Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would it take for you to be on Hyypia's side?

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
Isn't it possible that both Hyypia and Burke haven't done good jobs? Burke hasn't given him the best tools, and Hyypia hasn't done the best with what he had?

Or maybe its the fact that Bloom hasn't given Burke or Hyypie the budget to sign the quality needed after a fire sale of our best players, maybe we hit the ceiling financially!!!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Having lost only Bridcutt and Barnes, a far cry from the loss Hyppia has suffered!

Only, missed the injuries he had to deal with then (which granted Hyypia has had as well)? And most of the players that have come in since Hyypia came in have top flight experience in their respective leagues, he just seems incapable of getting anything out of them.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Or maybe its the fact that Bloom hasn't given Burke or Hyypie the budget to sign the quality needed after a fire sale of our best players, maybe we hit the ceiling financially!!!

I certainly wouldn't disagree with that. But even within those constraints, when you look around the Championship and who paid what for who over the summer, we still could have done better. In another thread I gave the example of Lee Gregory (Millwall, £250k from Halifax, four goals as an occasional starter) and O'Grady (Brighton, £500k from Barnsley, no goals and never likely to score). And that's just one example.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Hyypia was appointed on 6th June 2014. Since then we have signed Hughes, O'Grady, Stockdale, Holla, McCourt, Colunga, Baldock, Bennett, Al Habsi, Bennett, Gardner, Bent, Halford and Teixeira.

All in bold above were signed to fill the squad out, Panic signings if you want to call them that.

I very much doubt any of the permanent signings were Hyypia's choice, he has already stated he is in a better position to know who he needs and in what positions.

We haven't had a permanent left back since Painter, i suppose that's Hyppia's fault as well is it?

The answers are with one person and one person only but unfortunately we all know he is untouchable due to the good he has done for the infrastructure of the club (Which is the only way he can invest and get his money back at the end of the day!)

Look at the players we have sold and then list next to them who we have replaced them with and tell me if there adequate replacements? if you can convince me i will join the Sami out brigade.

until then i am still siding with Sami and blaming the village idiot who did NOT invest the sale of players back into the team adequately!

The argument is not about whether these players are better than what we had before, I think we can all agree that many of them are not. However, most are certainly good enough to get this team to a comfortable mid table position.

Sami has overseen 14 player signings and has said he is happy with the way our transfers work. If he has then failed to secure the type of player he wants, then he is culpable as much as Burke.

Did he come in to the club and think we need a midfield enforcer? Well it appears not as he chooses not to play one.

Did he ask for a big centre forward to hold the ball up? Again no, as given the chance he signed Bent, a classic last shoulder striker. After signing Baldock who is the same and already having CMS who is also the same.

Did he ask for attacking full backs? Yes, clearly and he has been provided with that. Bennett has a good pedigree at this level, as do Bruno and Calderon.

New Goalkeeper? Ok, Stockdale has been poor, but he has Premier League experience.

I could go on, but to me it appears that Sami does not know what he wants or more pertinently, needs, to create a winning side. He has signed off on these players, if Burke came to you and said we are going to sign Baldock 5'7" and Colunga 5'8" would you say no thanks to one? I think we all would, Sami either chose not to, or is not a strong enough character to say no to Burke, whichever of these is true, marks Sami out to be a poor football manager, imo.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely nothing!!! He had my loyalty when appointed and still has it.

The majority of the starting line up from last season were sold without hesitation and the CLUB has not bought adequate replacements.

You can send a monkey to space but it CANNOT fly the rocket!

I will continue to back Sami 100%.

The crowd reaction to him against Millwall sickened me and was an absolute disgrace, this club has been through some tough times, in fact times that the present situation could not possibly compare to yet the mob are out to get their scapegoat.

Yes he persist's with JFC which has to be questioned but apart from that i cannot have any reason to fault him, he doesn't need to skid along on his knees every time we score, he doesn't need to pump his fists every time Stockdale pulls off a save. He is his own man and i find his calm persona quiet refreshing for a manager.

A manager will not get a team relegated BUT a team will and that team has been constructed before Hyypia has had the chance to add his men to it.

