Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Harveys just a tad over-rated??

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I went up the Black Horse on Saturday, Lord B. They've got about 8 ales on the go....didn't try them all but had a few nice ones

Sounds like a challenge :drink: I haven't been in the Black Horse, 8 ales sounds great but what is the pub like?

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Would rather have Harvey's at the Amex than god forbidden the rubbish that is " Doombar " !!!
Do like the Longman beers quite a lot ........

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
No. It's very much a bad thing. If you want your Ale to taste good without all this 'looking after it' rubbish, you put it in a keg. If Harveys could supply their Ale in kegs to the Amex it would taste consistent (obviously they'd need 21st century techniques & know how to make it taste nice but they do it at Firle). This is why progressive Brewers such as Meantime & Brewdog use kegs (key kegs a lot of the time).

We are all different. To me the 'looking after it' rubbish is what gives the beer its life.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We are all different. To me the 'looking after it' rubbish is what gives the beer its life.

Yes but you need someone who cares and knows what they're doing to produce a decent pint at the place of purchase. Instead, you could do your secondary fermentation in the brewery if you were to embrace the technology but each to their own. In the end we all like what we like, these debates tend not to compare like with like. Aston Martin DB6 or Audi R8?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Sounds like a challenge :drink: I haven't been in the Black Horse, 8 ales sounds great but what is the pub like?

It was bloody good mate. New landlord, Dec has made a good go of it. They sell lots of different flavours of pork scratchings too....the Mexican chilli ones nigh on blew my balls off !!!!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Harveys in my eyes is a very decent best bitter. If kept and served well is a delight but doesn't take kindly to being moved about immediately prior to serving. This is why the pints in the 1901 and in the mobile units are incomparable.

If it isn't kept well, it is an utter abomination

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Harvey's does seem to deteriorate the further from Lewes you get. A pint of it in Worthing is ok, but a pint of it in Tonbridge is utter gash.

What I find IS overrated, and I will get flamed for this I'm sure, is Dark Star. Obsessed with over hopping their beers, and seemingly spending as much time arsing about with promotional goodies to sell than creating good beer. Plus selling the Welly, IMO, was a mistake.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Arh Longman, is the correct answer. Harvey's is quality but it is very hit or miss, had a skin full last Friday at the White Hart Arundel, which is thankfully a Harvey's pub. All about personal taste.How anyone can drink Seafarers is beyond me,it's what I would imagine a bucket of piss mixed with roasted conkers would taste like.

like QUOTE=s5.bha;6712963]Would rather have Harvey's at the Amex than god forbidden the rubbish that is " Doombar " !!!
Do like the Longman beers quite a lot ........[/QUOTE]

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Like Harvey's but you Sussex boys don't get anywhere near as good a choice as those of us up on the Ox-Berks-Bucks borders. I raise you any number of ales from, the Marlow Brewery...

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I imagine the fact we're in the age of the microbrewery means there's so many more better beers...if you'd asked 10 years ago people wouldn't br calling it overrated

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It was bloody good mate. New landlord, Dec has made a good go of it. They sell lots of different flavours of pork scratchings too....the Mexican chilli ones nigh on blew my balls off !!!!

I will give it a try.

I am a fan of pork scratchings but I will be avoiding the chilli flavour :eek:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think for an "arena" ale Harvey's do a good job. It is a million miles better than the usual alternatives. It's a very acceptable pint sold in less than ideal conditions and it is because of the latter I would rather not have one of my personal favourites on sale at the Amex. That aside I love London Pride, Deuchars or any number of Greene King products but no good beer travels well does it?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I really like Harveys but agree it is not good at the Amex. The John Seldon does a nice pint of Harveys, kept at the right temperature instead of being too cold like Lager. Had a nice pint of Timothy Taylors in Shoreham. Tetleys from the Leeds brewery is nice, the Warrington brewery is not good, but it does not seem to travel well. Abbott is nice and so is Ridleys Old Bob, i used to drink Bob and Abbott but found my upper torso was fine after a few, but my legs did not work so well.
When working around the country i used to try the local ales, Felinfoel in SW Wales was putrid, as was Brickwoods.
I had a half of Cripple near Mansfield, very strong, only sold it in half's at the time.
Harveys is good if kept right.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I found drinking Harveys got me into no end of trouble in the first couple of seasons :wrong:

However since going on the Guinness I find I'm far more chilled:drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here