Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Siege in central Sydney

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6708785 said:
I don't get why they don't snipe him through the window?

a few reasons i would guess

what happens if they miss he has a gun a wounded man could take a few people out still, they also do not know if he is alone 100% he also was seen with a back pack it could even be a bomb or something.

All the time he isn't actually killing people they cannot take the risk, remember this isn't the movies.

A bullet heading directly at its target but needing to go through glass first will almost certainly deviate, they would need to have 2 shooters, one fires almost immediately after the first and hopes the falling glass (if it shatters) doesn't deflect that shot.

Highly risky.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I dont see a negotiated settlement, it would seem a little bit pointless for him to me.

If as we suspect he is willing to die, he would have no concern for those with him, so a sniper attack is a likely conclusion, but the consequences of it are too extreme not to initially use every avenue of communication and negotiation hoping beyond hope that he changes his mind.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

We have only seen one image of him through a window, so I doubt he is fixed to that spot waiting to get shot. And if they missed it he could kill all the hostages whether he has a bomb or not.

The ATF will be able to storm the building at seconds notice if any of the hostages are in immediate danger, so it is best for all concerned that there is a peaceful outcome.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Instead of the usual anti-Islam stuff you get after incidents like this, Australians have gone a different route after a Twitter hashtag #IllRideWithYou started trending to make Muslims in the country feel safer when travelling. You wouldnt really expect much else from the Aussies.

Incredible solidarity.

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...o-sydneys-muslims-after-cafe-siege?CMP=twt_gu

I was reading that earlier, fair play to them. Very easy to spout the usual garbage you hear after this sort of event, it's nice to see some brain cells being warmed up instead.

Reminded to the video someone linked in another thread a while back showing a 'social experiment' (guy acting like an utter arse, surprised to get thumped) going wrong in, I think, Australia.

Regardless, I can't imagine what it must feel like in that cafe (or to have someone you know in there) right now and I don't think I'd ever want to. Hopefully a peaceful resolution will come of it but it does seem a little unlikely.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Instead of the usual anti-Islam stuff you get after incidents like this, Australians have gone a different route after a Twitter hashtag #IllRideWithYou started trending to make Muslims in the country feel safer when travelling. You wouldnt really expect much else from the Aussies.

Incredible solidarity.

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...o-sydneys-muslims-after-cafe-siege?CMP=twt_gu

I found this incredibly odd when I lived in Sydney. On one hand (some) Aussies are openly racist or casually racist (soccer being known as Wogball) but on the other there's a spirit of "mateship" and the fact that they're all really immigrants that makes them forgiving and very keen to treat a person as a person. There's little political correctness but if you're a Jeremy Hunt they'll call you one irrespective of colour and the same if you're a great guy.

I still have many friends in Sydney. All are safe having checked their FBs - but I'm sure due to six degrees of separation they will know someone involved. I am just hoping this ends peacefully. Note hoping, not praying. Praying's the problem IMO.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Man Haron Monis, the man named as the alleged hostage-taker, is a 49-year-old self-styled “Muslim cleric and peace activist”, my colleague Michael Safi reports.

Iranian-born Monis told ABC News in 2001 that he fled to Australia five years earlier after falling foul of the Iranian regime, which had placed his wife and children under house arrest. “I can say they are hostage,” he said at the time.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Police think it's part of an on-going turf war between cafes in the area. The gunman was heard to shout "Alan's Snackbar!" before storming the place with guns.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Man Haron Monis, the man named as the alleged hostage-taker, is a 49-year-old self-styled “Muslim cleric and peace activist”, my colleague Michael Safi reports.

Iranian-born Monis told ABC News in 2001 that he fled to Australia five years earlier after falling foul of the Iranian regime, which had placed his wife and children under house arrest. “I can say they are hostage,” he said at the time.

you forgot this

Mr Monis, who styles himself as a Muslim cleric, is currently on bail for being an accessory to the murder of his former wife and is facing more than 40 sexual and indecent assault charges.
He has also been convicted of sending offensive letters to the families of deceased Australian soldiers.

sounds like a right feckin ****....

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
They've gone in

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's a dumb thing to say and the equivalent of tarring all atheists with the same brush as the multitude of rapists, burglars, muggers and so on who you can bet your arse wouldn't step into any form of religious building of their own free will, unless they were there to nick the lead or gold.
I agree that you can't blame Islam itself, for the behaviour of terrorists who use their religion as justification, just as Christianity itself is not to blame for the murderous crusades, but you can't compare it to atheists who commit crime, as when they do so they don't try to use atheism as justification for their actions, and they don't try and radicalise other atheists.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Police think it's part of an on-going turf war between cafes in the area. The gunman was heard to shout "Alan's Snackbar!" before storming the place with guns.
That has just made us all laugh here at work........great effort.... On an otherwise gloomy day all round.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's not what I'd have expected and it's refreshing to see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here