Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we ever know what went wrong?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yes and it's all going so well isn't it ?
The club is bigger than his ego and how we're doing has got nothing to do with it.
You like many on here are really not getting it and you can't grasp the fact that when poyet was here we as a club was on the crest of a wave and was always going to have a great 2-3 years when moving to the amex.

People on here really need to get a grip and realise this instead of thinking it's all thanks to poyet...well poyet is a part of what was great and that was all.You get highs and lows and inevitably a low was due at the amex.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yes, it all started with Gus' comments about reaching the ceiling and everyone thought it was the start of GP making the first noises to leave for better offers. Maybe he wasn't the villain of the piece at all.

OG also made very similar comments when he was in charge. We need to ask why he wanted to leave, as well. It's a shame, because although I was never his biggest fan, I think Oscar could have built something here if he'd stayed another season (health conditions aside). He did very well to get us into the play-offs.

Were both Gus and Oscar aware that there was very little money for players and weighed it up against unrealistic expectations? Or did both just not get on with Barber et al (well, we already know that Gus didn't from his email, when he rightly threw his toys out of the pram over the clackers and sh*tgate).

Perhaps there was resentment over Burke's role in player recruitment (when the Gus thing blew up it was initially because he refused to talk to the players about the retained list - that was when he was suspended. He could have done this simply because he was throwing a hissy fit - or it could have been because he vehemently disagreed about being told which players we could afford to keep on).

We have lost two good managers and now seemingly have a clueless one. Perhaps Bloom likes Hyppia because he's a 'Yes' man and is just there to (hopefully) keep us in the Championship for the time being and not moan about the playing budget.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Bloom chose Barber over Poyet basically and the rest is history

If Bloom had given into Poyets every financial demand we would be stony broke. You got a spare 50mill U.S. .
That was The crux of Poyets 'ceiling' quote. What about successful Championship teams and their ceilings, they've been lower than ours . Poyet spent money but untimately failed and then went blaming lack of funds. If he had real bollox he would have rallied us all after the play off defeat and come back with a few small changes and got us up. You would have given him the financial reigns over Barber would you ?

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
The club is bigger than his ego and how we're doing has got nothing to do with it.
You like many on here are really not getting it and you can't grasp that whe poyet was here we as a club was on the crest of a wave and was always going to have a great 2-3 years when moving to the amex.

People on here really need to get a grip and realise this instead of thinking it's all thanks to poyet...well poyet is a part of what was great and that was all.You get highs and lows and inevitably a low was due at the amex.

No, Consistency is the key. Not 3 managers in 3 years and an entirely different squad.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
OG also made very similar comments when he was in charge. We need to ask why he wanted to leave, as well. It's a shame, because although I was never his biggest fan, I think Oscar could have built something here if he'd stayed another season (health conditions aside). He did very well to get us into the play-offs.

Were both Gus and Oscar aware that there was very little money for players and weighed it up against unrealistic expectations? Or did both just not get on with Barber et al (well, we already know that Gus didn't from his email, when he rightly threw his toys out of the pram over the clackers and sh*tgate).

We have lost two good managers and now seemingly have a clueless one. Perhaps Bloom likes Hyppia because he's a 'Yes' man and is just there to (hopefully) keep us in the Championship for the time being and not moan about the playing budget.

Good Post...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Time for the Club to come clean.

WHY was Poyet sacked?

I cant believe we've let them get away without telling us!

It will never come out. Give it up. The club equally don't have to say anything about something that took place 19 months ago. It's history.

Money is pretty much the only interest for players and managers - what potential issues took place 19 months ago are a total irrelevance.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
If Bloom had given into Poyets every financial demand we would be stony broke. You got a spare 50mill U.S. .
That was The crux of Poyets 'ceiling' quote. What about successful Championship teams and their ceilings, they've been lower than ours . Poyet spent money but untimately failed and then went blaming lack of funds. If he had real bollox he would have rallied us all after the play off defeat and come back with a few small changes and got us up. You would have given him the financial reigns over Barber would you ?

I dont think he needed to give in to his every demand no. I think he needed to manage Gus's ego better. Make him feel wanted. I think instead Bloom and Barber maybe played hardball with him, to show jhim it was 'their' club not his.. If they had been more sensitive Gus would have stayed..

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To make way for someone one who had left us a few years before to further his career elsewhere which was up to him and had moderate success to be charitable.