Give the guy a break back the team and enjoy the ride, football is a funny old game with ups and downs and as a club we have had many and this is just another one.

This is just so wrong in that it ignores all of Sami's many tactical and motivational faults. Why do you think players who have played well previously are playing so badly now?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, I can see your question, but I don't think he can perform miracles - he has been left with no quality.....by the way, he left Germany with a terrible record in his last 10 games - he did seem a rather odd choice.

Unless this Board become ambitious once more, the manager here will be in trouble whoever we choose next. Yet no doubt the Board will remain as it is.

Again, whilst I agree the standard of the squad has declined. It is mid-table at worst. Sami has managed to turn it into a relegation certainty.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
It is a rather sweeping statement to say no fans still support him but that is part of the whole bandwagon that is now rolling. The level of vitriol is now reaching a level beyond considered debate.

I agree that it is probably time for SH to move on but, unlike many, I don't feel the need to abuse a guy who is trying his best.

If he's trying his best it only goes to prove what a truly awful manager he is.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Err he was the man who got us there in the first place?! The reason he left is because he wasn't being given the budget he knew he'd need to continue being competitive. It's the boards antics towards Poyet and the ludicrous fire-sale that have cost us dear - not the best Brighton manager of recent times,

He was sacked for gross misconduct. Just saying. Other than that, you are spot on.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Hyypia was appointed on 6th June 2014. Since then we have signed Hughes, O'Grady, Stockdale, Holla, McCourt, Colunga, Baldock, Bennett, Al Habsi, Bennett, Gardner, Bent, Halford and Teixeira.

All in bold above were signed to fill the squad out, Panic signings if you want to call them that.

I very much doubt any of the permanent signings were Hyypia's choice, he has already stated he is in a better position to know who he needs and in what positions.

We haven't had a permanent left back since Painter, i suppose that's Hyppia's fault as well is it?

The answers are with one person and one person only but unfortunately we all know he is untouchable due to the good he has done for the infrastructure of the club (Which is the only way he can invest and get his money back at the end of the day!)

Look at the players we have sold and then list next to them who we have replaced them with and tell me if there adequate replacements? if you can convince me i will join the Sami out brigade.

until then i am still siding with Sami and blaming the village idiot who did NOT invest the sale of players back into the team adequately!

If you cannot see Sami's tactical and motivational faults, then your opinion is worthless. Nobody has denied the squad's quality has declined, but it is not bottom 3; that is Sami's doing.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Isn't it possible that both Hyypia and Burke haven't done good jobs? Burke hasn't given him the best tools, and Hyypia hasn't done the best with what he had?

Spot on. That's EXACTLY what's happened. P45 for BOTH.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Have you heard of FFP or just plain good old financial prudence?

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
If you cannot see Sami's tactical and motivational faults, then your opinion is worthless. Nobody has denied the squad's quality has declined, but it is not bottom 3; that is Sami's doing.

B.W.

It is just a matter of opinion, no-one's view is 'worthless'!

This squad is a bottom 3 squad imho, shorn of all quality, I can't see where the goals will come from looking ahead, and once Bent's loan is up...?

Has Hypia been brought in as a 'Fall Guy' to cover the Board's ass is the question (his record was awful in Germany)?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

If you believe that, then you must believe that Tony Bloom is lying when he says this squad is as expensive as any previously.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
If you believe that, then you must believe that Tony Bloom is lying when he says this squad is as expensive as any previously.

If it is, then the club is in a DIRE situation?

To me it looks like they embarked on a major cost cutting exercise, but seriously overdone it at the expense of the team.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
B.W.

It is just a matter of opinion, no-one's view is 'worthless'!

This squad is a bottom 3 squad imho, shorn of all quality, I can't see where the goals will come from looking ahead, and once Bent's loan is up...?

Has Hypia been brought in as a 'Fall Guy' to cover the Board's ass is the question (his record was awful in Germany)?

Seriously, look at our squad. There is still plenty of quality to get us to mid-table. I just wish Tony would pull the trigger, appoint someone with experience like BMcD, and let's see where we end up. It wouldn't be bottom 3, I assure you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here