post but beaten by 2 efforts. 1 a great one off the post.
Second halfs good saves from CMS, holla ( great effort but travelled a long way) CMS again although he was off side and Bennett but that ended up straight at him. Eventually beaten by Calderon. Very good performance none the less

This. Made all the saves he could, but were all well within his reach, no fingertips needed.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Made a couple of good saves but that was it, worst overall performance by a keeper all season 90% of his kicking would have looked at home in the county league.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This. Made all the saves he could, but were all well within his reach, no fingertips needed.

The one he tipped over the bar was definitely fingertips. Maybe it was the angle you viewed it from, but from the north stand he had to reach to tip it.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He definitely kept well but I felt most of the shots he saved were expected saves for most decent goalkeepers, he's definitely a good keeper but that performance had nothing on Marshall's IMO. He was insane that day.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
The one he tipped over the bar was definitely fingertips. Maybe it was the angle you viewed it from, but from the north stand he had to reach to tip it.

The shot from Joe Bennett? A good save yes, but straight at him. How many goals do you see scored when a player from the edge of the box shoots directly over the keepers head at pace? Hardly any unless the keeper is too far off his line and it dips over him.

Not slagging him off as he clearly did what he had to, just don't think any of the saves he made, though they looked spectacular were anything other than what would be expected from any goalkeeper at this level.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The shot from Joe Bennett? A good save yes, but straight at him. How many goals do you see scored when a player from the edge of the box shoots directly over the keepers head at pace? Hardly any unless the keeper is too far off his line and it dips over him.

Not slagging him off as he clearly did what he had to, just don't think any of the saves he made, though they looked spectacular were anything other than what would be expected from any goalkeeper at this level.

I'm not disputing any of that. I was just pointing out that save was fingertips. If he hadn't tipped it over, it would have gone in under the bar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here