Getting Leicester promoted to the PL at the first attempt whilst under a transfer embargo was quite an achievement.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
THis is kind of what I mean. I dont really like him either... but when managing Egos you have to rise above personal feelings.
FFS he was doing an awesomne job. Look what he did for the club!
He managed a successful side and he got greedy...Lets be honest as we was bloody boring to watch most of the time and the football was so so frustrating,but like I said the club was on a high and we made the playoffs,so he did well.

He failed in the playoffs though and that squad should've gone up when we finished 4th to be honest :)

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
what potential issues took place 19 months ago are a total irrelevance.

If you really cant see the connection between those events and now then I Dont know what to say.

Where we are now is a direct consequence.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove

WHY was Poyet sacked?

He was sacked because his naked ambition to manage a 'bigger' club had become embarrassingly obvious, and overriding of any club necessities.
'
I remember being vilified by many on NSC for pondering 'whether it was time he was asked to clear his desk' when he returned from a sojourn to Reading (READING FFS!!!!) at a time when we were weeks away (as was clearly a great possibility at the time) of qualifying for the play-offs.

Gus is so obviously still after a London club job that it's laughable - he'll never change.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I dont think he needed to give in to his every demand no. I think he needed to manage Gus's ego better. Make him feel wanted. I think instead Bloom and Barber maybe played hardball with him, to show jhim it was 'their' club not his.. If they had been more sensitive Gus would have stayed..
How do you manage a man that blabbed on about chelsea and leeds etc all the time?
The man was a complete prick and so disrespectful to our club and owner...How we put up with his motor mouth so long is beyond belief...Yet we still have fans who worship the plonker...unreal.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes, it all started with Gus' comments about reaching the ceiling and everyone thought it was the start of GP making the first noises to leave for better offers. Maybe he wasn't the villain of the piece at all.

Did it? Wasn't that after the defeat to Palace. There were rumblings long before that suggesting that whether we went up or not he was leaving. What about the alleged phone call on the eve of the St Patrick's day massacre telling Bloom he would leave tomorrow if he let him!

so much easier in the Bamber/Mullery days..... great brighton fan chairman handpicks his man (a great ex pro) and the 2 work mutually well for each other......

That seemed to be the same with Bloom/Poyet until Barber, the corporate finance suit, got placed inbetween them. Poyet wanted bigger and better anyway but Barbers arrival seemed to accelerate to divorce

Are you being sarcastic? If not, perhaps you might want to check to see why Mullery left.

WHY was Poyet sacked?

I'm suspecting that you might be Gus or if not, then maybe you are Diego!

I'm also intrigued by your comment that Gus was proved right. He said we had hit the ceiling, ie he didn't like the budget. Well I believe we all knew at the time that the budget was limitless. Perhaps if Poyet wants to spend his own money then he too might be a bit more cautious.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
L
Reconcile with US.
Its not a cyclical thing when you have a good manager... Alex Fergusson's reign wasnt cyclical... it was consistent. So was Poyets regin with us. Consistantly UP.
Now its consistently down.
We need the truth of his sacking to come out, because that is where the poison that is killing this club lies.

Poyet refused to deal with the yearly contract renewal details and player retensions. He may or may not have chatted with Fulham as was rumoured which would have contravenied his contract rules - but I personally think that's unlikely. He just got in such a strop over it all that he wasn't doing his job properly. There are certainly confidentiality clauses written into his sacking so you might just have to forget about Poyet now and look at the present goings on.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
How do you manage a man that blabbed on about chelsea and leeds etc all the time?
The man was a complete prick and so disrespectful to our club and owner...How we put up with his motor mouth so long is beyond belief...Yet we still have fans who worship the plonker...unreal.

Well lets see if history will your view.
If we get stuck back down in League 1 the Poyet years will look a bit different to you then.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Whether Poyet was right or wrong, there's a certain way of doing things.
Coming straight out with it just after we'd been kicked in the b@llox by our fiercest rivals in one of the most important games in our history was most definitely NOT the way to do it.

That irks me more than anything about Poyet.

Agree totally. I thought Poyet did a great job taking us from 21st in League 1 to 4th in the Championship, but his post Palace comments were petty and small minded. He should leave such behaviour to us on NSC.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
Agree totally. I thought Poyet did a great job taking us from 21st in League 1 to 4th in the Championship, but his post Palace comments were petty and small minded. He should leave such behaviour to us on NSC.

LOL I do agree with that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here