Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oasis. Are they "all that"?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
There was a period of about a year when Liam could actually sing. His voice was truly awful in later years.
The first two albums and the b-sides to their singles at that time were great.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They were of their time. The first album was brilliant when it came out, and the second was also very good. After that, dad rock at best.

If they reformed, they would indeed sell out instantly, but it would never be the same as it was in the mid nineties. They have not dated well.

Totally agree with this. For a brief period they were untouchable and embodied a lot of what Britain was about and knocked out quality tune after quality tune. Then they released Be Here Now.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Everything has its time.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And we all know Damon is better :wink:

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
slightly overated, but you have to give credit to them that 20 years on you can play Wonderwall (and a few other songs) and everyone, even people that weren't born when it came out, will recognise it and maybe even sing along...

Hugo Rune

Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A good band certainly but are they one of the greats? Time will tell. It will be interesting to see how many good bands cite them as an influence. Most great bands need at least one musical genius, I'm not sure if Oasis contain any? However, hats off to Noel, he's always admitted he copied a number of riffs from bands such as the Kinks and Beatles.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Just wondering. There is no doubt that Noel wrote some cracking tunes (Champagne Supernova blew me away the first time I heard it) but I never feel the need to revisit the albums. I'm never compelled to slam Be Here Now into my car deck as I played the singles to death first time round.
Therefore, please may I ask you learned folk? Are Oasis actually, "all that"?

Well i feel the same in some ways, their music has died a bit. Great when you hear a classic from the definetly maybe album... Good memories.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Never a fan to be honest, always sounded to me like a piece of software had outputed the best of the Beatles, T-Rex and Slade.

However, credit where credit is due.

Cigarettes and Alcohol is in my opinion a British Pop Rock Classic up there with anything short young and angry by the Who, Beatles or Stones. Yes of course the others wrote so much more - but I think that at least stands up to Help, My Generation and I can't get no Satisfaction. It will be played for years.

You've got to give 'em that one.

My personal favourite (well to be honest I don't know many of their tracks) is Cast No Shadow, but it's hardly classic. I just like the lyrics.

Last edited:

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
At the time they were massive and rightly so in my opinion. Definitely Maybe and What's the Story are both FANTASTIC albums, I listen to them often. Saw them live 3 times and sadly the last time (at Wembley with Kasabian supporting) it was clear the magic had gone. Be here now and standing on the shoulders of Giants were huge disappointments although I think they redeemed themselves slightly with Heathern Chemistry, I really like that one, and obviously the b side album The Masterplan is up there with the first two. Like others have said, the fact that kids today will sing along to tracks that were released before they were even born tells me that yes, they were all that!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Saw em at the East Wing 600, a few in between, then they did 2 x 125k at Knebworth you can't cause that much traffic cross without having something

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
When I went to see Darius Rucker in concert last month, he did a brilliant cover of 'Champagne Supernova' as part of his encore - it's amazing how much better it sounded (and I quite like the original) when sung by someone with a genuinely good singing voice.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It goes without saying, that the title should be 'WERE they all that?'

If so, yes, yes they were. For a short time, they were magnificent.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Eight UK number one singles, spanning a ten year period, would suggest this statement is not entirely accurate.

I'd say it's entirely accurate. Just because they retained a large part of the fan base, built up when they WERE great, doesn't mean their music was still as good.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
[yt]t_QtBPldWCo[/yt]
[yt]tFP60pNHdUM[/yt]
[yt]qRCwmFsJ-m4[/yt]
[yt]Jfpe7P6OWP4[/yt]
[yt]315gGpYze8I[/yt]
[yt]NGHDHV0aukY[/yt]
[yt]QB0B93FLS-M[/yt]
[yt]xZHkqc2ltt8[/yt]