Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Update on Proposed Hotel Development by TCSL at Falmer

The Policy and Resources Committee of B&HCC agreed at its meeting yesterday to complete a leasehold agreement with TSCL (The Community Stadium Ltd) for the land adjacent to the Amex Community Stadium on which TSCL proposes to build a 150 bedroom medium size hotel.

Here are the links to the meeting agenda and addendum (it's item 107) for other saddo's who want to crawl over the detail. The sentence on construction viability in paragraph 6.6 seems interesting - maybe 4-5 pages over the next week?

http://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/Published/C00000689/M00005564/$$$Agenda.doc.pdf

http://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/Published/C00000689/M00005564/$$Supp17561dDocPackPublic.pdf

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
interesting, I can see lots of bookings for this, out of town, L1 ready all good stuff. Hopefully the brasserie can be called "La Gaviota"....

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
interesting, I can see lots of bookings for this, out of town, L1 ready all good stuff. Hopefully the brasserie can be called "La Gaviota"....
I've stayed in a similarly located hotel loads due to work over the last couple of years - it was 4-5 miles from nearest town but good transport links. The place was always fully booked out during the week with conferences and training courses; I always had to book my room at least a week in advance. And they had weddings at the weekends all through the summer months.

This place didn't have the additional attraction of being right next to a university and football stadium either. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't a money maker.

It's interesting that the report does not envisage a four-star hotel at Falmer offering much competition with the hotels in the rest of the City. I guess this means that there is an element of speculative development about this proposal. We can only keep our fingers crossed.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I've stayed in a similarly located hotel loads due to work over the last couple of years - it was 4-5 miles from nearest town but good transport links. The place was always fully booked out during the week with conferences and training courses; I always had to book my room at least a week in advance. And they had weddings at the weekends all through the summer months.

This place didn't have the additional attraction of being right next to a university and football stadium either. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't a money maker.

Fair enough I get the training courses events weddings etc but if I was coming to Brighton for the weekend I wouldn't want to be so far out of town. Not sure it being next to a uni and football ground is usp? Seems to go with the current territory that investment off the pitch and alternative revenue streams are more important than investment on the pitch strange old times for the Albion....

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
On the bund next to Bennett's field and the train line where they were going to put educational space before the funding dropped out.

I'm pleased it won't conceal the long-awaited new Albion sign on the East Stand wall - trying to work out what that badly-designed nonsense says after dark is providing locals and passers-by with hours of amusement.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Think Reading have one don't they?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Fair enough I get the training courses events weddings etc but if I was coming to Brighton for the weekend I wouldn't want to be so far out of town. Not sure it being next to a uni and football ground is usp? Seems to go with the current territory that investment off the pitch and alternative revenue streams are more important than investment on the pitch strange old times for the Albion....

Yes because despite all the ludicrous vitriolic bile spouted on here over the last three weeks or so he is trying to safeguard the long term financial stability of this club.

With a hotel under 10m train ride from the city centre I think it's a great idea.

Can also envisage occasions where as an Albion fan in exile I might take advantage of if for midweek games.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Its right next to a train station and has also has a frequent 24 hour bus service. It will also have the draw of cheap/free parking, so you can just leave your car and hop on the train, more convenient if anything as Brighton is getting more and more of an arse to drive around. Thats one of the main draws of it anyway.

IF a deal could be struck with Southern/B&H Buses to allow some sort of free travel (be it 1 return trip or unlimited) between Falmer and Brighton then it would be a massive draw.

Kikikaikai

Charlatan?
May 20, 2014
Brighton
I doubt very much it will be another 4 start hotel given it's location, facilities proposed and capacity. More likely we will see a big name chain construct a 3 star property. Hotel companies have been sniffing around and various meetings have taken place. If the application is approved then we should probably expect to see a Holiday Inn, Hampton by Hilton, Courtyard by Marriott type hotel

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here