Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oasis. Are they "all that"?

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Just wondering. There is no doubt that Noel wrote some cracking tunes (Champagne Supernova blew me away the first time I heard it) but I never feel the need to revisit the albums. I'm never compelled to slam Be Here Now into my car deck as I played the singles to death first time round.
Therefore, please may I ask you learned folk? Are Oasis actually, "all that"?

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Just wondering. There is no doubt that Noel wrote some cracking tunes (Champagne Supernova blew me away the first time I heard it) but I never feel the need to revisit the albums. I'm never compelled to slam Be Here Now into my car deck as I played the singles to death first time round.

(What's the story) morning glory is a masterpiece IMO. Every song could be a hit.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL

I think their first two albums are absolutely superb. If they reunited even for a one off show tickets would go instantly. I think they are.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Very, very, very over-rated in my opinion.

Some good tracks as you rightly say, but no more than that.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes, yes they are all that.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
That balding middle aged looking rhythm guitar player (Boneman? :shrug:) had the best gig,

made a fortune from playing 3 or 4 bar chords for the whole of his tenure.

Easy money. :shit:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
They were of their time. The first album was brilliant when it came out, and the second was also very good. After that, dad rock at best.

If they reformed, they would indeed sell out instantly, but it would never be the same as it was in the mid nineties. They have not dated well.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
It depends what 'that' is.

If it's success in terms of records sales, then yes, they are all that.

If it's sustained popularity, when many of their contemporaries had reached the levels of obscurity with which an appearance on the Never mind the Buzzcocks identity parade would have prompt a bemused "huh", then yes, they are all that.

If it's that even now, 20 years after the release of What's the story morning glory, you can start an impromptu singalong of 'She's electric' with total strangers, whose ages range from 15-55, whilst waiting for a cab in Castle Square at 3am, then yes, they are all that.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Very, very, very over-rated in my opinion.

Some good tracks as you rightly say, but no more than that.
Exactly this - 'Slide Away' and 'Some Might Say' are pretty classy imo but the rest is fairly humdrum.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
They were of their time. The first album was brilliant when it came out, and the second was also very good. After that, dad rock at best.

If they reformed, they would indeed sell out instantly, but it would never be the same as it was in the mid nineties. They have not dated well.

Disagree with that. I listen to the first 2 Albums regularly in the car. Definitely Maybe is a great Album with some superb tracks and morning glory also. I was lucky enough to see them at the old Wembley in 99. When they did cigarettes and alcohol after playing an extended intro to it it was awesome. I've never experienced a crowd reaction like it before or ever since.
Dad rock my arse.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
If it's that even now, 20 years after the release of What's the story morning glory, you can start an impromptu singalong of 'She's electric' with total strangers, whose ages range from 15-55, whilst waiting for a cab in Castle Square at 3am, then yes, they are all that.

One of those strangers was Damon Albarn ???

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
As good as any other band in the last 25 years if not better

Couldn't quite believe it.

You actually put words in the correct order that make sense. Well done!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes. When Liam sang Wonderwall at the Olympics closing ceremony, you could see all the athletes from all over the world singing along, even though it was 17 years since it was first released at that time.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Good to start with but became a bit meat-and-potatoes IMHO. Basically the same idea stretched to breaking point.

I'm no particular fan of U2, and certainly not the massively overrated Albarn, but to give both their credit they at least try different things as their careers progress. Or at least they have done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here