Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burke on his way out? Update: Gone

Dec 29, 2011
Feel better now. More pleased about this than Hyypia going.

My best guess is was that Sami Hyypia (remember him) was over-ruled on the signings. Hinted that the personalities of the players were not looked into. These things do not figure in the stats. Stats indicate technique: something that can be learned. Intuition must play a part but the judgement/perception has to be right. It is quite a common problem in management in creative industries. And in politics e.g. Gordon Brown.

Onwards and upwards.
Completely wrong, players were hired on their personalities. Holla and stockdale both said to be lovely blokes, also Hughes. It was said in the summer we were trying to build a squad with a good honest group of players.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Slightly different, there was no FFP when Pompey were spunking money all over the place and also they were spending money they didnt have. Bloom on the other hand does have the moolah as has been proven by the £200million+ he's already invested in the Albion. There is absoulutely no comparison to be made imo.
This board has been awash in speculation for months that Bloom's pockets aren't as deep as people think they are, imminent prospect of the club changing hands, etc. etc.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Burke wasn't sacked before Tony went to Australia. So it's a recent decision, possibly prompted by the new managerial appointment.

So, Pulis or Sherwood I guess.

Then again maybe Burke was part of the reason why Sami threw in the towel and Mr Bloom wasn't happy with Burke over it?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Ok maybe I worded it a bit too strongly. But my point is to get a fully proven goalscoring forward 6ft + you are going to have to part with a lot more than 500k or whatever we paid for COG.

To me the fault for our current situation goes Hypia > Reduced Budget/Sales of top players > Burke failing to build a squad/replace departing players within that budget. Doesn't absolve Burke of blame as ultimately he failed to do his job, but I'm not sure how easy a job it was in the first place - and previous years show he was capable of helping to give us a decent squad.

Previous years, Burke had Gus driving recruitment. Recruitment got worse as soon as Gus departed.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Previous years, Burke had Gus driving recruitment. Recruitment got worse as soon as Gus departed.

Do you know that?

daveyboy1973

Feb 5, 2010
bexleyheath
Why, just out of interest? I am yet to see a convincing case re Sherwood, but I am all ears

By all accounts a great coach/ man manager... Works well with young talent and surely must have loads of connections, also we need someone strong to get the best out of what we've got to pull us away from danger!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Please let it be Pulis. IMHO he offers by far the best chance of getting out of the mess left by Sami and, to a lesser extent, Burke...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Completely wrong, players were hired on their personalities. Holla and stockdale both said to be lovely blokes, also Hughes. It was said in the summer we were trying to build a squad with a good honest group of players.

We will never know for sure. Management is a team game though. I though Hyypia was the right personality as Manager. Just not impressed by the rest of the team; tactics and recruitment.

PS: And team selection, which was down to Hyypia.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Great news. Now get Pulis in. I previously would have thought he would wait for a better job but the more I think about it, it could be a fit. If we give him control over transfers and basically space to be the manager he is better than ANYONE else being mentioned at the moment and that includes that prat Sherwood. He was manager of the year last year and the chance to do something new and build up a club from the start is something he seems to be up for a bit like Stoke. He also didn't play bad football at Palace (he played with 2 wingers!) and walked out on them so that's a good start in my book.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Got to be favourite now? I have an open mind. I prefer him to Pulis and Hughton.

Sherwood could not get the formulae right at Spurs. Chopped and changed a bit and could outwitted by Premier League managers of vast experience and better players. I think Spurs loss would be Albion's gain if it occurs. I don't rate the style of their current Manager, the heavy pressing game tires the players too much. Same applies to Rosler.

I think McDermott is too old.

All about opinions. I would prefer the other 4 you mentioned to Sherwood.

McDermott is only 53 (younger than Pullis and Hughton.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Bollox has it! You dont invest over £200 million into something if you havent got significantly more than that in reserve.
Exactly. A load of rubbish has been posted. Bloom is worth a huge amount of money. His investment in the club is small fry compared to his other interests.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here